Today (2015-Sept 2020)

@TV.Cynic Is Today up in Melbourne, or is it just that Sunrise is down recently?

Looking at potential reasons for the “uptick” in Today’s fortunes in Melbourne, I can see a correlation to the Ashes test matches. Nine are running promos for Today that talk to the ‘exclusive access’ to cricket from the UK. In Melbourne, the Ashes have been the number one (or close to) show on every day of the cricket. So the scenario is watching the cricket at night and tuning in to Today to see what happened after you went to sleep. If this is the case, Today’s challenge is to keep those extra viewers.

Typical promo

Today is up slightly on some days.

10 Likes

That’s very good look at it :+1:

He contributes daily to The Morning Show and sporadically to Sunrise and Daily Edition. Surely he’d be getting something for that, even if not strictly “on the payroll”.

1 Like

Former Today Newsreader Sylvia Jeffreys and Former Nine News Europe Correspondent & Weekend Today Host Peter Stefanovic have announced that they are expecting their first child. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/sylvia-jeffreys-and-peter-stefanovic-expecting-first-child-together/news-story/76a6409b99c4046519a0a0aa5dd2daaf

10 Likes

Today is extending to 9.30 tomorrow for coverage of the Pell appeal verdict.

2 Likes

Tom Steinfort’s Last Morning on The Today Show before his wedding

2 Likes

Wonder if he’ll come back😂
Lord knows what happened last time a co-host got married!

8 Likes

Who’s filling in as the 3rd host? Maybe Nine should get Tim McMillan back although I’m assuming that Tom will only be away for two weeks tops?

2 Likes

They should bring Karl back for a couple of weeks.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Karl Stefanovic was dropped from Today for a very good reason. It’s time to move on!

3 Likes

It Could be Mark Burrows again

And look what’s happened ever since.

Maybe Scotty Cam?

and The ratings went down :anguished:

…and the ratings weren’t going down in 2018?

I realise this may not be a popular opinion, but it’s absolutely appalling how many of the exact same people who were wanting Karl Stefanovic to be kicked off Today this time last year (no pun intended) have since done a 180° u-turn and are now all “Come back Karl, we really miss you!”.

For Today to evolve in a positive way as we look forward to 2020 and the move to North Sydney (which I strongly believe will likely be used as an opportunity to relaunch the entire network), the show needs to look forward not backwards. Fresh new talent rather than the same tired old hacks we’ve had on our screens for many years.

5 Likes

So new hosts and new content I’m guessing

Believe it or not, people’s feelings can change once you have something taken away from you.

Ever heard of “don’t know what you have until it’s gone”?

I don’t think anyone they put in will be good enough to compete with Sunrise until they loose Kochie or Nat/ Mark.

Today is the 2Day FM of TV. They need to wait til Kyle and Jackie retire before they even have a chance at becoming competitive again.

1 Like

Hopefully they’ll confine their matrimonial work bitch sessions to the privacy of their home and not air Today’s dirty laundry in the back of an Uber.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t agree. No one on Sunrise is Ian Ross or Brian Henderson or Rick & Sue. Today have beaten Sunrise on God knows how many occasions in the past, let alone in 2016.
Dethroning a breakfast show that has been on top for more than 15 years is possible, you only have to look at GMA in the U.S.
Today must be different. They need a strong emphasis on local news, social media, live performances etc. It is possible for Today to beat Sunrise.

1 Like