Triple M Network

cricket finished on triple m listening through the app they are replaying the music from when the cricket was on lol
the songs on now were on 2hrs ago lol

Probably - they donā€™t seem too concerned about a consistent sound for their stations :slight_smile:

I donā€™t understand why tmmm didnā€™t go after the big bash radio rights instead of test. Test are good but I would have thought big bash fits there genre more.

Interesting thought, but I think BBL.radio coverage would only work for when that cityā€™s home team(s) are playing eg. I canā€™t imagine Hobart vs Perth appealing to eg Sydney radio listeners

It works better on TV since BBL has visual impact moreso than Test cricket, and that its non ratings period and itā€™s TVs primetime.

2 Likes

The Bogan Bash would fit MMM like a hand in a glove. I donā€™t see the problem in limiting coverage to the cities involved, much like it does with the AFL.

And yes, I do watch the BBL, if only to see Brad Hogg in action :).

3 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of what I was thinking too. It fits like their afl coverage, I donā€™t really want to hear a Collingwood v Brisbane game in Adelaide but tripled still boardcast it into Adelaide.

I think itā€™s the only thing missing with the big bash. I have been out plenty of times over the Xmas break, driving home after 7pm and wanting to hear it.

Itā€™s out of ratings so why not give it a go.

One of the reasons why I have a digital radio so I can listen to BBL of any gameā€¦ Though Triple M getting lots of complaints no music. I think they need to make sure they run the music programs on Triple M DAB. Itā€™s a shame the ABC canā€™t bring big bash too.

2 Likes

Jess and Luke on the overnight talk show have had a stumble on working out station freqs.

Mention of the station formerly known as RadioWest Bridgetown, 6BY AM 900.

Firstly, they stumbled over the pronunciation of Manjimup, then the frequency of AM 900 was referred to as 90.0

3 Likes

Oh dear, reminds me of a time when a Super Radio Network webpage had listed 2DUā€™s relay into Cobar as being on FM 97.2 (when it is on AM 972).

3 Likes

Melbourneā€™s JB and Billy are set to move Into 4-7 Weekdays I think???

Just heard a sweeper promoting Triple Mā€™s Classic Rock Summerā€¦ which ended with something like ā€œAnd Novaā€™s music sucksā€¦ a lotā€.

Lol. I havenā€™t heard that one before.

6 Likes

Childish, audience do not care for attack sweepers. Itā€™s a fight best kept away from the public. Shows lack of discipline.

3 Likes

Donā€™t you mean their ā€œCold Chisel and Cricketā€ summer? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have to admit I havenā€™t heard much Chisel this summer on the Ms, but I for one (and I am probably in the minority here), like hearing 80s Aussie Rock on Triple M.

5 Likes

In the last Sydney radio survey of 2016, Triple M was 8th in the ratings behind the ARN stations, the Nova stations, Triple J, 2GB and 702 ABC, so I wouldnā€™t exactly say that Triple M is one of Sydneyā€™s most popular radio stations at the moment.

Personally, I doubt that Triple Mā€™s recent heavy emphasis on sport and the decision to run an overnight talkback program will help their overall ratings much in the Sydney market this year.

I agree that automated music all night doesnā€™t make for great listening, but is there any reason why SCA canā€™t just have an announcer on (whether itā€™s live, pre-recorded or whatever) talking about the songs being played? There are other radio stations doing talkback in the midnight-dawn timeslot, so Iā€™m not sure that Triple M needs to be joining in.

Comparing Triple M to Smooth FM is like comparing apples and oranges.

Iā€™m not sure about everyone else, but I get the general impression from their marketing that Triple M Sydney (especially ā€œThe Grill Teamā€ breakfast show) is primarily aimed at male bogans. TV ads like this and [this] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJv7NHTU71w) especially scream ā€œthis station is for male bogansā€ to me.

Iā€™d probably say that the promotion and marketing for WSFM (since you pointed the station out, Iā€™ll use them as an example) targets a broader demographic and perhaps not coincidentally, has usually rated better than Triple M in the Sydney market for a few years now. While Iā€™d like to see some things changed with WSFM, I certainly wouldnā€™t say that Triple M are less targeted towards the male bogan demographic with their promotion and marketingā€¦

3 Likes

Some people want to listen to just music. Iā€™d much prefer automated music than Bona.

6 Likes

please do then - you have a choice of letā€™s seeā€¦ ummmā€¦ Smooth 95.3, Nova 96.9, WS 101.7, 2Day 104.1, KIIS 106.5 plus a bunch of community stations as wellā€¦ doesnā€™t seem to be a problem finding something for you.

1 Like

If people want to know what an engaging music driven hosted midnight to dawn show sounds like, Iā€™m currently listening to After Midnight with Janice Long on BBC Radio 2. She just played Led Zeppelin and yet she doesnā€™t sound bogan or talk about sensationalist topics and yet remains engaging. And BBC R2 is number one - with males AND females.

Thatā€™s how itā€™s done.

5 Likes

in the UK.

Weā€™re in Australia, mate.

Thereā€™s little difference.

Thanks mate, but Iā€™m Australian too.

3 Likes