Triple M Network

Hey Mike (baz) I just get very frustrated when the warriors lose or I can’t listen to their games😂
Love your weekday stuff especially the 70’s throwbacks I’ve been hearing such as the doors, daddy cool and I heard reeling in the years today which I haven’t heard in ages.
On the footy though where my biased view differs to your view on the matter, is there a massive dip in listeners or something which resulted in change as previously you guys where all out for footy and have since dialed it back a fair bit, I think taking the footy is probably less damaging than what the cricket was in terms of ratings.
Eels look juicy not premiers but look better than my warriors.

I think @MikeByrne was referring to @Awabakal, not you @nzwarrior51 :blush: but I may wrong.

couldn’t care less who Byrne was referring to, fact is this area is football mad and KO FM should be doing more games, not less.

And if Mickey Maher had any actual responsibilities, and wasn’t just a figure-head to make it seem like the big city cares about the regional and rural stations, he’d step in and order it.

Hmm… it’s a bit presumptuous declaring that the “area is football mad” as a ‘fact’. I hear that a lot about Newcastle but the figures don’t back it up. Home game NRL crowds have dropped every year since 2012 and the average 2016 home game attendance (14,457) for the Knights is around 30% down on 2012 crowds. In fact the last two seasons are two of the lowest average crowds in Newcastle since 1988. Compare this to NQ Cowboys home game average crowd of 17,000 in Townsville. My point is maybe you’re overestimating the appeal just a bit and it’s more opinion rather than ‘fact’.

1 Like

Some of that is because the Knights have been wooden spooners for the last 2 seasons (they only won 1 game last year) and conversely the Cowboys won the comp in 2015 and got to within 1 game of the 2016 Grand Final.

Back when the Johns brothers were playing for Newcastle, home crowds were regularly in excess of 20,000.

4 Likes

So that still doesn’t support a statement that the whole area is “football mad”.

If the people don’t want to go and watch them lose, are they any more likely to want to listen to them lose on the FM radio? :slight_smile:

I’m only stirring - I know people do love their footy. Although I think the Cowboys still pull a crowd even when they’re losing.

2 Likes

Crowd figures are dissapointing in the hunter yes but in the late 90’s people never worked on Saturdays and most defiantly never Sunday. All changed some 20 years later, others simply can’t afford it and the tv product is better than a game day experience. Plus a team that gets flog consistently isn’t going to be an overly big crowd puller.
But 4TO don’t take a full footy coverage either from Triple M, they have their own call team like KO but seem to take Triple M’s night games and Cowboys games.

1 Like

It was great to listen to the Bruce Springsteen After Party on Triple M 104.9 driving home from the concert last night. I listen for about half an hour and was a mixture of live and studio tracks.

3 Likes

Sorry, been away for a few weeks OS. Has the rubber room finished? Seem to be getting Cold 30’s again in Brisbane at 7 (hooray!!)

2 Likes

Yep, Ugly Phil has moved into afternoons at Triple M Sydney + Melbourne

Excellent!

Another night, another concert. I listened to the Guns N’ Roses After Party on Triple M 104.9 on the way home from the show. I’m sure they’ll have it on again for the second show tonight.

1 Like

For those that haden’t seen the joke,

1 Like

New Triple M TVC.

There used to be only one Triple M. It was in Sydney. It was THE station. It was the only Triple M in Australia. Now there is a Triple M in every city and small town across the nation. Some Triple Ms broadcast on AM and some Triple Ms have Ray Hadley in the morning.

Triple M is the No.6 FM station in Sydney (behind KIIS, smooth, WS, JJJ and Nova). Does anyone reckon that is the House of M just played rock music - new, classic and alternative - and dumped the sport and “comedy” (the inverted commas are on purpose) that the station might be a bit more reliable and relevant? The station could be the rock version of smooth.

And how bizarre is Sting’s appearance in the ad?

4 Likes

Wow that was a bit yeah.

Tom & Olly, ex-hit104.9 The Border, have a new home. From tonight, they’re hosting 7-10pm Mon-Wed nights on Triple M Melbourne and Sydney, based in Melbourne.

Yeah Sting sticks out like the proverbial. Can’t remember the last time I heard a great Sting song on Triple M, or even anything decent from the Police! Ironically when Triple M was a great station you would have heard Sting. FM104 actually played a lot of Sting. In fact a couple of Sting songs make me think of 104 when I hear them - Fortress Around Your Heart, Russians, and Don’t Stand So Close To Me.

It’s kind of insulting for them to use an artist like Sting in the commercial when he’s not bogan enough to actually get airplay on the station! Fail.

One slight correction to be picky, there wasn’t only one Triple M .Remember FM104 launched as 4MMM originally :slight_smile:

1 Like

Completely agree Triple M could be relevant again if they dropped the sport and “comedy” and focused on quality and varied rock. Stand by for 4KQ to out-rate 4MMM this year.

3 Likes

Personally, I would not be terribly surprised if Triple M is the 2nd lowest rating FM commercial radio station in Sydney for most of this year.

I wonder if FM104 Brisbane was under the same ownership as Triple M Sydney back then or whether the similar callsign was just a coincidence?