Today (2015-Sept 2020)

IMO, the set is the biggest disappointment of the new look. One of the first issues I noticed was that they didn’t seem to have a clear vision. The new set is a cross of a hint of new and suit Mornings old set. Do they want yellow and blue or blue and orange? Do they want flat white panels or one that pops?

The next few issues I will discuss I think is because of one thing- the desk. The camera angles are way too tight. Whether it is Karl and Lisa just fit in the frame or Tim covering 75% of the screen I really don’t like it, although maybe it is in since Sunrise has the same not as bad problem. Also for news and sport, why have plasma if you don’t even use them? I would prefer OTS’ but plasmas are better used then as a part of the backdrop for nothing.

This new set also has too many blank panels which often clash and look and unprofessional. As for the ‘soft’ set there is one word- awful. It is so unimaginative and uncreative and seeing Sylvia doing her research and Lisa flicking through her papers in wideshots reminds me of the 2006-2008 soft set which I don’t like.

I do though really love the new backdrop and how it seems to change throughout the day to suit the sunrise and I like the idea that the wood has been replaced.

Is there really any point to closing and opening the main topics? Like you closed the thread one day and 24 hours later reopened it.

Makes it much easier to find if people want to look for the specific relaunch discussion in the future (caps and videos etc). It was always planned to close it for 24 hours then re-open.

5 Likes

Big numbers yesterday. I think that is the highest number since Georgie’s farewell day. Maybe 2016 is finally the year TODAY returns to number 1.

1 Like

What is the current “bribe” to get viewers to watch each of the breakfast shows? I glimpsed some wads of cash dancing around the screen the other night :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that Today is running their “Block Of Cash” competition again this year while Sunrise have something similar with the Cash Cow.

1 Like

Yep. This time twice a day

Cameron Williams just posted a photo on Twitter confirming he’s leaving Nine News and Weekend Today.

2 Likes

cameron williams ‏@camjwilliams 2h2 hours ago
Going to miss these wonderful people. Feisty Weekend Today team. But time move on from @9NewsAUS xx

He seems to have made a lot of odd/unfortunate moves in his career. He quit Seven for Fox Sport in '96 just as he would’ve had the opportunity to be involved with the Atlanta and Sydney Olympics. You would think he would’ve been a shoe in to replace Kenny Sutcliffe on the Sydney news when he retires given he fronts so many of Nine’s important sporting telecasts. I wonder if Steve Crawley is taking him to Fox Sports?

4 Likes

Well Cameron leaving that’s a shock.
Going to be interesting to see who replaces him on Weekend Today.
My choice would be David Campbell despite him hosting 'Today Extra '.
Just thinking l hope it’s not Peter Stefanovic!

3 Likes

It certainly wasn’t something I saw coming, that’s for sure!

4 Likes

@SydneyCityTV lndeed interesting move from Cam.

1 Like

Yes definitely didn’t see that coming

I would hope FOX Sports would get him and use him for the NRL coverage and the new channel next year. They need more people.

4 Likes

Effective immediately?

According to news.com Cam’s shock exit is because contract negotiations stalled.
Fox Sports sources denied Williams had a role to play at pay TV network.
@mirb Sounds like it is effective immediately to me.

3 Likes

If you ask me, Seven News Sydney would be wise to sign up Cameron Williams if they can! They could probably do with a familiar Nine face (yeah, I know that Cam was presented sport on Seven Nightly News Sydney back in the '90s before moving to Fox Sports as NewsWeary pointed out) to boost the profile/ratings of the news service.

3 Likes