Triple M Network

They’ve done a national summer breakfast show for a couple of weeks before Christmas previously. Not for a few years though. Maybe 2018 was the last time? I recall they once did Tom and Olly with Lawrence Mooney.

Usually only runs until the week before Christmas and then it’s light on until the normal shows return in January.

3 Likes

No idea where the summer 600 countdown is going
I just heard “shake your tail feather” :joy:
Tim Pine presenting afternoons, no idea if he’s doing so from Sydney or Adelaide.

4 Likes

Is this in Sydney or where?
Very interesting song choice if Sydney.

2 Likes

I’ll be spewing if this is just a, “Let’s broaden the playlist for Summer only” type countdown.

3 Likes

Yes Sydney

3 Likes

The regionals are doing their own version and as you can imagine it’s pretty average.

6 Likes

the regionals music log is pretty average and soft

6 Likes

Regionals and Metros are running the same music log at nights with Dave Gleeson’s Nights now on its summer break. The music is metro format skewed.

5 Likes

And if you have a station with “Australia today” it’s delayed 2 hours.

I switched from KOFM to 2MC and had to listen to the same songs again for another 2 hours*

• I didn’t, iPod saved the day.
5 Likes

The “Summer 600” countdown on the metro Ms has been a good listen so far - as always the first few hundred are a more interesting listen than the top few hundred.

But the choice of songs of raises a few questions (a few examples below)

Never Let Me Go - The Black Sorrows
Shake A Tailfeather - Ray Charles
Maggie May - Rod Stewart

• If, as Triple M claims the songs are chosen by the listener, why is it that they never play artists like Rod Stewart and Ray Charles any other time? And/or why would Triple M listeners vote for their songs?

• Re Black Sorrows song, this only got to # 30 in when released in 1991, how could it possibly make song (approx ) #450 in this countdown?

5 Likes

They do play Rod Stewart just not very often. I’ve never heard Ray Charles though.

4 Likes

I really hope the Top 600 countdown is a bridge between a format change in Sydney towards the Perth model. I’m not convinced it is but would be great if it was.

4 Likes

If anyone says SCA is happy with 2MMM’s performance, surely they can’t be right.

Even their talent are all caught up with the bogan battler feel, with Gus openly calling all his listeners “Battlers, who love Barnsey” on the Today Show the other day.

It’s time for a generational shift at 2MMM. Something WSFM and Gold104.3 do so well.

8 Likes

if there own presenters don’t know the current target market, thats a problem. the target market is not the “battlers who love barnsey” - its the tradies out on the worksite, probably making six figures. this is re-enfoced by the advertising - when i switch on (which is not that often tbh) i seem to hear adverts for total tools and cars

7 Likes

If anything, i suspect Triple M Sydney might be shifting a little more towards Classic Hits, based on what I’ve heard in the countdown… and as I heard Kim Wilde’s “Kids In America” a little while ago, another song they don’t normally play.

2 Likes

I agree it’s more tradies than battlers, but I think that’s far too narrow. I think that’s Triple M’s problem, people see it as the bogan tradie station so they won’t listen. Surely they need to make it broader appealing. It’s not just tradies who like good quality rock or classic hits even. Rebel manages to pump out some really great rock without alienating people.

7 Likes

it’s a far cry from the 80s when EON FM’s biggest advertisers were nightclubs, live music venues and alcohol.

4 Likes

Or FM104 who played all types of rock and had huge numbers of women listening.

5 Likes

Marty has said in interviews he wants the station to broaden to all listeners not just a certain male demo, he’s show is a good example of a male skewing show that can appeal to more audience groups, especially women.

8 Likes

people need to stop being so offended ffs

1 Like