Today (2015-Sept 2020)

The radio silence (from official quarters anyway) can be interpreted in a few ways.

Perhaps it’s just down to the Xmas/New Year period when it’s likely a lot of the key staff and comms will be away. This goes for reporters on the media beat too.

Or they’re negotiating with talent from another network.

Or remember this only really just broke a week before Christmas so not impossible they’re still just in the dark as we are. :joy:

3 Likes

Sadly, it’s confirmed that Blockhead Bingo or whatever the hell it’s called these days is returning on January 14… so much for a news based show. Gonna be the same old same old.

1 Like

That’s what I’d be doing.

1 Like

Huh?

Block of Cash called Blocky I think.

Bad move nonetheless. I thought we were done with Cash Cow gimmicks.

2 Likes

what part did you not understand?

The part where it’s confirmed. Where is this confirmation?

apart from all the promos this morning during the show? :wink:

How long has Nine had this way of entering where you can buy multiple entries on your mobile phone account, up to 25 entries for $9.99? It’s not available for Telstra and Vodafone customers.

So if the cash gimic is coming back then I don’t expect heaps about the format to change then. :confused:

Nothing about Blocky in there. It’s prob just a generic cash giveaway to get viewers in. They have to pay the bills or they would have advertorials on the program.

1 Like

No one said that they were going to be a “news based show”. Despite a year on year growth for News Breakfast, most of Today’s viewers fled to Sunrise or stopped watching breakfast TV, not ABC.

It will be same, same but different.

I actually remember reading that somewhere too.

it was rumoured in several articles. But my reference was more like “well you can rule out a news based show”. They need to be DIFFERENT to Sunrise, not a carbon copy.

1 Like

Format changes should be eased in throughout the year. Start off with the new team and then slowly start incorporating new segments while removing others. Imagine waking up one morning to an entirely new show than the one you watched just yesterday?

Indeed. But people will go on about how Sunrise does this, or that, or whatever (such as the apparently very important “have people from every state otherwise no one will watch” nonsense), as though it’s the only way. If I wanted to watch Sunrise, I would (except I wouldn’t because I dislike all their presenters). To be the same as your chief rival would be a recipe for doom.

Whether people like it or not, Sunrise has a decent mix of presenters that most states can relate to while the recent Today team has been mostly NSW/QLD-centric aside from Natalia & maybe GG.

Of course the presenters (and where they come from) isn’t the main/only reason why Sunrise is beating Today in the ratings, but personally I think Nine should have the sense to realise that they need a presenting team which is truly fitting for a national breakfast show.

1 Like

Yes, good point. How do the residents of the Jervis Bay Territory, Territory of Norfolk Island, Territory of Christmas Island, the Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Coral Sea Islands Territory, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory relate to the presenters of Today and Sunrise when none of them are from these areas.

10 Likes