Tokyo Olympics Coverage

How dare you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Is the typhoon still brewing? Can hear some whooshing in the background or is it just the fans in the flagpoles?

The Paris part was good. But a terrible ceremony otherwise. What a downer to end on.
so much potential to do something redeeming, uniting and memorable for the world, I guess that’s now up to Beijing 2022.

I could understand if they had to go refined but classy given the circumstances, but this is just cheap and lazy.

2 Likes

So as long as no political interference comes into play, but that’s another story.

What an anticlimax ending

Final set

9 Likes

That flag was fake too!

Also why did they just cut the end with no analysis by hosts like the opening?

4 Likes

Good to see the Paralympics promoted immediately after the Closing Ceremony ended.

9 Likes

The ceremony was definitely a lot less artistic compared to past years (same with the opening ceremony) but it was still very well done.

8 Likes

“Sadly, the weather conditions today mean that we will not be able to proceed with our plan to raise the flag on the Eiffel Tower safely,” a statement Paris 2024 read.

"Despite this, TV viewers around the world will be able to discover our ambition thanks to images filmed during a test conducted on 8 June.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111414/updates/67252

Wonder how long until the Beijing ads roll in?

7plus now has a dedicated section to the Paralympics

8 Likes

Let’s not forget the Olympics were once held in St Louis and Atlanta.

Plus, when Los Angeles hosted in 1932 it was considered the 5th biggest city behind New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit.

6 Likes

Speaking about Brisbane, I’ve just noticed that they are scheduled for 23 July - 8 August. Weird having a summer games in winter.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting question: Do any of us think ​the Olympics coming to Brisbane (along with the Gold/Sunshine Coasts) is likely to result in any significant population increase for South East Queensland during the years immediately leading up to/after the games?

I know Sydney’s population grew during the years immediately leading up to/after the Olympics, but that growth probably wasn’t necessarily a direct result of being a host city for the games as Sydney had been Australia’s most populated metropolis for a while by the time it was awarded the 2000 games in 1993.

Literally happened in Rio in 2016. Anyway, temperatures will be a lot more cooler and comfortable for the athletes in comparison to Tokyo.

2 Likes

So shouldn’t be any different for Brisbane. I expect Brisbane to continue growing at the same pace.

1 Like

It’s as if the head of the Australian Olympic Committee redesigned the bidding process so they could talk to bidders behind closed doors, opened talks with himself regarding a Brisbane bid and then closed the bid before other cities even had the chance to properly investigate whether they wanted to bid for the games.

As for the ceremony - the Paris segment was the only good bit really, and indeed wonder if moving forward they might consider doing the handover piece in the city that hosts next rather than them coming to the stadium as I thought that worked really well.

Back to coverage and some of the moans here are pathetic. Olympic coverage has always been a mix of live and recorded content - we’re just more aware of what isn’t live now thanks to broadcasters making all events available to watch live and things being reported on social media. It’s to be expected coverage will be tailored towards the audience of that country who might be considered more interested in rewatching an event in which they were successful than a medal event they’re not involved in. The final day is always an odd one as there is a huge lull before the closing ceremony, and often the last sports going aren’t the flagship events of the games.

It sounds like Seven have delivered pretty good coverage (from the perspective of a bloke on the other side of the world). Don’t take the streams for granted either. As mentioned UK viewers lost out this year thanks to the dodgy deal with Discovery, which has proven frustrating because the BBC have basically tried to claim that’s all that was on offer but we know they had full rights to 2020 (Discovery only had 2022-24) and could have driven a better deal, as France TV (in exactly the same position) did with unlimted streams, whilst the German PSBs also got access to 10 live streams.

That said though the BBC studio coverage has been absolutely sublime, especially in comparison to the presentation on Eurosport which has been pretty soulless.

Have Seven confirmed their plans for the Paralympics - from the wording I’ve seen so far it sounds like more of it might be screened on the main channel rather than just on 7Two, which is good news.

2 Likes

Blake Johnson mentioned on Sunrise this morning that he’s sticking around to cover the Paralympics. I assume a few other reporters will stay to cover the Paralympics too.

6 Likes

In the US, USA Network’s non stop Tokyo 2020 coverage has finally come to a close at 7pm ET (9am AEST).

They have been broadcasting olympic coverage nonstop for almost 2 weeks.

2 Likes