Triple M Network

I suspect that getting advertisers is a big factor in this - I noticed when i listened at home I got fairly generic inserted ads, but when I listened in the car (via RadioApp) I was getting ads for Port Macquarie (which would be the closest “local” MMM station to me.

that reminds me, Triple M/Listnr are doing something weird with their streams that makes Sonos devices freak out at certain content (usually ads), complaining about the encoding. Especially frustrating when it happens using the official Triple M Sonos source

3 Likes

Same device? Could it be that your phone is passing on your location but your computer isn’t. Without GPS they have to rely on the details they ISP provide about your IP address which usually isn’t much more specific than which state you’re in.

2 Likes

Same device - the only thing that I can think of is that one was streaming the “Triple M Cricket” station and one the “Triple M Sydney” station

2 Likes

Maybe the new pre-roll ads that SCA have recently started are causing the issue?

2 Likes

I live in Tweed too and listen to Rebel all the time. I did actually use to listen to Triple M Brisbane around the northern parts of Tweed before Gold FM rebranded to Triple M I found once I get south of Kingscliff the Brisbane FM’s cut out if I go up north I can get Brisbane FM’s up to Noosa.

7 Likes

Gotta say, really getting sick of the Flock of 80s weekends. If I wanted to listen to Gold, I would… listen to Gold.

6 Likes

Is there one this weekend?

I quite like them actually, todays Flock Of 80s Friday was good with a few 12 inch mixes (Hot In The City in Sydney, and Devil Inside on the regionals).

5 Likes

3MMM appears to be running it at least.

Really like it on the Fridays, but find the weekend is much more safe. Some odd choices too - Spandau Ballet - True for instance.

7 Likes

What sort of programming is this?

Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

Talk about an overload.

4 Likes

I much prefer it to sport.

4 Likes

I agree. How about adding a 90’s, 00’s, A to Z of Rock or a Classic Rock weekend every now and then.

5 Likes

That’d be better as it would highlight their DAB+ channels.

4 Likes

No Flock of 80s Weekend in Sydney, just the usual “Rock’s Greatest Hits”, but from listening today, the music has definitely softened compared to last year. Among the songs I heard from 1-3pm ish today

Wouldn’t It Be Good - Nik Kershaw
You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
We Built This City - Starship
The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Roar - Katy Perry :slightly_smiling_face:

The last song was a joke - definitely was NOT played!

4 Likes

I wonder if we’ll hear any subtle changes from Monday when Mick & MG launch on 2MMM.

The “Rock, Sport and Comedy” mentions have ramped up.

I wonder (and hope) this’ll spell the end for “Rocks Greatest Hits”.

2 Likes

I know they probably won’t - but would love to see them become “Sydney’s Real Alternative”, like 6MMM.

5 Likes

Not a LISTNR app user, but I also suspect some of the ads especially during sports matches are there to replace gambling advertisements where I’m sure there’s some restriction to them being streamed.

4 Likes

I have never understood the branding “Flock of 80s”

I guess it’s a play on “Flock of Seagulls” as they were an 80s band. You can have a flock of seagulls - but what is meant by a flock of a decade? It makes as much sense as a “Tears for 80s” weekend or a “Frankie Goes to 80s” weekend. Did they just choose an 80s band and substitute the decade in their name? Or am I missing something?

Just call it a “Rock of the 80s” weekend.

Clear. Concise. Meaningful. Cut-through. Makes sense. Got it.

7 Likes

Abbreviation for Flock of 80s Music.

1 Like

As much as I like 80’s music, I don’t like just listening to specific years all day and tend to switch over when flock of 80’s is on. Much prefer 70s to now (variety)

4 Likes

I totally agree and the 70s had some smash hits.

I remember when EON in Melbourne branded themselves as the “Rock of Ages”.

I never quite understood what it meant but it worked.

4 Likes