Today Tonight

I wish it would come back at 6.30. I prefer the 6pm news to be for half an hour as there are two many fluff pieces that could be used for TT. Wish Helen Kapalos would do it again. Found her much more appealing to watch then Matt White.

3 Likes

You are tired of them using fluff pieces on the news so you would like them to bring TT back ? Wasn’t TT largely Fluff pieces anyway ?

3 Likes

At least there’s a programme for it.

It’s called ACA, and it’s on Nine. I do support the move to half hour bulletins though, but I would prefer a national bulletin to follow straight away in all states (Perth and Adelaide can have their TT presenter presenting that bulletin) fronted by a strong presenter. That bulletin should be more into ‘World Issues’ and interviews with experts. Might be better for Seven IMO.

It didn’t go so well for Ten. And I’m not sure that Seven’s broader focus sits well with heavy world news. They call themselves the roast chook network for a reason :wink:

1 Like

LOL didn’t know that till today :joy: . However I could see Nine go into such things like that seeing that they have an almost 24/7 news-channel on 9 and 90 already.

I’m sceptical that cutting the bulletin to 30 minutes would dramatically improve the quality of Seven News. Here in Sydney at least, the content was often on the tabloid side while the news only ran for 30 minutes!

Being 30 minutes long did not stop Seven News Sydney from running the arrests of Brian McFadden and Joel Madden as a bulletin leading news story in 2011 and 2013 respectively. From memory, those questionable editorial decisions were widely criticised by Media Spy (and deservedly so) at the time.

…and despite that, Nine News Queensland still regularly airs dubious quality “Special Reports” (so far, it’s a tie between “Is Your Ham Making You Sick?!” and “The Ekka Showbag Rip-Off!” for the worst of 2017) which are at ACA levels of content.

4 Likes

I agree with Helen. Wasted talent. However I do think Matt White is another great talent. Both were great losses of Seven.

2 Likes

I think the problem with one bulletin at 6pm is that a lot of people aren’t home these days by 6pm! I’m sure 7 would just do their same old strategy of taking on 9 directly and putting any revamped TT on at 7!
Knowing them they’ll probably also move H&A to 6.30pm on 7TWO to go head to head with Neighbours hehe

As I said above, Adelaide-style TT, not the old sensationalist east coast version.

Maybe they should try The Wall as a half hour show at 7?

1 Like

Mike Smithson presented tonight, saying Rosanna was unwell.

2 Likes

This is a first isn’t it? Were they unable to get Paul Makin in?

I recall one summer he did the news and TT for a few nights but that was long ago.

1 Like

I reckon Seven should wave a heap of cash at Naomi Robson and reinstate Today Tonight.

That show kicked ass at 6:30pm like 11-12 years ago!

I mean she hasn’t disappeared, she was last at Seven’s diamond anniversary in Melbourne, where she was glowing. Obviously still enjoys coming back to functions and network execs keep in touch.

Yes, we’ve all discussed it and Seven still say no, but the only reason was because Matt White quit the position, Helen Kapalos failed and more so 6pm news went 1 hour, with Home and Away needing room (whereas Nine don’t have a staple soapie like Seven and Ten).

If we can expect an a enormous shock or surprise at the Upfronts or rumours over comin months, I’ll put my money on that.

:smiley:

1 Like

You’ve said this several times now.

I really don’t think Seven is likely to reinstate Today Tonight on the East Coast anytime in the foreseeable future. And I definitely don’t expect Naomi Robson to ever have a regular presenting role on a current affairs show again, especially with all those newsworthy controversies that happened during her last year or two in the chair!

Yeah, but times and the Australian TV news/current affairs landscape has changed dramatically in the last 11-12 years.

4 Likes

has it?

1 Like

But it rated lower than the 6pm news. Having one hour of news has lifted the news ratings on the east coast for Seven. But look at the rating for TT in Adelaide and Perth - both are significantly lower that the 6pm news - this has directly resulted in Nine News winning the 6.30pm news segment 10 times this year while only winning twice at 6pm.

5 Likes

The woman became a running joke in the media and an embarrassment to the network. Why would they want her back? There’s a reason you’ve barely seen her on television since Seven ousted her.

3 Likes

Robson runs her own media training company,
http://www.managingyourmessage.com.au/about/
does corporate team building days,
http://yourcorporatekitchen.com.au/hosts
and is on the speaking circuit.
http://www.aaldc.com.au/speakers/
http://www.claxtonspeakers.com.au/speakers_profile/1826
She seems to keep busy. Robson going to a Seven function means nothing really, she goes to various events all the time.

3 Likes