Today Tonight

IMO Today Tonight was never the same on the east coast after Naomi Robson stepped down at the end of 2006.

5 Likes
20 Likes

RIP Today Tonight: January 30, 1995 - November 29, 2019.

About the most positive thing I can say about TT is that it provided Media Watch and The Chaser with some of their best material. How will those two survive? Probably quite easily between ACA, talkback radio, Sky News after 6pm and (to some extent at least) commercial TV news in general! :wink:

8 Likes

I have to agree. Today Tonight was at its peck around 2004-2006. Naomi helped that show breakthrough to number one on the east coast.

6 Likes

In 2006, Channel 7 continued its ratings surge into News and Current affairs in the 6pm & 6:30pm timeslot on the east coast. Since Naomi Robson left Today Tonight in late 2006, the East Coast bulletins were relocated from Melbourne to Sydney studios when Anna Coren became the next presenter. WHat was the ratings like for TT in 2007?

It outrated ACA in mid 00s. Robson stepped down on 1 December 2006. Anna Coren is now on CNN International hosted the show until October 2008 before 10 Sport presenter Matt White took over until 2012.

I believe they stayed steady on the easy coast. But they slowly declined in Melbourne over the years especially when Mathew White took over. This eventually lead to a local edition being reinstated in Brisbane and production for the Sydney/Melbourne version moving back to Melbourne with Helen. The network prompted 2013 to be a change in direction.

I never did understand the reasons why the network went with that set up in 2013,

2 Likes

Since Matt White left the show, Today Tonight east coast edition shifted back to Melbourne in 2013 where Helen Kapalos presented. The ratings struggled on the east coast (IIRC). In early February, east coast editions of TT got the chop and was replaced by 60 min News Bulletins. Which date was their final bulletin of east coast Today Tonight?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the decision to relaunch a local edition of Today Tonight was made in a bid to improve their South East Queensland ratings? It was around the same time they moved Rod & Kay to the weekend editions of Seven News in favour of Bill & Sharyn.

What I don’t understand is why there was a combined South East edition of TT rather than separate local versions of the program for Melbourne with Helen Kapalos and Sydney with someone else. Oh well, all of that is in the past now.

It would’ve been January 31, 2014. TT East Coast axing announcement was made early in the day on Monday February 3 with the first regular hour long editions (at least as far as weeknights were concerned, the duration of the weekend bulletins was extended later in 2014) of Seven News in Sydney, Melbourne & South East Queensland airing that night.

That was all the seasons of Frontline.

The first season launched when Real Life was on air.

You really could fit the entire Seven Perth office behind that desk. Bloody hell

2 Likes

You can imagine the VO as well.
Live from our Perth headquarters, this is Seven News with Rick Ardon, Susannah Carr, Monika Kos, News Producer 1, Director 1… Freelancer 24…

5 Likes

Although everyone knew that TT was going to wrap up in some form over the years, didn’t think it would happen this suddenly within a week!

I’m interested to see what’s next for Monica, just a real shame she has left the network and they didn’t acknowledge that on air. Especially since she contributed to the winnings in the ratings.

I have a feeling Nine will find a way to get her over to St George’s Terrace in some capacity.

4 Likes

I doubt it. Nine Perth are much better at losing talent to Seven then stealing it.

5 Likes
5 Likes

According to The Australian, Seven will save $5 million a year by axing TT in Adelaide and Perth. 25 TT staff have been made redundant with another 14 redeployed into newsrooms.

3 Likes

That was funny

1 Like

mark “gibbo” Gibson has left tt in perth after 18 years 11 at 7news
one of the nice guys, shame

1 Like

In it to Win it won’t be the same at all.

3 Likes