triple j

Discussion topic for ABC Youth Network triple j

Thread on previous forum

Vote now in the annual triple j Hottest 100

• Voting is open until midday AEDT on Friday 22 January 2016.

Following the death of David Bowie at age 69, triple j has released a tribute to the late singer. You can hear it on the station’s Soundcloud page.

Meanwhile, Double J is “playing nothing but David Bowie” tracks until 11am AEDST tomorrow.

Voting closed for triple j’s Hottest 100 this afternoon. I’m still laughing at this comment from Tom Gleeson on Facebook.

I'm looking forward to the Hottest 100, so I know what Nova will be playing in June.

Posted by Tom Gleeson on Thursday, January 21, 2016

They just stated that the “Hottest 100” tomorrow will be live into WA (starting 12pm AEDST or 9am WST).

So it sounds like to me that QLD, SA and NT are getting it on delay.
Is this correct?
If so, it should be THE time of the year that JJJ is live nationally.

I believe JJJ has been airing the “Hottest 100” live across Australia for nearly a decade now.

That’s correct it has been live in all states since 2007

Thanks for that!
I will be tuning in and out during the Hottest 100 today, particularly at the pointy end.
It’s the only time of the year that I listen to Triple J for more than a couple of songs.

This is how ABC reported the result of the Top 100 results

triple j Hottest 100: The Rubens take out top spot with Hoops

This year saw the highest ever number of voters in the countdown’s history, with 2,094,000 ballots cast by 298,851 people in 172 countries.

Australian artists made up 54 per cent of those in the countdown, with 26 Hottest 100 debutants on the list.

Amazing how the top song in the Top 100 made a big re-entry into the ARIA charts again.
Hoops by The Rubens is number 10 this week which is actually a higher position than it reached the first time in the chart.

Winner surprised a lot of people I know who religiously listen to JJJ, I didn’t mind, great song.

Yes, I wasn’t too upset about “Hoops” at no. 1.
They could have done a lot worse.

And yes, I noticed how the iTunes Top 100 has been heavily influenced by the JJJ Hottest 100 this week.

Currently Queensland JJJ stations are playing a different program to the NSW stations that I receive.

JJJ - Narrabri (99.9) and Coffs Harbour (91.5) are playing a different program to JJJ in Queensland (Brisbane/Wide Bay/ Downs/ etc).

It’s all very strange.

PS: Just heard on Queensland JJJ a time check that was one hour early - did someone flick the Daylight saving switch by mistake?

One hour late, you mean?

That’s one way of looking at it.

The time announced was one hour earlier than the actual time - the time was 11am and the time announced was 10am.

I too noticed it this morning, all the QLD JJJ transmissions seemed to be an hour behind as if it were daylight saving. As of about 1pm though the problem seemed to be fixed. Going to presume a switch was flicked when it shouldn’t have been

1 Like

Not sure if this is the best spot for it but flicking around in the car today Double J was playing Something for Kate - 20 Years, come the end, didn’t like the new song so flicked to JJJ only to hear Something for Kate - 20 Years, but sounded clearer and better quality. Used to hearing competing commercials playing the same track occasionally, pretty rare I’d imagine for JJJ and Double J I’d have thought. And an older song at that.

2 Likes

The better sound quality you heard on JJJ vs JJ is probably due to (on digital radio) JJJ having a higher bit rate than JJ.

JJJ sounds even better again on FM.

1 Like

According to Fairfax, Triple J is reviewing on whether to move their annual Hottest 100 away from Australia Day out of respect over the offence caused to Indigenous Australians. But the possible move won’t take place in 2017, regardless of the decision.

More: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/radio/triple-j-announce-hottest-100-date-may-be-revised-but-not-for-2017-20160913-grf86x.html

They dedicated a good portion of Hack last night to discussing this, and it was an interesting if not slightly self-important discussion (who said the media doesn’t like talking about itself)

Without wanting to get too political, it appears the issue would more relate not to a countdown being held on the day known as Australia Day, but more the holiday of Australia Day being held on January 26, a day many indigenous people find unpleasant and uncomfortable.

For mine, it’s simply logical to hold the music countdown on a public holiday in the height of summer that is synonymous with the sun, beach (or pool) and beer culture we have in this country. Triple J might want to take a lead in shifting the countdown away from this particular day due to the cultural sensitivity, but in reality the public holiday is the issue

3 Likes