Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Any word on who is taking Allison’s weekend role? Melissa Doyle would be great! Haha

So both Allison and Jayne gone next year.

Just when Weekend Today was at its best in years.

Maybe Sylvia or Leila will return.

1 Like

Clint is in studio today!

Thank-you for the insight, it’s great intel if it does pan out as you say. Sure, they are the front-runners but is this hosting duo locked in? Have Karl and Allison been told? I just can’t see them appointing someone 3 months before they go to air- risking it being leaked (which has seemingly happened) and not trial options over summer.

Whoever the hosts are, they will definitely be wanting to heavily promote them during the tennis and launch them in the last week of January .

Your tweet about doing more OBs is a bad idea though- those shows rate really low. That is why Sunrise rarely do them anymore.

I’d guess Deb.

1 Like

I can’t help but say Poor Deb in all of this.

4 Likes

True.

2 Likes

This morning’s show is absolutely fantastic. The chemistry between the four of them is electric. Clint needs to be on the desk every week. Not sure where Tim has been lately but the weekend team is the best it’s been in many years, if not, ever.

2 Likes

TV Tonight says Friday’s number were the lowest between 7-9am on survey, which dates back to 2001!

2 Likes

There is no doubt they’re changing it. The question is, what do they do with the remaining presenters?

I’m sure the today team know, most want be returning to their current roles next year.

Given her experience with news, she really should be kept as news reader. Tom on sport

Nothing is confirmed until Nine releases a statement about their plans for 2020. Keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Today Perth should expand for 2 hours as an alternative to Sunrise for Perth viewers.

At least Perth would have a local brekky show live from St Georges Terrace reporting on news, sport, traffic weather and what’s going on around Perth and Western Australia. In summer, axe the East Coast edition.

2 Likes

The problem with that is while it sounds good in theory, in practise they just rehash what was on the 6PM news most of the time using the same reports. I can’t see them doing it only because its quite costly and considering Today has never done well in the West anyway there is no real justification.

Today (as a national show) just needs to take a balanced approach in terms of reporting cover stories from each state equally.

1 Like

Is anyone able to post videos of Today Perth showing the format and how it fits with the national show.

2 Likes

utaussiefan at 7am and 8am it runs for 10-15 minutes. Starts with pre-recorded into from the national show who throw to Perth. It is a mixture of local Perth stories and some other national/international stories.

The 7.30 and 8.30 ones are shorter, about 5 minutes.
14th October:

16th October:

17th October:

11 Likes

Really shows that the current version (or updated) of the 9News set should be used for the national show when they move to North Sydney. That looks so much better than their current set.

4 Likes

Everyone is banging on about the hosts, what about the EP, surely if they’ll rejig this, he’s got to go as well??

3 Likes

I know this is highly unlikely, but I would love to see a former EP of Studio 10 return to Nine and be the EP of Today (guess who!).
Alternatively, I know Tom Malone is happy in his new job on WWOS, but he should really come back. He was the one who made the show what it was until Breen and Calvert mucked it up.
But I do agree, Burling has to go.

1 Like

MS insider

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I just remember reading that in an article.

I appreciate what you’re saying regarding OBs. The new team will be planning strat and tactics for next year in the lead up to Xmas.

Initially it’s going to be on location at Aus Open ofcourse. After AO concludes, you might see a rooftop location near Sydney Harbour, Mrs Mac Chair or window view at Shangri La hotel etc… locations being scouted. Today can also commence an on air countdown to ‘their new home at Nine HQ’, which builds excitement and once again, gets them out of the dark Willlougby studio.

I also note the worst ratings result ever for the Today Show on friday 1/11/19.

Finally, Australia’s most respected entertainment reporter Peter Ford is reporting today on radio that the move to Ali and Karl for Today 2020 is on. Concurring with the story I reported on Friday.

Sunrise will have a very motivated rival in 2020.

Let the games begin.

1 Like