Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Wonder when they’ll start all the cross-promotion shows? Like all other years. “Road to Rio”, etc.

Multiple 5-10min preview and interview segments, scattered at various times across the network, often with Bruce McAvaney in front of a fire place or Giant Rooney, etc.
It woukd’ve around this time in 2015 I’m pretty sure.

Also, the addition of the ‘Olympic rings’ to Seven’s watermarks, always done many months or a year in advance (depending).

7 Likes

One year to go before the 2020 Summer Olympics. Opening Ceremony will be on 24 July while Closing Ceremony will be on 6 August

6 Likes

Get ready for the Olympic rings to splash across our screens

6 Likes

Yep. Expect to see the Olympic Rings watermark pop up on our screens this weekend.

4 Likes

TBH, I would’ve expected to see the Olympic Rings on the Channels of Seven tonight!

4 Likes

Actually, it will be on August 9.

1 Like

Most likely tomorrow night, which will be exactly one year to go until the Games.

Expect this to be Seven’s biggest coverage of a Summer or Winter Olympics since Sydney 2000.

1 Like

Unless they build a proper set in Tokyo it will be shit like Rio was. They need to have hosts based out of Tokyo and the majority of commentators based there otherwise it will be just cheap and nasty.

They did a great job with a set etc in Beijing. They need to replicate the quality again.

6 Likes

I get your point. But FTA was still strong in 2008, first iPhone barely came out, let alone SVOD services.

The word "“expensive” (i.e.) overseas sets, shipping hosts and producers is immediate turn-off for networks.

5 Likes

Swimming Finals will be at lunchtime AEST to cater for NBC’s live broadcast. Would’ve drawn massive ratings if it was held at night.

1 Like

Road to Tokyo. Yeah, I think that this will be a pre-Olympics show hosted by Bruce McAvaney. Bruce Mcavaney will interview athletes from the past.

3 Likes

They’ve used that boring name for years and years “Road to Beijing”, “Road to Rio”

1 Like

And Nine had the ‘Road to London’ hosted by Ken Sutcliffe and Leila McKinnon. I think the ‘Road to [city]’ is so trite and it’s time that it needs a change like ‘Journey to Tokyo’ or ‘Destination: Tokyo’

3 Likes

Trail to Tokyo?

2 Likes

London 2012 was good and rated well, but their coverage clearly lacked the experience, both talent and production wise.

Don’t know why their golden boy Eddie must be on everything at Nine.

Destination Tokyo would be a good name

2 Likes

New Tokyo 2020 promo launched today by 7

4 Likes
3 Likes

Can we use this thread to discuss Tokyo Olympics coverage on Australian newspapers and radio too?
Triple M had the commercial radio rights for Rio 2016. If Macquarie Radio regains the commercial radio rights I think it would use Macquarie Sports Radio for its all-day Olympics coverage, so as not interrupting normal programming and AFL/NRL coverage on 2GB and 3AW.

4 Likes

6 Likes