Triple M Network

I actually quite like the footy but not sold on them needing to cover cricket over summer which use to be their maximum music season over late December/January. At least there are some of the digital stations to fill the void

3 Likes

Yep. Instead of a Triple M Garage Session free concert in Manly with Thirsty Merc, we’re now treated to Triple M Rocks Cricket.

I wish Triple M would rock Music rather than rock Sport.

4 Likes

I would prefer them stick to music. I can’t see why they don’t move sport to DAB

3 Likes

Easy. The sports content is heavily sponsored, with all sorts of different paid elements. It makes more money for them than a music shift.

5 Likes

Yes you can add Menulog mentions during a VB sporting commentary call that you just can’t do with music brought to you by O’Brien Glass. It will really piss off the Coles listeners if you drop in sponsors names during songs. That’s my Bunnings Warehouse opinion.

4 Likes

If that was the case every second traditional ad wouldn’t be for their self produced podcasts which probably would make as much as I would if I used a copyrighted song on a YouTube video.

3 Likes

There’s nothing to stop Triple M from having a “heavily sponsored” well produced music show… and you wouldn’t have so many talking heads to pay for.

5 Likes

No there’s not, but it’s harder to weave in and it’s not destination content.
Brands want to be aligned with sports - easier to sell the McDonald’s Scoreboard or whatever than the Music fact of the day, if you get what I mean.

6 Likes

Dont you mean the Bunnings Trade Pass Power Opinion?

3 Likes

Major problems in Melbourne or very inexperienced engineers, callers to MMM’s talkback show, Luke Bona’s The Nightshift report the 3MMM program is on 101.9 and the 3FOX program on 105.1.

Would never have happened when SCA’s predecessors ran separate broadcast infrastructure for each metro station. Yet now in the IP world of cost cutting, it’s all built together.

What a shambles. Disgraceful SCA.

9 Likes

Sounds about normal for them… they did that in the first days of DAB on the Gold Coast. Sea FM was on Triple M and Triple M was on Sea FM for 5 days

5 Likes

This happened once while Dangerous Dave was on-air about 5-6 years ago and he swore on air trying to work out why 3FOX’s music was going through his panel. - “What’s this shit music?”

7 Likes

isnt that just a normal response to SCA stations playlists :wink:

10 Likes

its a weird thing though. the sorts of people who would turn the cricket on the radio all day would already have a station preference - probably the ABC. I don’t know the ratings of the cricket, but i suspect its not fantastic

1 Like

You’d be surprised. The average punter switches to AM and scans the dial aimlessly until they find the cricket. Obviously likely to miss Triple M by switching to AM but in recent years they’ve been likely to find Macquarie’s former coverage or SEN (as well as the ABC).

4 Likes

Had a listen back - it sounded more like RF issue than IP. So potentially an issue at BA? -shrugs-

4 Likes

Sorry. Send me off to the Dare Ice Coffee sin bin.

3 Likes

Might have been, going off callers to MMM Nightshift reporting dead air and swapped programs on the SCA Melbourne frequencies.

It’s still a problem that shouldn’t happen and wouldn’t if such a profitable network invested in engineering staff and owning their broadcast path end to end as much as possible.

5 Likes

I get your point. But it was the middle of the night so no doubt could have been some planned maintenance that went wrong.

Also keeping in mind they did just move locations in South Melbourne. So it could have been a final migration of master control and the primary STL from Clarendon St to Moray St.

3 Likes

I think @crankymedia reply was reasonable and balanced… are you a salty SCA minion?

3 Likes