Triple M Network

Yep totally agree. When Marty first started they skewed a little more modern for the first month or so and then fell back into their current format. While I don’t think they need to be as extreme as Perth , they could reposition to play “more 90’s to Now” essentially keeping some the classics but also getting some of the edgier rock from 90’s/00’s back in the playlist

4 Likes

Gold (and Smooths) biggest success imo is they stick to Music with announcer’s. It would be interesting how successful MMM would be if they did this and dropped the Marty Show and Rush Hour and just had a good announcer on. MMM WA regional do this with Cliff for the drive.

I’m a 50 yr old who lives in Melbourne and much prefer MMM Regional than Metro. I prefer MMM over Gold as they throw in some new stuff and include the likes of Ed Sheeran which Melb don’t. But when it’s “drive” time and the endless dribble starts I switch to DAB MMM Country which do a top 20 at 17:00 each afternoon.

So many people are streaming now as they just want to hear music.

I think if Perth is successful and I like what I heard today streaming (similar to Music that rocks) I reckon Melbourne and Sydney might go down that path.

5 Likes

I’m the same. Unless they drop the drivel and endless talk, I can’t listen to Triple M even if the music is good. Especially the drive show. I switch off and don’t come back.

5 Likes

I suppose that’s what is appealing towards Triple M Perth. That they’re actually focussing more on their music rather than “sport and comedy”.

It’s what Triple M should be about.

5 Likes

I just hope that they give the format enough time to settle. When they tried “music that rocks” back in 2009 for Mel/Sydney, they only gave it about 2 months and I feel they sabotaged it by playing too much electro pop like Dukes of Windsor, Potbellez etc to get a negative listener response. This was then used to say oh we are going to play lots of 70’s/80’s or greatest hits using the current network branding

6 Likes

Chris Page leaving 2MMM breakfast at the end of the year.

2 Likes

Shame. He held that breakfast show together admirably through so many line up changes. I thought he worked really well with Lawrence Mooney. Haven’t listened to the station since Mooney and Molloy departed.

Is he staying with SCA?

2 Likes

Becko, now Pagey… End of a solid run at 2MMM.

Maybe if the Perth format kicks off they might revamp the entire network?

I’d like to see 2MMM Breakfast get a facelift. It still feels like a ‘fill-in show’ since Moonman left.

3 Likes

I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say that I listen to Triple M Perth with this current music format. The recent shift of the breakfast show to Xav & Michelle is a bit better too. They can still lean male, but keep things a bit more balanced. But the minute they shift into their overly blokey talk-shows, or broadcast the footy, I’m out.

6 Likes

Triple M in perth now has the slogan “perth’s real alternative” like what is it the alternative for? 96FM? I mean triple m perth now has a similar format to 96 now that it’s playing slightly newer music but If it is 96fm it’s kinda funny as when it was first launched they advertised as “finally perth has a real rock station” and also took the piss out of 96fm’s format.

3 Likes

Finally there’s hope!! I saw them play Parkway Drive & Almost Monday this arvo.

They’re crazy if they don’t bring this log over east.

7 Likes

The new Triple M Perth “variety” reminds me of the old Nova969 when it first launched.

I’m sure if the slogan “sounds different” was available, they’d use it.

Can anyone confirm if this was similar to Adelaide’s Triple M during their “Totally Different” era?

3 Likes

I was in Adelaide at this time. They virtually played zero rock unless it was Aussie indie stuff popular at the time like kisschasy & The Vines.

Totally Different was always going to be a temporary format blocker to lessen the blow, having said that, Adelaide already had Fresh.

This was the first time I heard Chris Page, the presentation was very “out there” & “ott”, I actually preferred their version of “Nova”.

It was wild, unpredictable & the music was hot with a shitload of EDM & Rhythmic Hip Hop.

They ended the format at the end of the year when they featured Triple M’s 1000 countdown which was a return to the classic rock

6 Likes

What a bumpy history Triple M Adelaide has had.

Then some years later they went “Classic Rock”.

3 Likes

I haven’t listened to Triple M regularly for many years, not that I don’t like a lot of the music but it’s very repetitive and a narrow playlist.

I like many others on here been listening to the Perth station this week and think it’s brilliant. It’s refreshing and much more like MMM should sound like. I agree that they’d be crazy not to move the format to Sydney and Melbourne.

6 Likes

Sounds like interesting times. But I always thought at the time how risky it was to potentially piss off their audience for a “temporary blocker” format, only to return to the old format. Surely they lost listeners that never went back, and the new listeners who liked what they heard would have left when classic rock returned. It’s lose-lose surely.

2 Likes

And Brisbane. I don’t know anyone who’s that happy with what 4MMM are doing and they seem quite stagnant. They haven’t picked up any 4KQ listeners which is p*ss poor in my opinion. It would probably go well in Brisbane given Triple J was very popular and the older listeners are looking for somewhere to go. Flogged and very narrow rock, sport and bogan-comedy aren’t very appealing to this audience.

6 Likes

So how many formats are Triple M running at the moment on traditional radio?

Melb & Sydney - Rocks greatest hits (the most boring of the lot)
Perth - real alternative.
Regional & Brisbane / Adelaide. Good time and greatest hits.
Does the AM stations that take Australia today have another version or is it the same as Good times and greatest?

Must say I do enjoy MMM Country, but understand that’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

7 Likes

They also have the “Good Times & Greatest Hits” format.

3 Likes

Brisbane/Adelaide and regionals appear to run seperate logs, BNE/ADL don’t play the likes of Robbie Williams, Michael Jackson or Pink that airs on the regional Ms.

4 Likes