Olympics Coverage - History

Seven has an option to extend until Paris 2024. No doubt I’d expect them to do so.

1 Like

If 7 gets the rights to Beijing 2022, then 7 needs to juggle between Big Bash cricket and the Olympics. As well as this, they also have AFLW during February 2022.

3 Likes

In these days of multichannels and 7Plus would there be a problem?

1 Like

I just noticed that there is now an Olympic Channel on 7Plus which is currently showing highlights of the 2014 Youth Olympics.

6 Likes

Olympic Channel added some year before the Tokyo Olympics

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Tokyo Olympics Coverage

While there’s plenty about 7plus which needs improving, one thing I really like is how the service is being used to offer additional streaming channels like the Olympic Channel. It’s a good way of adding value to what would otherwise be just another catch-up service

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t 7 appear the Olympic Rings on sports telecasts like the 2017 afl grand final (which was about 4 months away from the 2018 Pueongchang games?) I know that Channel 7 and 7mate appeared the Olympic Rings during 2015 afl gf telecast (which was 10 months away from Rio 2016)

2 Likes

When Seven covered the Winter Olympics last year, I think they had Eddy and Hamish on site.

For Sydney 2000, I think they had a large premises called the “International Broadcast Centre” where Seven (and all the other stations around the world) produced in-studio programming.

Olympic Sunrise would’ve been produced from Epping (I think).

1 Like

2017 AFL Grand Final - don’t remember because I didn’t watch the game (neither did I watch last year’s AFL Grand Final).

2015 - yes that is correct. Expect the rings to also appear on Seven’s AFL telecasts over the weekend.

Last year during the Hawthorn vs Collingwood AFL match, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games watermark appeared for the first time.

You can also expect the Olympic rings to start appearing on sports broadcasts as early as any of these:

• this year’s AFL finals series
  • the Grand Final
  • the first cricket Test.
3 Likes

but how shit was the winter olympics coverage? all it was was hosts in a little narrow screen only with their face

1 Like

Nine had appeared the Olympic Rings logo during the 2009 nrl gf (Parramatta Eels v Melbourne Storm) and also used during golf telecasts and cricket games.
Nine appeared the Olympics Rings logo in 2011 NRL GF (Manly Sea Eagles v NZ warriors) but didn’t use it during cricket telecast and normal NRL games. However was used during Origin Games. If I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

And other programming such as The Chase Australia, Home and Away and My Kitchen Rules took priority on the main channel while the Games were moved to 7mate.

1 Like

ALso in WA the AFLW match took priority over the Winter Olympics which was shunted to 7mate. I just don’t know why they have AFLW on primary channel (10/2/2018)

1 Like

Probably because the match in question involved Fremantle’s women’s side up against Collingwood at Optus Stadium.

When Seven had the Beijing Olympics, AFL was not shown on Sundays in Sydney or Brisbane. The Friday night match would be replayed the following morning at 8:00am before action in Beijing got underway.

Now with multichanneling, Seven can move AFL matches to 7mate as they did for the Rio Games and last year’s Commonwealth Games.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Seven news at 5 took priority over the Winter games action on the primary channel?

Don’t remember.

I would have thought that 7 News at 4 took a break when Olympics were on. (rio 2016 and Pyeongchang 2018. ) this will do the same for Tokyo 2020.

3 Likes

does anyone have pictures of the beijing sets?

I was 6 then so dont remember it at all!

I’d expect Sunrise to feature a studio audience and go live in all markets before competition starts.

There was a preview show called “Yum Cha” for the duration of the 2008 Olympics airing on the East Coast only. Perth viewers only got the Sunday editions live. Yum Cha was hosted by Andrew Daddo and Sonia Kruger

4 Likes