Today Tonight

If they ever did bring TT back, should they sacrifice the hour bulletins on the eastern seaboard? Not sure how they are as I’m from Adelaide.

Would it be worth bumping Home and Away to 7TWO and just slotting TT in its place? (new people come to the bay, big catastrophe and someone dies, repeat for next season)

You’re not missing much. If TT returns to the east coast, 6:30 is the best timeslot. Get Naomi back too.

2 Likes

I can only see TT with Naomi. But I highly doubt we will see Seven return to the 30minute bulletins sadly.

In the (IMO, highly unlikely) scenario that Today Tonight was to be revived on the East Coast, I think Seven would consider moving Home & Away to 7TWO in at least Sydney & Melbourne especially given the rather poor H&A ratings in those markets these days.

But it’s been over three years now since the program was axed (for the 2nd time, after a revival for 2013), the East Coast has moved on and I honestly can’t say that I miss having TT on the East Coast.

1 Like

If TT ever returned to a format of the current 7.30 or the original revived version of ACA with Jana Wendt in 1988, then I guess it would work well, but going up against ACA, there’s so many things wrong with that.

They won’t move H&A to 7two. It’s target audience is too old. I wouldn’t put it past them that new channels would be coming down the track and it be placed on one of those. H&A will remain as long as the content rule exists that’s for sure.

1 Like

Big story in Adelaide - Frank Pangallo resigns.

Tonight’s Adelaide edition was a farewell to producer Frank Pangallo (Today is his final day at 7) with archive footage reliving the sorts of things he covered since Today Tonight Adelaide began. Original TT presenter to 2007 Leigh McClusky featured in one of the packages giving her thanks to Frank, as did some of the crew.

7 Likes

7 needs to do something to combat ACA at 7.00.
It was dying now it seems to be thriving and constantly beating H&A. Even in Brisbane where H&A was wining most nights, that has reversed.
Whether it’s a show at 7, or one from 6.30-7.30 I’m not sure. But a cross between ACA and The Project could be good.

4 Likes

Seven Sharp makes Today Tonight look like a top quality current affairs programme.

1 Like

I think the main reason A Current Affair still does well in the ratings for Nine can be attributed to two words: Tracy Grimshaw. Whenever this network stalwart of 35 years+ decides to call it quits from the main presenting role, I’m not too sure if ACA will continue to dominate the 7pm timeslot.

Of course, I agree with most who are saying that Seven needs to do something about the 7pm timeslot on the East Coast. Exactly what the solution is, I’m not quite sure. But I don’t think TT East Coast 3.0 is the answer. If you remember the botched 2013 attempt at a TT East Coast relaunch/revival (Axing it over Summer 2012-13! Having a Queensland edition while Sydney & Melbourne had to share a “South East” version!) you’ll probably remember why it didn’t last long!

3 Likes

I watched an Adelaide story last week about a family squabble after the death of one member. It was a totally biased story in favour of the person they interviewed and they trashed everyone else. I know the people involved and know that the interviewee didn’t tell the full story. It was really just typical Today Tonight sensationalist trash. Seven should put Adelaide and Perth to bed rather than extending the rubbish to the east, I think.

3 Likes

Agree. Perth TT is so stale. Everynight it’s Monika saying the same things, the exact same way - wash, rinse, repeat.

2 Likes

I have to say I’m glad you at least agree with me on this @Troiboi !!! TT in Perth especially is so awful, especially with the virtual set and the segments they have, using it as free space to advertise events and the like happening in Perth most of the time. It is so tiresome how Perth-centric they try to make it even though I know it is produced there.

1 Like

The thing about it was that Monika Kos has been part of the Today Tonight Perth team for 2 decades. This was why Today Tonight mostly wins over Nine News and ACA.

3 Likes

She doesn’t have to leave the Seven Perth team in general, I wasn’t suggesting that. She can present one of Perth’s news bulletins. Just get rid of TT. It’s had its time. The east coast has axed it, it’s past time for the rest of Australia to do the same.

2 Likes

So in Adelaide tonight I noticed the side television (aka the screen on wheels) was missing. I don’t know if this is a permanent change.

8 Likes

Seven should consider the possibility of either relaunching TT or a new current affairs program to follow the 6pm news in the coming years, especially for when Tracy Grimshaw inevitably resigns from ACA.

TT Adelaide would an ideal starting point for either a reformatted TT or a new current affairs program. Unlike the sensationalist claptrap that I hear users complaining about on ACA and Perth/old East Coast TT, Adelaide often files well-written, serious stories like the Murray water theft, political issues, children/education, and the occasional viewer competition. The presentation of TT Adelaide also aids this more serious approach.

Regardless, TT Perth could definitely learn a lot from Adelaide.

5 Likes

My only issue is if you are going to use those shots get your presenter to wear a wireless mic and ifb pack instead of having cables running out down their legs.

2 Likes