Triple M Network

Not surprising.

3 Likes

Marty Sheargold denies he was booted from AFL grand final before taking personal leave (News.com.au)

3 Likes

Yeah I heard that on the catch up this afternoon. Certainly not what I would call great radio.

3 Likes

Could have been shipped off to rehab?

1 Like

He was already working at the rehab station.

1 Like

Not exactly something to speculate about, even if it does prove to be true.

2 Likes

Mick Malloy’s humour belongs in a bygone era, is cringeworthy and is a major contributing factor of what is wrong with Triple M. Surely to god he must pinch himself that someone actually decided he was worthy of a role. At best his aged humour is best suited to a Western Suburbs sportsman’s night. Stick to the pie nights Mick.

7 Likes

Marty Sheargold revealed today that he is taking an extended break to focus on his mental health.

(The full statement is also on his show’s Instagram)

5 Likes

Unfortunately that applies to most of the Triple M broadcasters.

4 Likes

Tonight’s “Nine at 9” on Nights with Dave Gleeson has thrown up some of the best 2001 classics, including:

• “Drive” by Incubus
  • “How You Remind Me” by Nickelback
  • “Smooth Criminal” by Alien Ant Farm

Just before that, U2’s “Atomic City” got another run. Good to see the station playing the song regularly (unlike Nova which would only play the odd Maisie Peters or Mimi Webb song just once).

4 Likes

We all have different preferences, they’re three immediate turn off tracks for me, finding another station immediately they begin.

4 Likes

all three of these songs are still on Triple M’s high rotation playlist today 22 years on.

1 Like

I don’t hear “Drive” much, but that’s by far the best of those three songs (funny that how the songs I like the most get played the least!).

3 Likes

I’m enjoying Lehmo on breakfast at the moment. I prefer a lighter style of entertainment when I wake up rather than Marty Sheargold’s ‘gruff’ style, which IMO would be more suited to drive. Except of course that slot already has James Brayshaw and Billy Brownless.

3 Likes

Lehmo is doing a good job filling in, I’m a bit Marty fan — but he’s got his own good style. Probably should have been looked at for Sydney breakfast over Mick and MG.

7 Likes
6 Likes

So saving money at MMM Melbourne by removing program staff yet Shaun Gough remains a protected species and invented a role for him.

Austereo’s club continues. Tothill still employed at Listnr? He’ll be the first program exec to claim the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card when finally given a golden handshake at shareholder expense.

Will ACP be the change needed to end this culture and broom them out once and for all?

5 Likes

Disappointed that Sarah Maree has finished up. Thought she was great on afternoons.

Happy to see Rosie back doing a music shift though.

10 Likes

An interesting excerpt from a Mediaweek article about changes to Hit & Triple M’s regional stations:

In several of our metros, Triple M is broadly becoming a 40+ boomer-Gen-X greatest hits format. Rock remains a part of Triple M. We could not say ‘rock’ for the next 40 years and we would still own rock!”

4 Likes

And therein lies the issue with Triple M across the board.

The 40-54 demographic incorporates elder milennials through to gen X. Today’s 40 year old was born in 1983 - their musical coming of age was the early-to-mid 90s.

Anyway, here’s Khe Sanh for the 28th time

8 Likes