Triple M Network

Looks like Cat is the anchor for the new breakfast show.
Who takes her afternoon slot?

3 Likes

Cornelius (Con) Mendez has joined the Triple M Brisbane family as Executive Producer of Rush Hour with Leisel, Liam and Dobbo.

2 Likes

2MMM digital are so far behind.

The 2MMM Breakfast Facebook page still has the previous show cover photo.

And the 2MMM website has today’s first MG & Mick podcast already uploaded, with the previous 2MMM breakfast team photo attached to it.

3 Likes

i wish they would play retro charts - for example, every saturday afternoon play the top 20 from that week from a year from the 70’s or 80’s. doesn’t need to be any rationale for the year - just do it randomly

5 Likes

I wish Triple M would feature more new rock. Yes, I said “rock”.

Listening to 2MMM this morning and it just feels like they’re going through the same usual cycle. Staying inside the same ‘bogan bubble’, regardless of who the new brekkie line-up is.

5 Likes

Were you expecting high-brow from Mick Molloy?

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting SCA to select Melbourne’s Mick Molloy to rescue Sydney’s Triple M.

5 Likes

Sydney deserves to be rocked and to be rocked really hard.

Instead, 104.9 is a cross between WSFM and SEN.

5 Likes

And these days, it’s embarrassing that 2MMM even crosses over with 2DayFM at times.

4 Likes

maybe MMM is changing format to “Good Times and Greatest Hits” in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth?

4 Likes

MMM Melbourne already IDing as “Good Times and Rock’s Greatest Hits”.

2 Likes

I can’t see them changing Perth given they’ve only just gone Alternative Rock.

3 Likes

if the new format for MMM in Perth fails in the ratings after even one survey, I can see them changing back to “Good Times and Rock’s Greatest Hits” soon. It happened in Melbourne and Sydney in 1996.

2 Likes

Surely SCA wouldn’t chop & change formats of a brand new station again so soon?

1 Like

I enjoyed Molloy’s first show today. He’s very much the front man directing the show with MG taking a back seat. He’s pretty much resuming where he left off with his solo Drive show in 2021 but on breakfast.

Quite a different show to what 2MMM breakfast has been the last few years even under Moonman so I’m curious to see how it goes.

5 Likes

Recently back from a trip to NZ where I gave the Rock a decent listen to during several road trips. Now that is a decent rock station MMM could learn a thing or two from. Things that stuck out:

• The playlist sounded fresh and very broad, but still included a lot of older songs, just not the same ones that get bashed to death ten times a day here
  • Examples included “Death By Rock 'N Roll” from a few years back, which I ended up HATING at the time because 5MMM (and all the other MMM’s) flogged it to death, before removing it never to be heard again
  • They also played Linkin Park’s Faint - again something that used to get a decent run on MMM, but that hasn’t been heard in years, that sounds really good if it pops up occasionally on a rock station playlist
  • Less talk and way more music

Overall it made MMM here sound really, really stale, notwithstanding how they switch from talk to cricket to rock’s greatest hits to flock of 80’s to good times and greatest hits to whatever the next thing is.

My suggestion: start a DAB station similar to the Rock NZ, focus on rock, less talk, no live sport, with a broad playlist that covers the last three decades or so of rock, and don’t be afraid to chuck in some heavier stuff. Do away with most of the niche decade-based stations, especially when they’re likely to play INXS one minute and Kylie Minogue the next, and see how it goes. Until then, I’ll be streaming the Rock at home here in Australia.

9 Likes

I really like The Rock NZ too, although personally I think Rebel still has the edge.

3 Likes

I could not agree with you more there mate.

I was in NZ for work, early last year and I was glued to The Rock.

2 Likes

That’s the worst thing they could do. I love the current Perth music format. It’s just a shame about some of the shows between the songs. They just need to get the music/show balance right, and they’ll be on a winner.

7 Likes

Agreed. Perth needs to get rid of Rush Hour VIC and put Marty’s show at that later time.

2 Likes