Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Cheif…

1 Like

These are the headlines Today wouldn’t want. Can’t they just reword their promos and avoid the legal action?

Channel Seven sues Nine over false and misleading conduct after Today Show claimed ratings win over Sunrise
The Daily Telegraph

1 Like

I don’t think they should have to.
Using the industry standard measurement, Today is the #1 breakfast show of 2016, and Sunrise is not.

I get that regional areas push Sunrise over the line, but regional areas aren’t counted towards official ratings in Australia. If they wanted to include the regional areas, than incorporate them into OzTAM properly.

Until then, the 5 city metro is the standard, and Today has indeed won that, and should be allowed to call their program the “#1”, without Seven being childish about it

4 Likes

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:876, topic:101”]
Using the industry standard measurement, Today is the #1 breakfast show of 2016, and Sunrise is not.[/quote]
If they say they are the #1 breakfast show of 2016 then that’s fine but if they say they are Australia’s #1 breakfast show that’s where they will run into a legal battle.

5 Likes

There you go. You could understand viewers being cynical about both shows when they see that.

Yes, I know that. Hence the winky face.

Double standards by Seven. The 5-city metro number is the accepted metric for reporting ratings and has been used by all networks since 2001.

Channel Seven’s media release regarding the 2015 ratings where they claim that “AFL is the most-watched event on television in 2015”.

However, metro + regional numbers show AFL ranked fourth

There are countless other examples.

5 Likes

It is a double standard but they have been clever (sly?) with their wording.

Notice that they say “most-watched event on television in 2015” and are careful not to say “in Australia” which would be incorrect.

1 Like

Well if they don’t mean Australia, where do they mean - New Zealand?

The top of the release says “Seven dominates Australian television; Seven now delivers to all Australians anywhere”. This paragraph follows.

2 Likes

Well they’re only talking about Metro but they’re making it sound like it’s the whole of Australia. That’s why I’m saying they have been clever (or sly). All the networks do it when it suits them.

It’s just now Seven is being a spoil sport because the results are so close and can be presented as a win either way. If a court proves Nine are wrong to claim that they are “Australia’s number 1” because that’s factually incorrect it’s going to look bad for them. But if they said they were “Number 1 at Breakfast” it wouldn’t be factually incorrect.

I wasn’t saying that Seven were being sly. Seven were just reporting that the AFL was the most watch event on TV using the established standard for measuring TV ratings since 2001 - 5 city metro.

My earlier point was they have used 5-city metro to claim the number one TV show even though using metro + regional it was number 4, so how can they sue a competitor for doing the same thing. Edit: Quite easily, apparently :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But this is not a industry facing message - this is a consumer facing message to viewers. The promo goes out nationally to ALL Australians, so it makes sense to use national ratings. If you live in Brisbane or Ballarat - you are still a viewer. And Sunrise is the most watched morning show in Australia - not Today. That is not really something that is up for debate. The numbers I saw were something like580k V 430k - clearly more Aussies watch Sunrise!

That said Seven is being ridiculous - suing. They should put out a tongue in cheek press release poking fun and Nine and saying - OK, we have won 12 years - we’ll give you this one Today - and in 2017 IT’S ON! Make Nine look silly and poke fun. But taking it so serious…

Doesn’t Seven have promos that say “Australia’s #1” for Seven News?

Has anyone gone and counted to ratings for 7 News v 9 News nationally (in the regions) and checked if that is correct?

1 Like

Well I think that this all but confirms that Today has won on fair ground, ground Sunrise has claimed previously:

6 Likes

Lisa is a smart ass and very competitive. She only wrote this to drop ‘today winning ratings’. Similar to when she tweeted to Kristin Davis saying ‘I would love to have you on and talk about your work with refugees’ or whatever. Not needed and shows her true colours.

2 Likes

Nine/Seven Perth went through a similar situation in 1999:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s38005.htm

And of course my favourite part:

Richard Ackland: In its defence, Channel Nine challenged the literal meaning of Channel Seven’s own radio advertising slogan:

“No one knows news like Seven.” (Channel 7 news promo)

Richard Ackland: Seven’s Mr Campbell was cross examined on this claim.

“Is that literally true… that there is no body else in the entire world that knows news like your channel?” “Mr Campbell said his staff at Seven believed so.” (The Weekend Australian. 5-6 June 99, p5.)

1 Like

Well what do you expect? It’s her program that’s been taken to court over this trivial shit

1 Like

I’m not just talking about the court action.

I know you’re not. Television is very competitive

Fairfax has found some old Seven media releases

[quote]In 2005, the network sent out two press releases with the headline " Sunrise is Australia’s No. 1 in breakfast". These statements appear to include metropolitan ratings only – a measure Seven now accuses Nine of mis-using.

… in its end-of-year 2012 press release, Seven excluded Nine’s Olympic coverage from a handful of yearly averages – to its own advantage.

[/quote]

5 Likes