Triple M Network

I prefer the music mix on the DAB stations to the main stations. The sound has improved markedly since the ABC did their DAB upgrades last year and the music has also improved across the board. I don’t listen to Hard’N’Heavy but MMM 90s and 80s are good. MMM 90s is miles better than Greatest Hits and 80s, whilst not as good as Soft Rock, it has some good songs without the talk.

WSFM 80s has a good playlist, but the sound is very low, in Sydney anyway. I listen to Smooth 80s on the RadioApp as it’s not on DAB here.

2 Likes

It will be great to have female talent at breakfast on Triple M Perth.

Be interesting to see who is Michelle’s replacement on The Rush Hour. Hopefully a female talent.

2 Likes

I think Triple M do quite well with female talent despite being a very male skewing station.

Even though a lot of their headline talent in recent times has been male (ala Marty Sheargold, Molloy, Moonman, Eddie Mcguire etc), the female on air team and even the producers get a lot of air time on all those shows.

Easy current examples are Loren Barry on Marty Sheargold’s show and Rosemary Walton who is honestly the heart and soul of Triple M Melbourne. She even pops up during the very blokey Saturday Rub (she’s also the panel op) and actually has a very prominent voice while panelling.

5 Likes

Mick Molloy Tickets | Comedy Show Times & Details | Ticketmaster AU

With Mick and Marty this would have been a triple M giveaway for sure except it includes Moonman and Sam pang.

I still think this would be a cracker of a show

1 Like

The obvious one is Brit Taylor from the dead set legends may just depend on her other work commitments unless they poach someone from a rival station.

3 Likes

Maybe Ian “Blackers” Blackley is Michelle’s replacement. Appears he is no longer at 6IX, page has been deleted and all references to him gone.

https://www.6ix.com.au/on-air/6ix-music-breakfast/
https://www.6ix.com.au/on-air/ian-blackley/

1 Like

When talking female talent on MMM, don’t forget Laura “Loz” O’Callaghan who joined the traditionally very-blokey Mark Ricciuto and Chris Dittmar breakfast show recently, and took the station to number one on the FM dial for the first time in years. Along with the “good times, greatest hits” format it feels like 5MMM are moving closer to a Gold-FM style format, and away from the traditional MMM, which feels inevitable when the playlist was never refreshed in recent years.

6 Likes

Benji Marshall has quit Triple M after signing a five-year coaching deal with NRL team Wests Tigers last week. He will work as an assistant for the next two years under new head coach Tim Sheens, before taking over the lead role from Sheens in 2025.

5 Likes

No mention today on Triple M Perth Rush Hour that Michelle is leaving. In fact, they said see you Monday. Surely she can’t be doing breakfast and drive? She’s meant to be on breakfast from Monday.

3 Likes

Got a response from Triple M Perth, Michelle is now starting breakfast Wednesday and will be on The Rush Hour until then. I assume we will find out her replacement Monday or Tuesday.

2 Likes

Could former 6ix Breakfast announcer Ian Blackley find himself back at the Subiaco studios!!

3 Likes

My bet is you’re right.

1 Like

Yes, as I posted 8 days ago… Triple M Network - #4184 by joshpolyy

1 Like

92.9 rush hour announcer job is listed on Jocks journal so they are obviously looking for someone new.

2 Likes

Homegrown is back from Monday 10pm. Hosted by Matty O.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgq03hWtDLu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

So same show but have adopted the “original name” which sounds so much better than Triple M Aussie. I can remember when Kent Forbes hosted Homegrown on Monday nights back in the late 80’s.

3 Likes

now, as a, well, entirely outsider here, looking at the entire post and searching about how MMM has been developed over the years, it’s just been somewhat very radical to me, if not shocking, to see it switched from super-active rock like in its 2MMM 80s days, to more comedy, more sports, to classic rock, and now, they are nearly completing their switch to classic hits…

after whopping six years since the sabotage of the localworks network and turning into the MMMs, SCA’s promise of not changing their music format is showing reverse effect for metropolitan roots, and the effect is especially shown after the sudden death of the great 4KQ. Almost everyone is now “classic hits”, with only Sydney/Melbourne/Perth is Classic Hits with significant mix of Classic Rock ala Rock’s Greatest Hits.

sometimes things change over time, but very few things could transform into something too different that it would have to take days to people to realize what had it been before - this is what describe the evolution of MMM best. Now they’re just like “SCA Gold” for 98% of them.

since i’m an outsider, i would not having opinions on is it good or bad or worse or something, but, i just hope if they really transform themselves into SCA Gold, they would do something to keep things straight and not alienating audience too much. the rest of the story, the situation, and opinions would be yours.

right now my head is just like: “Triple M - M stands for Magic”/“Triple Magic”. I know obviously that if SCA is making this strapline on air reality, Nine and/or Ace would sue them immediately, but this would sum up whatever happened to MMM right now, at least in my views lol.

hope that the next generation of Australian rock radio will appear again - no matter on dab, online or fm, but let it just happen, for the sake of diversity. thank you.

4 Likes

It feels like the current format’s origins can be traced back to the mid 00’s, when the older hits of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s were still on heavy rotation, and the occasional “newer” tracks, mainly from bands already on the M’s, would appear, get played to death, then disappear from the playlist completely. There was never any purposeful refreshing of the playlist during the day with music by bands like Kasabian, so over time the playlist just became playing the same core of Queen, RHCP, Foo Fighters and Pink Floyd tracks day after day.

Now into 2022, and with few tracks from the last 10-15 years to fill the void, the only alternative other than going nuclear was to move laterally into a “Greatest Hits” format to expand the playlist. I agree and hope we do see a modern rock format on FM or DAB soon.

7 Likes

Or yet, switch off Analogue and join LISTNR.

1 Like

TripleM Melbourne and Sydney were quite modern between 2001-2005 with 90’s and New stuff format, playing a lot of bands like Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Blink182 mixed in the Seattle sound of the 90’s ( RHCP, Bush, Nirvana to name a few). It was a different time when rock music was still hitting the top40 and they were trying to null the effect of Nova. Since then SCA has made the choice to strategically age the station to follow it’s demographic getting older while you could say ARN have tried to make Gold/WS more relevant to a younger audience so they are meeting in the middle around that 40-55 bracket. That said agree there is big void for a Modern rock alternative whether it’s perhaps back on DAB. There isn’t much in the space between classic hits/AC on Gold and MMM and extreme alternative on JJJ.

4 Likes