Triple M Network

I agree. Ever since Triple M ran the “music format” competition a few months ago, the overall quality of the station has improved IMO.

1 Like

I find myself listening less and less since the change of format. Too heavily weighted toward the old old stuff now.

I had thought for most of this decade that Triple M was trying to carve out an audience that wasn’t there… ie 20 something males with high disposable incomes that wanted new rock and football.

Those kinds of people didn’t exist. I think Triple M have now finally realised this and started targeting older males, and thus with an older skewed playlist, given the sister Hit stations would probably have a fair share of younger males listening to it anyway.

2 Likes

I remember a time when they wouldn’t play songs by any female artists or with female singers, such as Garbage.

ed kavalee announced this morning he is stepping down from the brisbane breakfast show at the end of this year and will be replaced by Lawrence mooney

Is heading to Hit in Melbourne to take over from Dave Thornton?

Listeners will get sick of the Malcolm Turnbull mimicry, which is the only impersonation he is capable of doing.

1 Like

During the traffic report at around 1pm, Triple M Sydney mentioned a car crash which had happened at an intersection in West Wollongong. I thought that was quite interesting to hear, because I can’t say that I have ever heard Illawarra incidents being mentioned in Triple M traffic reports before…

2 Likes

Had a feeling that was coming… given he has featured heavily on Fox over the last month.

So Ed Kavalee won’t have to pretend he lives in Brisbane beyond this year?

What a farce.

5 Likes

Neither will Osher. Pretty sure he did hit105 breakfast from his house in Bondi. SCA struggle to have locally based breakfast talent in a few places now.

I think there’s a bit of a reciprocity with traffic reports. I know that WSFM reports on problems on all freeways out of Sydney if there are serious incidents - especially if they’re affecting long distance traffic. Wave FM seems to report on any traffic affecting the Princes Highway in Sydney, and the Central Coast stations seem to also report on most traffic incidents on roads leading from the F3 terminus at Wahroonga.

2 Likes

Yes, I know on long weekends that WSFM have included traffic issues from as far north as Raymond Terrace (near Newcastle) when holiday traffic is returning to Sydney.

Whilst not many listeners up that way would have been listening to WS at the time, it is also useful for Sydney listeners if they are expecting family members, relatives or friends to return home.

2 Likes

The Central Coast and the Illawarra/South Coast are perhaps the most popular long weekend destinations with Sydneysiders, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if traffic incidents on the Pacific and Princes Highways were reported on all Sydney radio stations during peak holiday periods.

1 Like

A few years ago Triple M traffic reports were telling people about heavy traffic around the Sidney Myer Music Bowl due to people arriving for Candles by Candlelight. Only problem was they were a day early…

3 Likes

Is there an open dress rehearsal the day before?

That’s very true. I’ve heard Wave FM report traffic incidents affecting the Princes Highway in Sydney as well. The strangest thing about the Triple M traffic report, however, was that the incident occurred close to Mount Keira Road, which is simply a local arterial road near the Wollongong CBD. It would have only warranted being mentioned on the traffic reports of i98fm and Wave FM! :frowning:

Yes there has been dress rehearsal on December 23 for the past few years.

1 Like

It’s pretty common (and has been for a long time) for Brisbane traffic to report on incidents and conditions on both Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast roads and vice versa.

2 Likes

I once heard a report for major delays through Macksville on a Sydney commercial radio station; I can’t remember which one. For those that don’t know, Macksville is about half-way between Kempsey and Coffs Harbour and, coincidentally, roughly intermediate between Sydney and Brisbane. It was almost certainly during a major holiday period. Macksville is to be bypassed shortly, much to the relief of the Sydney sunseekers (^^).

(^^) Pro tip: in summer, it’s the South Coast that receives more fine weather (and it’s much less crowded).

2 Likes