Tipping Point

This is reminiscent of how Millionaire Hot Seat promoted its first million dollar question episode which was to be shown in a prime time slot in its first year (2009) on Queen’s Birthday.

Ultimately, the contestant answered it incorrectly, but was given a holiday to Hawaii and $5,000 in spending money as a consolation prize in what Eddie McGuire declared was a “one-off”.

3 Likes

8 Likes

…doesn’t a perfect game mean we don’t see the temptation offer?

1 Like

Yes and no, i guess the ultimate aim is to win as much money as possible and risking the Temptation might allow you to win even more.

2 Likes

98,000 winning margin for Tipping Point in the metro markets yesterday!

5 Likes

Great episode tonight

1 Like

Hadn’t they filmed 100 episodes before the series started and have had another filming block since the series began, so that should see them through to the end of the year. They’ll certainly have new episodes to run off the back of the Olympics, and with the time difference and it being a key new show for them it will likely run during the Olympics too.

3 Likes

You’d think so, it’ll boost TP even more too, Seven did this with Chase during Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 to big success.

1 Like

do take note that it will be 9:00am in Paris when Tipping Point Australia airs (assuming it remains in the 5:00pm timeslot). This would mean that the day’s action would need to begin on 9Gem or 9Go, also assuming that action on Nine would begin at either 7:00pm or 7:30pm (depending on if ACA continues to air, or is rested).

I thought it was mentioned months ago that main channel Nine would be wall to wall Olympics with the exception of Today and Nine News?

4 Likes

Agree, I can’t imagine Nine will keep Tipping Point on air at 5pm during the Olympics.

Only other programming on main channel in prime time would probably be the NRL in the ‘rugby’ states and NT.

3 Likes

The Chase has aired a shortened 30-minute versions before. Can Tipping Point do a shortened edition too? If ever needed?

2 Likes

Good question. But they would need to omit one round, this is how I think it should go:

• Two contestants start the game instead of three.
  • Segment 1: Bank builder (six questions instead of nine)
  • Segment 2: Quickfire (played normally). Whoever has the most money at the end of this round goes straight to the final round - head-to-head is omitted.
  • Segments 3 and 4: Jackpot Round (played normally).
2 Likes

Probably get shafted to 9Gem, like how AFL got moved to 7Mate when Seven had the rights.

1 Like

Yeah can’t imagine NRL would take precedence over the Olympics, even in Sydney (look at Seven’s Olympics and AFL in Melbourne over the years - since digital m/c era Rio and Tokyo plus Gold Coast CG all main channel with footy moved to 7mate except Birmingham due to perceived lower ratings which did occur).

Just look at Beijing 2008 criticism and complaints, pre proper m/c and an older AFL deal, including delayed AFL with BH&G priority. There was also a spat between Foxtel and Seven that year.

1 Like

How reliable are the daily ratings that show Tipping Point Aus is beating The Chase Aus? Would the old ratings system prior to 2024 have reflected this?

I just find it odd that The Chase Aus, which has been wildly popular for the last 8/9 years, is now getting regularly beaten by a competitor that’s only been airing local episodes for six months.

1 Like

@TV.Cynic has been posting the 5-city ratings regularly which reflect the old rating system.

5 Likes

Yesterday, Tipping Point would have beaten The Chase by 90,000 under the old rating system. across the hour.

Nine reported “up 58.7% in it’s timeslot when compared to the same day last year.”

5 Likes

I think what you might be referring to, is how under the old system there were a lot of extra codings, which I believe OzTAM (jointly agreed to by networks) have put a stop to (e.g.) Chase 5pm, 5:30pm, News 6, 6:30, Winner Announced, etc etc Which of course used to inflate the numbers significantly.

But in saying that, it means TP (in the old numbers of a 5:30pm coding) probably would be doing 100-200k metro broadcast ahead of Chase each night with like 500-600k vs 350-450k!

Should have stuck to his gut!