Triple M Network

Triple M these days doesn’t have to be about rock music. I think that era may be done - and a good example is what Perth is doing to keep the playlist fresh.

If SCA wants to keep the rock, they need to become more like Rebel or B-Rock. Otherwise, broaden their options without turning into NewFM.

4 Likes

Triple M put pagey on gardening ledge over the past month

3 Likes

That’s makes a lot of sense…not. You put somebody on gardening leave if they are going to work for the competition so as to keep them out of the loop of sensitive developments. Unless they really thought that the interim replacement was seriously a long term option which it clearly wasn’t.

So the $64,000 question is where to now? Do they transplant the drive show, would be a like for like replacement IMHO.

2 Likes

I disagree. While I’m not particularly a fan of this sort of music, them including it is a nice break from the monotony of constant rock. It’s the same concept that Nova used back in their “Sounds Different” era. It’s jarring enough to make you sit up and go “cool, I wasn’t expecting that.” Their entire playlist at the moment is fantastic. They’re clearly chasing listeners who used to listen to Triple J and Nova back in the late 90’s/early 00’s.

8 Likes

Yes I don’t mind it either, although I think Virgin Radio in the UK does it a bit better, mixing rock with more hot ac songs that have a rock feel.

2 Likes

Virgin is deadly boring and borders on Gold 104.3 a lot of the time

1 Like

Putting their Rush Hour Sydney team at 2MMM breakfast is just the easy way out.

Let’s be more original rather than yet another reshuffle.

And we don’t need more sport talk at brekkie.

2 Likes

It’s not Rush Hour

It’s an interesting trio though.

Media release out soon

1 Like

Mick Molloy, MG and (newsreader) Natarsha Belling.

5 Likes

Finally, a refreshing and original lineup.

All but confirms moving over the 2Day breakfast show in 2024.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see how Molloy goes in Sydney

3 Likes

100%. the problem with MMM is that it is schizophrenic - is it music? is it sport? is it talkback? pick one and stick with it

4 Likes

Is this for real?

2 Likes

Has Mick’s Melbourne pub gone bust already? He seemed pretty adamant about doing something different when he gave up the afternoon show last year. They must be offering him a shit load of money to do this given he struggled to commit to the Melbourne Triple M Breakfast show even when others were doing the heavy lifting- often late even with a 7am start or having a sickie.

Loved Mick throughout The Late Show and Martin Molloy days but I can’t see this having longevity and it has the potential to end badly in the same way Mooney’s stint came to an end.

Is Sydney that bereft of talent that they constantly need to get people so heavily associated with and based in Melbourne? There’s no way he’ll move to Sydney given he shares custody of his twins.

I’d hardly consider Belling to be a good fit for Triple M.

4 Likes

Tis

1 Like

It might have gone a bit soft recently but it still plays songs Gold wouldn’t touch, like Common People / Pulp for example. I think it’s a format that would work for Triple M in both metro and regional areas (i.e. they could actually share a playlist and be a cohesive network). But the bigger problem for Triple M is the mish-mash of sport and talk which keeps music listeners away, in my case permanently.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but talk in breakfast is necessary.

2 Likes

That’s a very bad choice.

2 Likes

Breakfast isn’t the problem, although they push the boundaries there with the % of music. It’s the talk in drive and airing cricket matches - that’s the problem.

2 Likes
4 Likes