Triple M Network

Triple M Sydney’s music has certainly edged more towards a ‘Greatest Hits’ regional format…

Heard today on Triple M that I know they wouldn’t have played 6 months ago:

One Love - Bob Marley And The Wailers
Atomic - Blondie
If I Could - 1927

Thankfully no Katy Perry or Culture Club yet :grin:

1 Like

The joys of studying all day…

I’m hearing exactly the same (loop) songs on Triple M GHD that I heard 12 hours ago, in exactly the same order.

I never thought groundhog day could occur in the same 24 hour period!

Oh and after this Meatloaf track is a Barnsey one if I remember rightly.

3 Likes

Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy’s new show “Kennedy Molloy” started today on Triple M Melbourne.

Did anyone hear it? I didn’t get a chance to tune in, but look forward to listening to the podcast when I get a chance.

2 Likes

the main Triple M used to do this when they ran all music overnight before Luke Bona took over the slot. Koool Digital radio in Melbourne and (unfortunately) Rebel FM plays the same songs they played earlier in the day in the same order overnight. Lazy programming if you ask me!

2 Likes

Pretty much. They could at least use the log from a few days ago to give more variety to the 24-hour period

Let’s face it- the only people who give a toss are us radio geeks. I agree that it’s lazy, though. Better to delegate the task to Barry the monkey who would at least shuffle the songs randomly (and perhaps come up with Hamlet for good measure).

3 Likes

Some interesting content coming out of Triple M Brisbane, as picked up by Radioinfo. https://radioinfo.com.au/news/when-networking-goes-wrong

5 Likes

That’s bizarre. Surely when the mics are faded out in the main/host studio that is exactly what goes to the network feed.

There’s too many network knobs overcooking that show.

Firstly you’ve got the pleasing two masters problem, broadcasting over two cities, localising TOH and other breaks + breaks with client credits (usually Bris) that have no relevance for GC.

Then you have the problem of too many people on air, can be up to five. When the anchor, Ben Wood is on hols/off air, never a replacement on air, Luke anchors.

Total lack of news integration, the journo is never brought into the show the way all good shows and Luke’s previous did.

Producer is overworked, rates station average, however the call load is immense. If broadcasting to two markets, surely resource it properly with at least two off air working on content.

Content, lot of it is forced and pre planned. Big change from the freewheeling and quite successful approach of the Luke and Mal days with Moyra. There’s the different dynamic right there, Mal Lees is a radio genius, so smooth on the panel and knows how to glue a break together. The others around Luke are much younger than Mal, they don’t have that experience.

It’s clear the talent is told is to speak up and down, rather than using natural ability, they aren’t given that freedom, so it sounds too structured. The right balance has not been struck.

Luke puts in a lot of work, it’s not clear what the others do and the meddling from above into the station about what they want blunts the talent by overcooking it.

1 Like

It appears that the mic feed was fading in Brisbane but not on the Gold Coast, maybe there was a issue with the feed not been faded down… It also seems there must not have been a panel op sitting at the console at Gold FM… But I guess when everything is running smooth there is no need for a Panel Op.
Either way I bet someones butt got kicked over that sorta thing going to air.

Another under resourced failure at Gold FM. 5pm GC break did not air, dead air, two local songs with the second cut off for the second break of the hour.

This is a tricky business made all the harder by not having a panel op.

Interesting how long it took for the problem to be noticed. No one is listening to key output at 5pm?

1 Like

Guess it goes to show in a age of digital automated technology there is still the requirement of human intervention

They had likely all knocked off for the day… However you think someone would have noticed and acted on the issue… But I guess all you can so is learn from the issue and try your best to avoid it in the future…

Maybe it’s the difference between running a direct feed from Brisbane to the GC rather than running the program via SCASat. SCASat doesn’t need anything to be faded down. When ads are played the source feed is completely dead - the only thing leaving the studio is ads for the host station which run on a channel that doesn’t feed into the network feed.

Or maybe they have the panel setup so they can send audio to the GC but not the Brisbane feed if the need to an someone fucked up turned it off.

Triple M Sydney have been playing a bit of Elton John of late, which is good to hear. I’ve never known them to ever play much Elton.

Though I’ve only heard “Tiny Dancer” a couple of times, but not any others of his. He’s got a lot of other stuff that I think is more suited to Triple M’s format eg. "“Kiss The Bride”.

2 Likes

Bennie and the jets you’ll hear on there too.

1 Like

Triple M has been playing AC/DC Non-Stop since 11 this morning following the Passing of Malcolm Young Overnight from Dementia, Ugly Phil started the Tribute off from Sydney and at 3, Dangerous Dave from Melbourne tooked over, How many other stations into Triple M Network are playing AC/DC without a Break? The Notable Exception is Modern Digital.

1 Like

Greatest Hits Digital are playing some tracks, but not non stop.

The regionals have also stuck with regular music, at least 2GO, KO and Port Macquarie.

Try Classic Rock Digital???

They just played 4 AC/DC songs in a row though

Almost stock standard for CRD :smiley:

I’ve never been a great AC/DC fan, but their place in the annals of rock history is well deserved. There aren’t too many classic rock doyens left now; RIP.

5 Likes