Tipping Point

MAJOR SPOILER BELOW

In today’s episode (20/12/2019), a contestant won the jackpot (£10,000) using his final trade counter. I believe this is the first time an episode in which the jackpot has been won, or a contestant deciding to take the trade at the end, has aired on Nine. Happy to be corrected.

4 Likes

Today’s episode of Tipping Point will be the last for at least two weeks, with the Australian Open giving way.

It will remain to be seen whether it does return on February 3, once the tennis concludes, or whether Nine News Now will resume in its 3:00pm timeslot.

If NNN does return I’d have it at 2:00pm so as to go H2H with The Daily Edition on Seven, and then leave Tipping Point at 3:00pm.

2 Likes

As we now know, Tipping Point is now a permanent fixture in Nine’s afternoon schedule which means Nine News Now is no longer likely to return.

2 Likes

Good, that junk deserved to be in the trash.

Currently seeing a bit of this show and good grief it’s beyond boring and bland. No excitement at all and far too slow moving. The format is not captivating either and the whole show is just very flat.

The Chase and Hot Seat are far superior formats to this.

A promo has aired during today’s episode stating that “new” episodes will start airing again from next Monday (27 July).

Nine has been airing repeats for the past few weeks (have no idea why, though).

3 Likes

Looking Forward to it, but I really hope an Australian Version will be made once they get rid of Hot Seat as Eddie McGuire has Too Much TV and Radio duties going around.

2 Likes

As much as I would love to see this happen, unfortunately I can’t see a local version being commissioned in the next 18 months at least.

But should they proceed, the coronavirus impact aside, there would be no other major impediments because the British version does not have an audience in regular episodes (celebrity specials, titled “Tipping Point: Lucky Stars”, do have a live audience).

And no, we don’t need Eddie hosting another game show on Channel Nine. Imagine him saying “lock it in” when a contestant selects a zone in which to drop his or her counter, or when a contestant selects an answer in the final round.

1 Like

During today’s episode, a promo ran advertising new episodes of the UK version to be broadcast on Saturday nights at 7:30pm.

Will be nice to see the show get a run in prime-time, so as to continue to capture an audience - could this be a forerunner to an Australian version being commissioned in the future? I hope so!

2 Likes

I reckon they’re testing out a Saturday 7:30pm timeslot for the Tipping Point franchise - firstly with the UK version and if that’s successful, they’ll then produce an Australian version.

If Tipping Point Australia then does well on Saturday’s 7:30pm, Nine may consider axing Hot Seat and making Tipping Point their 5pm weekday game show.

2 Likes

I don’t think we are there yet. Hot Seat is still doing well. I don’t think it needs to be axed yet.

3 Likes

Testing the waters for sure. Saturday nights first for the UK version in January. And if they rate well enough (for a Sat night), then i can certainly see Nine airing a local edittion - as specials first. And then if that does well enough, a weeknight version will air and finally replace Hot seat. S

2 Likes

Perhaps Nine could use the Easter non-ratings period to temporarily air an Australian version of Tipping Point in the place of Hot Seat (although they’d only have three months from now before it would go to air so I think it’s unlikely).

This way they can see how an Australian version would go at 5pm, and if it flops, it wouldn’t matter because it’s non-ratings.

1 Like

3 Likes

This is not right for a night time slot. It’s an afternoon show. The Chase flopped in prime time, so I can’t see this doing any better.

2 Likes

If Nine hypothetically made a local version of Tipping Point, who would make a suitable host?

One left field name that comes to mind is Nine News Sydney sports presenter Cameron Williams. I think he’d be able to cut it. The tone of his voice would work well.

Another in house option could be David Campbell.

2 Likes

Cameron Williams no. David Campbell yes. But would he want to do it?

1 Like

Campbell would be good, kinda under-utilised at Nine. Sure he would, prime-time exposure, tape shows a few days a month.

3 Likes

I’d also have a potential jackpot of $100,000 (and $200,000 should the double counter drop simultaneously with the jackpot counter at the end of the game), as I think $10,000 is too low of a “maximum” prize money (as was the case with the Australian version of The Weakest Link, which had a potential top prize of $100,000 as opposed to £10,000 on the British version).

Possible novelty prizes could include, among others, a Gold Coast holiday, a new television, a cruise etc.

As with the British version of Tipping Point, there would be no studio audience for the Australian adaptation.

2 Likes

I’m a bit torn on this one - wouldn’t having a studio audience create more atmosphere, give some energy to the show for the 5pm slot?

I prefer it without the audience at 3pm for the UK version to make it a bit more relaxed, but I think a 5pm show would require a studio audience to add more life into it.

1 Like