triple j

Gang of Youths had 3 in the top 10 and a fourth song earlier in the countdown (A like a version cover). They are the real winners. Best album of 2017 too IMO.

Agree. Could’t believe Kendrick had King Kunta in the top 2 in 2015 yet alone this years offering in “Humble.”.

1 Like

“Couldn’t believe”? He’s one of the biggest musicians on the planet. Not only that, he has an obvious fan base in the Triple J demo. Both tracks are deserving.

Gang of Youths, in my opinion, sound like a generic indie rock group in the similar vain to Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys.

Of course, this is just a dumb list and we shouldn’t get too hung up about it - given Vance Joy was number one with the insufferable ‘Riptide’ a few years ago.

4 Likes

Have you seen him live? Has the “big three”. Talented guitarist, singer and song writer. Not every solo artist has that talent.

1 Like

Yeah, saw him at Laneway that same year. He’s very good. That song just does my head in from the first time I heard it until the current day.

2 Likes

2017 was just such an average year of music for me, which is why I didn’t vote. Nothing particularly grabbed me outside of Holy Holy and Pond.

I’m always fascinated by how wildly tastes can differ though. I’ve listened to Lamar a bit but I had no inkling at all he would land #1

1 Like

Yep, same here, the only idea I had that he would win was when I first checked the betting markets to see who was favoured by the bookies. Rubbish song to win it, but that’s just one poster’s opinion…

Gang of Youths suffered from having too many tracks to choose from - three songs in the top 10 meant the vote was split. Funnily enough for mine Deepest Sighs and Fire Goes Out were better tracks than Let Me Down Easy, which almost won it in the end

My best song for the year was Nothing But Thieves - Amsterdam, for what it’s worth. It’s a song with at least a bit of vibrancy and energy, unlike most of the countdown which was fairly bland and boring (I mean Angus and Julia Stone reached #3 FFS), but it only reached #70. Goes to show how much (or little) I have in common with Triple J listeners :smile:

3 Likes

Any song by the latter > any Gang of Youths song

1 Like

They’re all better than The Rubens. Fuck Hoops. Fuck it sideways.

5 Likes

Possibly the most disappointed I’ve been with a Number One. And I listened to the countdown where Big Jet Plane won…

1 Like

Id never heard that song before… I had to youtube it… I must be getting old because that it sounds like absolute trash to me

3 Likes

A lot of the Hottest 100s dont age well - except maybe for the 1997 countdown thats on Double J right now :wink:

Listening to some of the countdown yesterday in the car, I realised that I dont listen to much new Australian music - admittedly I had a crashcourse in 2017’s good music over christmas thanks to a few playlists on spotify

Why controversial? Is he another sexual ‘harasser’?

How Marilyn Manson ranked higher than Karma Police is beyond me. 1997 has a lot to answer for.

1 Like

Just going on the comments posted on the Triple J page… not an Australian artist, song not worth of it etc.

2 Likes

Hack is back from 5:30PM with Tom Tilley talking about Betting Company’s sucking Hottest 100 voters in to bet on the result.

1 Like

Sour grapes?

Melbourne International Comedy Festival program on Triple J

Good Az Friday
Friday 30 March at 1pm, Live AEDT
triple j’s Good Az Friday is back again this year with Ben and Liam hosting a live all ages show at Melbourne Town Hall on Friday 30 March. It kicks off at 1pm and will feature a live Like A Version performance, plus appearances from some of the festival’s top comedians. More details to come soon.

Anyone from Mediaspy hear this happening live?

Nevermind transmission problems, they’re fleeting, I’d prefer to see JJJ programming improved.

It’s far too burdened by ABC regulation, it’s not the trailblazer it was even 20 years ago.

It will always be ahead of commercial stations, but it lacks the potency it had.

Imagine their launch song, Skyhooks ‘You just like me cos I’m good on bed’, there would be announcers on JJJ who would take offence to that or disagree with colloquialisms and profanities. Case in point being the previous host of the 9pm Sunday night sex and relationship show, she was a total prude, not a fit with the JJJ culture, yet they kept her on.