Triple M Network

What do you mean? Alienated is not the same as offended. Alienating an audience in this context means to fail to connect or make them feel included, by focusing entirely on things that don’t relate to or interest them. It’s absolutely nothing to do with being offended.

10 Likes

they could always change stations if they hate rock music

1 Like

It’s not about hating rock music. It’s about the format being so narrow that it makes even the core audience turn off. I like (some) rock music, but the constant sport talk is garbage, and I’m smack bang in the target demo!

If I hear the AFL or cricket on air, I switch over. Whereas the current 92.9 Triple M music format is fantastic! But as soon as they switch back to network programming, I’m out.

9 Likes

It’s a fair point. But I think there is a market for FM style talkback/sport coverage (ala Triple M). It provides a good alternative to AM talkback and sport coverage.

But you can’t run that 24/7 on FM and that’s why it gets interspersed within a music format station.

Sure, it alienates music fans like yourself but it does maintain at least 70-80% of the existing audience and also according to the AFL radio ratings at least, it’s clear that Triple M Footy attracts listeners from other stations on the weekend so it’s still a win-win for them.

2 Likes

It’s not the music that is a turn off - apart from the narrow and overall pretty safe playlist. It’s the other content. Just curious if you’ve ever listened to Rebel FM - that is an actual rock music station, much more so than Triple M.

5 Likes

I hope they don’t. If they are targeting tradies they need to go more the other way. I am a tradie myself and I have heard what most tradies like listening to. Leave the Classic Hits for WS & 2UE.

3 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed on Triple M lately is that they seem to have a lot of technical issues. There regularly seems to be errors such as long patches of dead air, two ads playing over the top of each other and sweepers playing over the top of ads. Perhaps they are errors caused by automation. It sounds so amateur.

4 Likes

On the cricket or on normal programming?

1 Like

I’ve noticed it a bit in the cricket pre-match over the last couple of days. But it’s also been happening during normal music programming.

4 Likes

i have listened to rebel great station just been a triple m listener for years i did use to listen to rebel at work in tweed heads when the triple m brisbane signal was poor just want triple m to play more music and less sports calls sydney needs to bring back the chaser boys also how does marty sheargold rate at the 3pm slot isnt that show pre recorded and just takes the bestr from melbournes breaky show

3 Likes

I have noticed it at times in the post, not so much lately… Reminds me of the night it played the same 30 sec Certigy Ezy Pay ad for about 45 minutes straight before someone fixed the error.

3 Likes

SCA announced Triple M’s 2023 line-up this morning.

7 Likes

I’m pleased Nights with Dave Gleeson is back next year… that’s my favourite Triple M show by a country mile.

3 Likes

Evenings show for Perth is JB and Billy, while Luke Bona is on overnights.

4 Likes

And I assume Triple M Adelaide would also take JB and Billy along with Perth.

They did this year in an abridged one-hour highlights show at 6pm during the AFL season.

4 Likes

Have they announced the regionals yet? Interesting that’s Gippsland is the only Victorian station that is live 9:00 to 11:00. Ellerina is moving the QLD so wonder if that will continue

5 Likes

I asked that question when the announcement was made.

If Ellerina will not be replaced in Gippsland, that’ll be another free pass to ACE & TRFM.

5 Likes

Also interesting that Bendigo & Albury are the only 2 that support a dual breakfast show and Gippsland, Goulburn Valley and Mildura are all solos. Bendigo is the best by a mile

4 Likes

Triple M Breakfast with Roo, Ditts and Loz

Triple M Mornings with Dangerous Dave

Triple M Mornings with Leachy

The Rush Hour with Bernie, Blewey and Jars

If someone was to create a satirical comedy for ABC TV that aimed to poke fun at the sad state of FM radio in Australia, they could not make this shit up.

12 Likes

Remember back in the day announcers had full names.

11 Likes