Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Tony Jones please stop. He is sooo triggering and so cringey.

1 Like

Nice work Today showing David Woiwod from Sunrise reporting in the background at the animal protest in Melbourne.

Happens a lot with Sunrise and Today reporters popping up on rival shows during crosses at whatever story they are covering on the day.

3 Likes

Article says it could be Karl and Deb.

Love how the knives are out for Georgie but everyone forgets Karl went through three co-hosts before Today became competitive in the ratings.

3 Likes

@blackbox You know when you talk about Today- you get a rant from me. I respect your opinion and trust that you could be creative with Today, if given the chance. My issues mainly circulate around the credibility of that ā€œinsiderā€, though.

• The suggestion that having Karl and Deb together for 2020 as some grand idea for improving the show is ridiculous. They obviously do not watch the show, as Deb and Karl hosted for 3 months in 2017. Been there, done that.
  • Remember that Karl has pubically admitted that he wanted to leave Today, since 2011 I think and presumably only stayed in it for the money. Honestly, I think he wouldnā€™t want to return.
  • Georgie isnā€™t going anywhere when Wick said she was ā€œhead and shoulders above evryone elseā€. It probably isnā€™t helping that she is being accused of being the cause of Karlā€™s toppling.
    *If Georgie was to be removed from the host position (not what I am suggesting), there is no way she can be demoted to news. She would have to move back to 6pm.
  • Today did a whole week in Melbourne last week (including appearances from Hitch, Livinia Nixon etc) and it was one of their worst weeks last year- Sunrise still beat them in that market. To resonate with Melbourne- you need Lisa.

Plus, Rob, I donā€™t think they have exhausted every measure. There are still things they can do before changing the team again. I would be open to bring back Karl (or David Campbell) as third host with the ladies and see how that goes.

1 Like

The problem is Georgie and Deb are too similar. Both of them are great but they donā€™t work as a team.

(I didnā€™t get the format correct here, apologies)

5 Likes

I have never liked the Georgie/Deb pairing but Karl isnā€™t the answer.

First priority should be to get Tim Gilbert back. They need a proper sports presenter in the studio every day and heā€™s a familiar face. He brings a daggy, middle aged dad dynamic that is lacking at the moment and frankly he should never have been dumped the way he was.

Longer term, I think they need to focus their efforts on boosting David Campbellā€™s profile. I know he doesnā€™t have a background in journalism but I donā€™t think that matters if heā€™s paired with the right person and they have a strong newsreader/third host in the mix.

Iā€™d like to see him filling in whenever possible. Next time thereā€™s a big news event Iā€™d send either Georgie or Deb out to present on-location and have David co-hosting from the studio with the other. Maybe have him on as a guest for a weekly segment (something serious, not fluff) or run a series of special reports about something heā€™s passionate about.

4 Likes

Just imagine the publicity they would get if Karl came back. If you were smart enough to refresh the format at the same time and viewers tune in to take a look, you could just be on a winner.

4 Likes

I thought you knew Nine a bit better than that Rob. They very rarely backtrack when it comes to the on-air talent of their News & Current Affairs programs.

3 Likes

Losing Tim was a big loss- never goes down well when you sack the ā€œnice guyā€. But with him at Sky, there is no need to poach back.

The problem with the old (2018) team was that there was absolutely NO succession plan. Sylvia and Tim were never capable of replacing Karl and Lisa. Alicia Loxley and Deb Knight were often hauled in to host with Sylvia remaining on the news. Their 2012 team was the go.

He is definitely the best male candidate at Nine and seems to be able to work with anyone. Unlike Karl or Tom or TJ, he doesnā€™t have a big ego and I think that is appealing. As for that lack of journalism degree arguement, AOK hosted WS for 12 years and regularly filled in for Koch. And wasnā€™t Sunrise the program that had celebrities host for a week?

Valid arguement. But, what happens if that doesnā€™t work? Long term- is Karl going be there in 5 years?

4 Likes

David Campbell is currently not successful on Today Extra or Weekend Todayā€¦ what makes you think heā€™s the answer for Today?

Sure, but I was only responding to a story out to me. I didnā€™t have any info that suggested Karl was coming back

2 Likes

No doubt it would create a splash but it would also reopen a lot of old wounds. The last thing Nine needs is to reignite the frenzied coverage of Karlā€™s personal life. Just because the media has laid off a bit this year doesnā€™t mean they wonā€™t pounce again as soon as heā€™s back in the spotlight.

5 Likes

So team up Sydney residents Karl Stefanovic and Deborah Knight, then move it to Melbourne.

Ch 9 should also send Tony Jones up to Nth Queensland for their OBā€™s,

Trueā€¦ and leave him there permanently :joy:
Iā€™m sure @nationalnews would love watching him every night.

2 Likes

you can forget about regional australia they will always go to sunrise. maybe what they should do is have 2 todays, one for the metro and one for regional australia, or at least do doing something so that regional australia is included

Canā€™t believe people are giving credence to rumours printed in the pages of a magazine notorious for making up stories.

4 Likes