Today Tonight

Not very recently however, just discussing a possibility, given probable news shuffles at Nine Sydney, Seven News resurgence and Home and Away continuing to decline.

Whilst ACA is around and continues to dominate (at least metro), there’s always a possibility.

Well, she was very popular & like I said, one name that’s around and available.

Yes, but not to the extent that viewers wouldn’t return to the show and/or presenter.

I’d really love to hear what major probable news reshuffles you think will eventually happen at Nine News Sydney, in the relevant thread of course.

When Seven News Sydney starts winning regular ratings nights and weeks between January and September (which Nine still did pretty well in this year), then I’ll say the news service is having a ratings resurgence.

Home & Away has been declining in the ratings for quite some time now…probably because of the late week double/triple episode runs because for whatever reason, Seven doesn’t run the show on Fridays anymore.

More than a decade ago. And as NewsWeary rightly pointed out, Naomi Robson was a running joke in the media and an embarrassment to the network - not someone who’d be chosen to present something positioned as a credible current affairs program (I know TT can’t really be classed as one, but still…) these days.

There’s nowhere near the viewer loyalty towards TV programs, personalities and networks that there was back in 2006-07.

Also, I’d be willing to predict that most people haven’t heard the name “Naomi Robson” since she was on Dancing With The Stars and that even the name “Today Tonight” is starting to fade out (if it hasn’t already) from the minds of East Coast viewers nearly four years since the show was axed on this side of the country.

1 Like

I do recall the infamous Steve Irwin matter.

Did it affect ratings though? I thought 2000s (where she was Syd/Melb/Bris) was TT’s most dominant?

But all points taken, very true👍

Only because Seven News (and Home & Away for that matter) was so dominant during that period. If they had been behind at 6pm then I guarantee TT would have posted much lower figures as a result.

2 Likes

Which was probably also a result of Seven’s increasingly popular programming?

Blue Heelers, All Saints, DWTS, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Border Security, The Force just to name a few.

Because Peter Hitchener dominates Melbourne now, but Peter Mitchell dominated him back then

The only reason why TT was popular back then was because people liked consumer affairs over things that Ray Martin/Mike Munro did on ACA (which also fell backwards and have never recovered then).

1 Like

As well as infamously wearing a lizard on her neck for TT’s coverage of Steve Irwin’s death, there was also the infamous “Wa Wa” controversy just after that in September 2006. And the leaked blooper tapes.

Also taking the moral high ground against the ABC’s Media Watch back in 2005…and then there’s this.

If all of that isn’t enough to understand why Naomi Robson no longer has a regular role on television, I don’t know what is.

Yeah, didn’t ACA make an attempt to bring the show more upmarket at the start of Ray Martin’s 2nd stint as host? Unfortunately trashy content on Today Tonight with Naomi Robson was more popular with viewers, so it wasn’t too long before ACA returned to those types of stories.

4 Likes

She was part of the reason why Today Tonight became No 1 and overtook ACA for the first time in the early 2000s. Give her some credit.

1 Like

I give her credit for conning viewers into thinking she had more to offer than a pretty face and a passable ability to read an autocue. History shows she was a vapid, self absorbed princess who was more concerned about her appearance than anything she had to present.

2 Likes

Probable? So invented?

1 Like

Minor blooper in Adelaide with the cross from Jane and John to Rosanna.

The title graphics did not play and a small failure of the prompter left Rosanna on-screen and reading the titles from a paper script. Errors fixed by the time she started reading the intro to the first story. Played off extremely well by Rosanna!

1 Like

Have you got a video of this?

Video courtesy of @ScreenTower

34:40

2 Likes

This has happened a few times in the past. Sometimes a wrong microphone is muted, too. Oddly, technical issues during the News to TT handover seem more likely to occur on Monday compared to any other weekday.

Footage of the same error in April (along with clips from Nine and Ten) led to my ‘No News in Adelaide’ tongue-in-cheek mock. :wink:

1 Like

Just noticed that The House or Wellness on 7two uses the old Sydney set for Today tonight. The blue bars and base of the set are the same one.
Good to see some recycling! :wink:

6 Likes

I noticed that too when I caught it a week or two back, but on closure inspection I’m not so sure, if this is in fact the TT set you had in mind. But some similarities nonetheless.

7 Likes

Similar sort of concept but definitely not the same set.

5 Likes

I think if you look behind the couch it appears the same blue strips are used as they are curved and the base is higher. But yes the rest it has been extended and new. (Straight blue strips)
That’s why I said elements :wink:
Even if it is filmed in Melbourne, there was a duplicate set in the Anna Coren era at BCM

4 Likes

Isn’t the The House or Wellness filmed from Melbourne?

1 Like

Edit - sorry was looking at the wrong photos, you are right is does look quite similar.