Triple M Network

Only this week. Dangerous Dave is doing drive next week I believe on 3MMM and possibly networked to the Vic/Tas regionals.

4 Likes

Some errors on Dave Gleeson’s nights show tonight. The songs being played are not the same as the songs being announced. It seems to be one song ahead.

Edit: Seems to be fixed for the second hour.

6 Likes

I noticed that too in the first hour, but again in the Classic 9 at 9, when the Beatles song got played ahead of the related voice track (when it should have been before the song as it was announced as the next song).

4 Likes

Either SCA are content to have Triple M Sydney hover between Five and Six in the ratings ( the cumes are all over the shop), or they do not know how to tailor this station to the Sydney market. I get that many of the rusted on listeners to 2MMM long for the days of Mulray, Cranney, Duckworth, Club Veg to return, and that in itself is a problem -a legacy that is a weight around the necks of every other person to step up. There’s room for a male skewed rock station in Sydney, but good music personalities need to drive the content. Cant quite put my finger on what’s not working at breakfast. Is the pairing of Mark Geyer? is MG just too much of a bogan leaguie? I like Natasha Belling’s conribution and Cat seems to be improving as a host. One thing I do note, the spread of formats in the MMM DAB stable is having an impact on its Sydney radio cumes.

6 Likes

I get the feeling Triple M is there for the sport because that’s what makes them the money with sponsorship and product placement (a bit like SEN) even though ratings are low?

And the comedy and music is just filler around that?

I don’t think we’ll see the days of Mulray and like return, listeners have too many options these days with more stations and competing with a vast array of online content as well.

7 Likes

Ever since Triple M merged with the Today Network, it has felt like the M’s has been the poorer child with all the “million dollar tactics” going to the richer sister.

7 Likes

Triple M will never improve while it remains a hybrid music/talk/sport station. What is required is a music-focused broad rock station. Thank god for Rebel FM.

6 Likes

Seem to be hitting the targets pretty nicely.

#1 Men 25-54
#1 AFL
#1 NRL 25-54
#1 Nationally for Marty Sheargold 3-4pm - Men 25-54

2 Likes

But there’s no actual competition… Do you think if Rebel FM was up against Triple M on FM in the metros that they would be doing this well?

3 Likes

True, but they are fairly narrow demos in the overall scheme of things.

That might be somewhat sustainable in larger markets like SYD and MEL, not so much elsewhere.

4 Likes

you’re asking a hypothetical. They’re not, so who cares?

Triple M Adelaide says hello! Number 1 for the whole year so far.

So they must be doing the mix of everything right.

2 Likes

The listeners?

And the radio owners will care eventually as listeners drift off to streaming.

4 Likes

Yes, Adelaide is an unusual one. It has an older population I think, that may explain that result?

They don’t do anything much different to the other Triple M network stations in the eastern states, it just works there.

4 Likes

A wider playlist to Sydney and Melbourne helps

4 Likes

5MMM Adelaide is doing well due to the fact there is no ARN Pure Gold station there, plus the fact Cruise1323 is on AM.

This is also a reason 4MMM is also doing well.

2 & 3MMM are competing too much with WSFM & Gold104.3.

Hence why I keep saying they need to be more different. Ie- “chuck a Perth”.

5 Likes

In Adelaide and Brisbane, there is also some overlap with MIX102.3 and KIIS97.3, since both are a hybrid of the ARN stations in Sydney and Melbourne.

Not sure a Perth format is the answer, it’s still rating poorly.

3 Likes

As I said previously, Melbourne, Sydney and maybe Perth should go to a Active Rock format. The Rock in NZ seem to rate well over there.

5 Likes

Agreed.

“Sydney’s/Melbourne’s Rock Alternative” has a great ring to it.

1 Like

Yes Adelaide has a traditionally older population, however according the latest survey the numbers for TripleM is actually high across the younger ages too.

Second only to Nova across the board of younger ages.

As an Adelaide person on the forum, I can’t even explain that, they have hit the right cord in the market, in which people are willing to listen to at all age groups.

I also think they have been successful as they haven’t had the continual swapping of hosts across shows for the last few years, so listeners know who they’ll get at particular times throughout the day.

5 Likes