Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Has anyone managed to find this guys podcast?

I tried searching for it today. Nothing :man_shrugging:

Yeah I can’t find it anywhere.

1 Like

They could try a short straight news bulletin for a while… maybe 6 or 12 months and program kids shows or whatever around it, doesn’t really matter… basically withdraw from the breakfast news market… if the audience have to watch Sunrise as the alternative they may very well tire of it in 12 months, then re-launch a whole new team, format etc
They have to do something different…

1 Like

Ten still owns the Good Morning Australia trademark.

Saturday 2 November-

Alex Heinke is presenting weather from Queensland this morning.

4 Likes

After all these years they still have it?

That’s a very risky strategy, especially in 2019 when audiences aren’t easy to get back.

Friday’s edition sank to an all-year low- below 260k- making it the lowest result since 2006. Today was outrated nationally by News Breakfast and Sunrise more than 140k ahead!

@TV.Cynic The week gone has to be the lowest weekly result for Today in a long time?

Definitely the lowest week this year.

2 Likes

What else can they do? They’re not just bleeding, they’re haemorrhaging!
All those years ago Sunrise launched as a new player with a new approach against a show that had been established for decades. I get it’s a different landscape these days, but nothing they’ve tried so far has worked…not even Lisa and Karl, their best team in years, we’re able to topple Sunrise for good.

1 Like

Why do they have to topple Sunrise? Why can’t they keep on going with a show at number two? Many shows around the world continue, never making it to number one. Making it to the top may be the goal but it’s not the point of producing a daily breakfast show.

5 Likes

True. the end result is to make money :moneybag:

@JBar Because they are more likely to be the number three show.

1 Like

Well true.
But you’d think being so far behind as No2 wouldn’t be as lucrative to advertisers…
If shows are so content being “No2” why does 9News in Brisbane try to fool people that they’re “No1”?

Also… their current product isn’t really something of amazing quality, so if they’re going to be content with just producing a good show, then do that.

My concern is more that dumping a known brand is much more risky. The ratings now are low, but they’re not asterisks, which is what Nine could see if they moved to a new format and unfamiliar brand.

It’s not impossible for Nine to have its own Wake Up fiasco. In fact, I think it’s more likely now, when there’s much less viewer loyalty than before, for Nine to botch a new program. Today is on the nose, but it’s not unsalvagable. A lot of its current problems come down to terrible branding and poor choice of hosts.

3 Likes

Well, obviously they want to be number one to command a higher advertising rate but it’s number of viewers and demographics that matter more. My point is that you can survive by being number 2 or number 3 if you can still attract advertisers.

You don’t scrap a show and think about restarting it down the track. That would be suicide for the show and the network if they then kept trying new concepts without success. What they need to is research viewer thoughts, trial changes and make them over time.

Sunrise didn’t become number one overnight. They tweaked and tweaked and tweaked it to get it right. And they are still doing that.

4 Likes

Honestly doesn’t worry me, I rarely watch the show. But it’s clear they need to do something very different from everything they’ve tried over the last 15 years

2 Likes

Hi guys the podcast went live on Apple Podcasts November 1. Here’s the link: www.focusmedianews.com.au or search Focus Australian Media News

For the record, my source is a long time Nine employee who I’ve known and trusted for many years. I stand by the story.

Both Alison & Karl are already contracted to Nine and their contracts don’t have to be varied to proceed.

It’s about bringing back the fun and chemistry to the show. What is currently going to air is a total disaster.

My understanding is their chemistry is off the charts and the trigger is ready to be pulled.

To clarify, the move to North Sydney studios is mid to late 2020, however the change to Ali & Karl will come late January 2020 I’m told. I wasn’t suggesting the change will happen at the same time as the relocation.

We shall all await a public announcement of course.

7 Likes