Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Karl and Deb hosting
Tom on news?

1 Like

More likely Karl and Allison with Deb back to 9News.

3 Likes

I remember David and Georgie always had good chemistry with each other whenever Georgie filled in on Today Extra, so I wouldn’t have an issue with her becoming a co-host of the show. Sonia seems to have fallen out of favour with the higher-ups at Nine. Is her contract with the network about to expire? She wasn’t mentioned as hosting next year’s season of The Voice at the Upfronts either if i’m not mistaken.

4 Likes

Totally agree Georgie and David will be a great team on Today Extra.

6 Likes

Maybe that is a reason why David should’ve been brought in to Today mid-year as third host?

But Annette Sharp’s article about Kruger today is questionable is some parts. There is uncertainty about Sonia after she was not included in The Voice at the Upfronts but her becoming host of Big Brother or DWTS is unlikely. And, I think Georgie would only host Extra if Nine perceived her doing just two nights of news for reportedly $800,000 was too much.

Everyone is mentioning this pairing and that is precisely why I doubt it will happen. Nine will have lost any interest in their announcement because it would have been widely speculated.

People seem to forget that Karl and Deb hosted for months after Lisa quit. If that was successful, there would have been no reason for Georgie to return in the first place.

3 Likes

Except Karl and Debs ratings were better than what they have now.

The focus should be gaining those ratings back first at the very least.

1 Like

I do remember reading a big amount of backlash when Deb was taken off Weekend Today. Deb held up the show with Karl. I think Calvert and Marks wanted Georgie back, thinking her chemistry with Karl would’ve been better than that with Deb. I also remember online polls with Georgie on top.

As were Karl and Georgie’s. They would hoping that another host change next year returns the show to the ratings they were getting before Lisa left (though I doubt that will happen).

Deb’s very popular with the audience- they would always get positive feedback when she filled in over summer. Unfortunately, that didn’t occur when she got the gig permanently, in part because she has to wear being criticised for Karl’s absence.

Darren Wick was the one that wanted Georgie back, not necessarily Calvert. At least with this duo they still won a few days nationally last year, despite the lack of chemistry.

1 Like

Except it was successful, they had a remarkably strong end to 2017 given the turmoil and negative publicity that flared up around Lisa’s departure.

Nine has always underestimated Deb’s appeal and it has finally come back to bite them. She is a normal, hardworking mum in an industry that seems to now be full of celebrity newsreaders with their picture-perfect social media profiles, waterfront palaces and brand deals.

Until a big story happens.

“That building falling down looks exactly like that one time on Lego Masters, Andy.”

1 Like

It seems KArl and ALison are being touted as the face of news lately both hosting 60mins and being there for the upfront etc…

You’re never going to stop banging on about Karl, are you?

1 Like

im just fueling those rumours :wink:

Nine denies everything written in The Sunday Telegraph.

Full story:

7 Likes

Must you?

You love rumours. Here you go. Feast on this from the ever reliable New Idea: :stuck_out_tongue:

Tuesday 29 October-

Stevie is presenting weather from Fiji this week.

4 Likes

Despite giving away breakfast TV’s “highest ever” jackpot of $200,000, Today was still more than 80,000 behind Sunrise on Monday.

It got worse on Tuesday:

Today regular and radio personality Robin Bailey sat down with Georgie to discuss the importance of not taking your life for granted. The interview airs tomorrow:

6 Likes

Dire ratings for Today on Wednesday - equal* lowest for the year so far. In Sydney, traditionally Today’s strongest market, it was ourated by News Breakfast and Sunrise had double the audience.

* Note that Today had the same overnight rating on 11 March this year in rounded numbers, but yesterday was lower in raw numbers.

8 Likes