The Voice

The press release failed to mention that 70-year-old former NSW Police detective Gilbere Bassin serenaded the audience with his rendition of Edith Piaf classic La Vie En Rose, but failed to turn a chair. When the judges turned to face Gilbere for a chat, Jason had a few words with Gilbere in French. Jason is the son of Haitian parents (his family name is Desrouleaux) and can speak fluent French.

Did the American immigration officer say he couldn’t be bothered spelling Desrouleaux so he spelt it phonetically as Derulo?

Judged on his voice alone

Coaches beg, block and battle over sensational performer

Tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, The Voice artists dug deep as superstar coaches Jason Derulo, Rita Ora, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy pulled no punches to secure their favourite singers in the Blind Auditions.

David Aumua, 24, blew the coaches away with his inspirational four-chair-turning performance of You Say by Lauren Daigle. Rita described the Queenslander as an “undeniable force” as David revealed how his weight insecurities prevented him pursing music until now.

Jess, moved to tears by David’s story, was determined not to lose the “raw and authentic” star, blocking Guy mid-pitch before getting on her knees begging David to join her team. Humbled, David chose Jess.

Four-chair turns continued when mother of three Nyree Huyser, 37, took to The Voice stage to put herself first. The performer, originally from Scotland, wowed the coaches only five notes into Stone Cold by Demi Lovato. Rita called Nyree’s talent “next level” while Guy asked: “Where have you been hiding?”

Jess and Rita went head-to-head with their passionate pleas before Nyree joined Team Rita.

Year 11 student and Guy Sebastian mega-fan, Caitlyn Bamber, chose to audition with his hit song Before I Go. Mesmerised that her idol turned his chair – alongside Jason and Jess – it seemed a no-brainer Caitlyn would select Guy as her coach. However, persuasive pitching from superstar Jason saw the 16-year-old WA student make a shock move to Team Jason.

Disability Support worker Maz Green spun Aussie coaches Guy and Jess with her unique voice. Singing TikTok tune Snap by Rosa Linn, the 26-year-old brought out the healthy rivalry in the coaches, before she ultimately selected Team Guy.

Sixteen-year-old Sihana Haxhnikaj turned one chair with her performance of Nothing Breaks Like a Heart by Miley Cyrus. Rita saw potential in the NSW teen’s talent as they bonded over their shared Albanian heritage.

Thirty-eight-year-old WA beauty queen Hayley Parker failed to spin any chairs with her audition of Holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, as did NSW performer Saba Saliba who took to the stage with original song Disco Jesus.

See tonight’s incredible performances :

David Aumua’s incredible performance of You Say by Lauren Daigle

Nyree Huyser turns chairs with Demi Lovato’s ballad Stone Cold

Caitlyn Bamber takes on superstar coach Guy Sebastian’s track Before I Go
Maz Green sings Snap by Rosa Linn

Sihana Haxhnikaj performs Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Miley Cyrus

Tomorrow night 7.30pm on The Voice: Powerhouse cousins, a timid teen and a voice from the outback bring the fight to Australia’s biggest stage.

“We can win this together”

Teen overcomes nerves to show her true colours on The Voice stage

The Voice Blind Auditions continued on Channel 7 and 7plus as unforgettable acts left superstar coaches Jason Derulo, Rita Ora, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy in awe.

Giann Jordan, 17, from Queensland showed her True Colours, overcoming her nerves to perform the Cyndi Lauper classic on The Voice stage. The proud Indigenous teenager turned three chairs in only her second time ever performing in front of an audience.

Giann shared: “I’ve always thought my voice wasn’t that important and it didn’t need to be heard over other people.” Overwhelmed after her Blind Audition, Rita reassured the teen and helped her breathe.

Jess blocked Guy, securing Giann on her team and declaring: “We can win this together.”

Cousins Tee Toleafoa and Raye Alapati, both 33, have been singing together since childhood. Tonight, they earned four chair turns and stunned the coaches with En Vogue’s Don’t Let Go (Love). Rita said: “This is why I keep coming back to Australia year after year, because the talent here is another level!”

Tee and Raye joined Team Jason, with Jason announcing: “I might have just found the winners of The Voice.”

Jade Taunton’s emotional performance of Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide moved all four coaches’ hearts and chairs. Jade shared her story as a carer for her sister who has cerebral palsy stating: “I didn’t know who I was as a person.”

After Jade’s powerfully raw Blind Audition, Jess comforted the 23-year-old from WA on stage, revealing the performance “took me to a whole other place with her vocals” before she chose Jess as her coach.

Cruize Karaitiana, 32, from Queensland took a risk performing Carry On by Kygo featuring Rita Ora. It paid off with chair turns from Rita and Jess, with Cruize choosing Team Rita.

