Triple M Network

100% my point.

1 Like

That’s certainly the truth. Our regulator seems to have one purpose - protect the big players at the expense of variety and competition.

1 Like

@nickatnights
Completely agree with all your comments. And if they MUST have the blue collar narrow focus on FM why not at least have left Classic Rock Digital on DAB+ to be the station for rock music lovers (of all collars:).

1 Like

I definitely think that there’s space in the marketplace for a broad ranging rock music station without having sports coverage. The success of Smooth FM in recent times has shown that you can stick to a single genre of music without needing to have sports coverage.

But realistically, Triple M will probably just keep doing what they’re doing for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Would love to see more classic rock on triple m less of the same stuff I think that may make a big difference.

2 Likes

Might have missed this being posted here but confirmation Dead Set Legends is gone in Sydney.

I’d describe Triple M as being a blokey/blue collar stations, that therefore plays rock music to cater for that market in between sport and talk. That is their aim and what they do.

They are not a rock station trying to broaden their audience by adding sport and talk.

Don’t understand why found it to be a great show

A faint hope of a Saturday breakfast sports program.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/dead-set-shocker-management-should-be-sacked/news-story/3ed9f718c267842c44aca14518e6aa11

2 Likes

talk in brisbane is that Ed and Marto will not be renewed for next year, with potentially Luke Bradnam and Robin Bailey taking over

Triple M Brisbane just goes from bad to worse! If Marto goes that’s awesome but Robin Bailey is not suited to the Triple M audience.

Why? Don’t “blokes” like women?
Do they only like other blokes? Interesting.

1 Like

I don’t think it is that. It is just the subjects that Robin Bailey talks about won’t suit the ‘target’ Triple M audience.

The Rush Hour?

@NRN11
I know what you mean :). I was just being a smart arse :wink:
I think she might be able to change her style and topics though if she did go to Triple M. Agree, she would need to.

1 Like

Wow, that would be an odd fit. It could be a masterstroke, and bring a whole lot of loyal 97.3 listeners across. It also could fail miserably if she tries to tailor her style too much to fit the blokey Triple M, or if the existing audience don’t warm to her. But hey, she is undoubtedly a very popular host, and would certainly be a better choice than the typical C-grade ‘celebrity’/washed-up footballer/ex-reality show contestant, which seems to be the usual formula for selecting radio hosts these days

1 Like

Robin Bailey on Triple M? It would be a disaster for both her and the station. She pushes the feminist agenda at every possible opportunity which is probably ok on a station like 97.3 which is female skewed (even though as a female I found it a bit over the top at times) but on Triple M it would be like when WSFM put Doug Mulray on Drive or 4BC put Jamie Dunn on breakfast.

Feminist issues are Robin’s platform…her schtick if you like. Sure she can change but then it’s a new act …so what value is that in terms of bargaining power?

Her management obviously stuffed up the negotiations with ARN big time and yes, she needs a job but…it has to be the right fit for her. Unfortunately, her management didn’t think it through because the perfect fit was …97.3. She just got greedy.

My tip is if she goes to Triple M…she would be out of a job again once the 2/3 year contract expires.

4MMM would move slightly back to classic hits like it was under FM104 I’d suggest.

1 Like

They won’t move back to Classic Hits-4KQ owns that position and does a great job. Triple M won’t build a format around her…she’s not that much of a game changer. If she does go there she’d have to adapt. She should have realised what a great thing she had going and not got so greedy.

1 Like

I listen to 2MMM on a daily basis and I must admit, I am starting to lose interest in the station. The Grill Team would have to be one of the worst aspects of the station. I appreciate the addition of Emma Freedman to the team, but it feels as though she never really “belongs” on the show. The other hosts of the show are constantly talking about the footy or other “bogan” topics, and Emma Freedman has to attempt to take an interest in their conversations and get involved.

I genuinely feel sorry for her, because it is obvious that she is trying to take part in the show and the conversations, but it all comes off as being unnatural, due to the way the other presenters host the show. It’s like someone trying to become involved in a conversation between four blue-collar men who are the best of mates; it’s just not going to work.

In my opinion, Jacqui Kassulke is quite easily the best presenter on 2MMM and the vibe of the station instantly improves as soon as she starts presenting. I always think it’s a relief as soon as she comes on, as the station feels less “boganish” and generally speaking, it is more enjoyable to listen to.

In regards to the music itself, I agree that the playlist could be expanded on. Case in point, I don’t know how many times I have heard “Dark Necessities” (by the Red Hot Chili Peppers) or “Keep on Running” (by The Living End) being played on the station. Yes, I understand that both songs were only released a few months ago, but it is only so often that you can listen to the same songs within the one week! Personally, I wish the playlist had more of a variety. Playing AC/DC and Midnight Oil does not equate for the station being able to claim that they play “classics”.

I understand that Triple M wants to cater for a niche audience, but surely the station should be taking into account that other demographics listen to the station as well? As a 17 year old male, I honestly don’t care about listening to the things the presenters regret from when they were younger, or how interesting the footy was the night before. I suggested the station to a friend of mine before and when they were able to successfully receive the station, they were instantly turned off by the footy talk which was on at the time. Most people don’t tune into the station, just to listen to footy talk or sports content. They want to listen to rock and rock music only.

Sorry for my rather long rant, however I just had to share my thoughts over the current state of the station.

8 Likes