Today

3 Hosts doesn’t sound right. They need a Weather Presenter.

Glad it went to Belinda and not Jayne.

1 Like

How else would this quote from the article be explained other than three hosts? Key words: ensemble team helm the program.

Fiona Byrne (the author of the article) is pretty much always correct, from the articles of hers I’ve read.

The Weekend Today refresh will see an ensemble team helm the program in 2022 with Richard Wilkins, Charles Croucher and Belinda Russell taking the reins of the show.

From the article about weather:

Nine is still to confirm who will be taking on the weather presenting role – it is understood there is no shortage of presenters keen to nab the high-profile, national live TV opportunity.

2 Likes

It seems pretty concrete to me. It’s definitely not written ambiguously so if she’s wrong, she’ll be wrong no mistake.

2 Likes

Article from Nine:

7 Likes

Based on the fact Dickie is mentioned last on the press release might suggest he going to an entertainment role on Weekend Today.

11 Likes

I’d have to agree. He’s mentioned after the newsreader. That’s very telling.

4 Likes

It’s so interesting that the 2021 weekend team wasn’t successful this year and the 2021 weekday team became more successful.
and in 2019, the weekday team wasn’t really successful and the weekend team was successful.
It’s all about chemistry

3 Likes

If Dickie’s only going to do entertainment on the weekends, then that’s one hell of a demotion.

If he is being moved, would it have just been better to leave him where he is? Even just for familiarity purposes, if the audience now have to adjust to both hosts changing? What’s Charles’ chemistry like with co-hosts?

1 Like

Perhaps earlier in the year, but Weekend team has now won more days than the weekday team in the ratings over Sunrise which is pretty good considering they are only on 2 days a week compared to 5.

6 Likes

@TV.Cynic
Oh yeah, but this is before Sophie and Jayne took over the hosting roles when Bec wasn’t in the North Sydney Studios

1 Like

Well her disappearance in recent weeks makes much more sense now. I thought her Channel 9 tenure was weird, even if she was happy with the direction (essentially going from news presenting/reporting to being a sports journo/host - then Today/morning tv host).

She got to showcase more of her ‘personality’ for better or worse (saw glimpses during the Good Friday Appeal on 7 over the years). I won’t slag her off (she was extremely nice to me when she reported on the AFL finals in 2015), but I don’t think she was the right fit for Weekend Today to begin with. At the time of the appointment I thought it was a very strange direction for her to go in.

Will wait with interest to see if she’ll remain in the tv landscape or if she’ll go in another direction entirely (Smooth FM presenter ? :P).

A three host setup for Weekend Today will be interesting.

7 Likes

I was a bit surprised at Bec’s departure. Perhaps the contract was not the only reason she left Nine? The network did give her more opportunities at hosting shows (most notably Australian Ninja Warrior and AFL Footy Show) which in turn gave her more national exposure, something she failed to receive at Seven.

It will be interesting to see what her next career move will be.

5 Likes

Will they address the departure of Bec tomorrow morning? They did it for Georgie Gardner in November 2019

2 Likes

Now according to TV Blackbox:

6 Likes

Sunday 28th November, 2021
Ta-Da! Her final show for this year.
Lauren is in the North Sydney Studios for the first time.
She was at Milson’s Point for the first 2 hours of Weekend Today.

11 Likes

Dickie just addressed Bec’s departure for only like 30 secs, alongside Lauren’s departure.

6 Likes

end of en era for weekend today

3 Likes

will they do a farewell package for Lauren and bec

3 Likes

At the end of the show, they didn’t have a package for both Bec and Lauren

4 Likes

“Hopefully I’ll be back to fill in every now and then.”

10 Likes