Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Will they not be using 3 multi-channels full time like Rio 2016? Should be a minimum with the amount of events (even more this time) and the opportunity available. Unless they want to drive digital viewers (7Plus app)?

Maybe 7mate wasn’t mentioned at their event last night, as it can’t be used full time technically, due to the AFL. I wonder if 7flix will have to be used then.

Also depends what other sports, particularly weekends they’re contracted to cover.

3 Likes

As mentioned in TV Tonight article, only main channel and 7TWO will be used full time for Tokyo 2020, with an additional six channels of curated coverage available for registered users of 7plus. Up to 40 live streams of every sport will also be available on 7plus.

Jim Wilson hosted last night’s countdown event with Sally Pearson, Chloe Esposito and Curtis McGrath in attendance.

3 Likes

7 and 7Two were used for the Games with 7mate used for AFL commitments. This was what exactly happened during the GC Commonwealth Games last year.

Only 7 was used for PyeongChang with 7mate used when the main channnel went to news and normal programming.

I’d expect Home and Away and The Chase to be off-air for the 2 weeks.

2 Likes

No charging for the streamed access unlike Rio and PyeongChang

3 Likes

I think that 7flix could be used if AFL is being scheduled on Friday nights, Saturday NIghts and Sunday afternoons on 7mate. The Tokyo Olympic Games will be prioritised on the primary channel with the AFL being shunted to 7mate.

4 Likes

I could’ve sworn 7mate was carrying a 3rd Rio 2016 feed, at least at times?

1 Like

Presumably whatever channels are used for the Olympics would have to be available nationally otherwise some viewers will miss out.

3 Likes

He wasn’t on their Australian Open coverage because his contract with Fox Footy prevents him from hosting any sporting coverage on Nine.

1 Like

Eddie McGuire called the Opening Ceremonies and the Closing Ceremony with Leila McKinnon during the 2010 Vancouver Games and the 2012 London Games. With NIne and Fox having the consortium to the two Olympic games (Vancouver 2010 and London 2012), Eddie McGuire called some sports events on Fox sports as it prevents him from hosting sport coverage on Nine. I just don’t get it why Eddie called the ceremonies on FTA, given that his contract with Fox Footy prevents him from presenting sports coverage on Nine?

Olympic Rings watermark appeared at the bottom right during The Chase this afternoon.

10 Likes

Yeah, 7mate was used for Olympic coverage as well

4 Likes

Eddie hosted the evening session during London 2012 for Foxtel

Looks like “Australia’s Olympic Network” has been abandoned for “Home of the Olympics”

3 Likes

No Mel McLaughlin.
NOTE: this is unofficial and yet to be confirmed by Seven.

5 Likes

Maybe doing 7TWO hosting and continuing to do the sports news on the Sydney 6:00pm news?

4 Likes

Joh Griggs hosted the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games last year and did the Closing Ceremony alongside Basil.

1 Like

…which I was lucky not to watch given how poorly it was conducted.

2 Likes

It was shown on delay in Perth with News and MKR airing instead of the much-maligned Closing Ceremony Live. Didn’t miss a thing at all.

2 Likes

Interesting no Mel McLaughlin given she’s hosted Rio 2016 and PyeongChang 2018

1 Like

Sorry, why are we using that dodgy Twitter account as a factual news source now?

It’s been proven to be wrong on several occasions and the person behind it has a weird tendency to get drunk and air grievances online. Wouldn’t trust it to break news.

No reputable news source has listed this and the presenting line ups aren’t usually released until a few months beforehand, not a year out.

7 Likes