Self-taught singer Jaxson Cornell, 23, from Victoria, honoured his late mum with I Fall Apart by Post Malone, earning one chair turn and a spot on Team Guy.

Giaan Jordan sings Cyndi Lauper’s True Colours
Powerhouse cousins Tee and Raye Perform Don’t Let Go by En Vogue

Jade Taunton’s take on Fleetwood Mac classic Landslide
Jaxon Cornell sings Post Malone’s I Fall Apart

Cruize Karaitiana performs Carry On by Kygo featuring Rita Ora

Monday 7.30pm on The Voice: An OMG moment when Jess turns her chair, and a special song takes Guy back in time.

Seven revealed this evening that the new season of My Kitchen Rules would start on Monday September 4. With The Voice only reaching the ultimate callback and battles stage that week, it will be interesting to see how Seven juggles the two reality shows.

Likely The Voice will be Sundays only.

So when is Big Brother coming?

There looks like there will be 5 Sunday episodes of the show with a Grand Finale pending for Oct 1.

Ultimate Callback, Battle 1, Battle 2, Semi-Final, Grand Final.
This is only if the audience filming sessions were only 1 ep each.

If MKR is the same as last year (4 eps per week for 4 weeks), we could see it finish before The Voice, and then SAS/Big Brother starting Monday Oct 2.

2 Likes

The Voice grand final certainly won’t be on Sunday October 1, as it is the night of the NRL grand final.

Good point! I wonder how they’ll do it now

Aussies vs internationals rivalry heats up

Guy and Rita go head-to-head to secure extraordinary voices

Tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus,The Voice superstar coaches Jason Derulo, Rita Ora, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy took no prisoners as they fought to secure more incredible artists on their teams.

Folk music legends The Bushwackers took to The Voice stage hoping to appeal to a new generation. Performing I Am Australian – a song that Bushwackers member Dobe Newtown co-wrote with Bruce Woodley from The Seekers they turned four chairs before the coaches and audience joined in to sing along to the iconic anthem.

Jess was stunned to be reunited with the duo after 20 years, relaying that when she was 14, The Bushwackers became her impromptu band and helped her win a country music competition in Tamworth. After securing the duo on her team, Jess exclaimed: “I can’t believe this is happening, it’s a full circle of my life.”

Guy also thanked The Bushwackers for their song, revealing when he moved to Australia in 1988: “I had a Malaysian accent, my culture was pretty different… whenever I felt like I didn’t fit in as a kid I would sing that song.”

Elsa Marilyn’s stripped back take on Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell floored the coaches, turning all four chairs. Rita commended the 17-year-old from NSW, gushing: “That for me was a perfect audition. There was not one flaw,” while Guy called Elsa his “favourite voice that I’ve heard on The Voice 2023.”

Elsa chose Rita as her coach, with Guy regretting he didn’t block rival Rita.

Twenty-seven-year-old New Zealand performer Marley Sola came straight from the altar to serenade The Voice coaches. Cheered on by his new wife, the music school owner earnt four chair turns with his knockout performance of Ribbon in the Sky by Stevie Wonder; the same song that kickstarted Guy Sebastian’s career. After choosing Team Guy, Marley was joined by his idol for a special duet of the song.

Victorian music teacher Elly Poletti gave the coaches A Million Reasons to turn their chairs with her Lady Gaga cover. With four coaches in her corner, Rita and Guy went head-to-head again, with Rita declaring the 32-year-old’s voice “perfection".

Not willing to lose another artist to Rita, Guy blocked her mid-pitch, before convincing Elly to join his team.

Avid birdwatcher Jade Talbot swapped tweeting for tunes with Celine Dion’s It’s All Coming Back to Me Now. The 25-year-old Victorian turned Jason’s chair, progressing to the next round.

Rita and Guy both turned their chairs for extroverted accountant Gabby Asta, 22 from Victoria, who performed a gritty interpretation of Tate McRae’s She’s All I Wanna Be. Pitting the coaches against each other, it was Rita who emerged victorious.

The Bushwackers perform the iconic track I am Australian by The Seekers

Marley Sola flies high with Stevie Wonder’s Ribbon In The Sky

Elsa Marilyn sings Joni Mitchell’s classic Big Yellow Taxi
Gabby Asta’s gritty rendition of Tate McRae’s She’s All I Want To Be

Jade Talbot performs Celine Dion’s classic It’s All Coming Back To Me Now
Elly Poletti takes on Lady Gaga’s Million Reasons

Tomorrow night 7.30pm on The Voice: The coaches’ teams fill up, and with only two spots on Team Jason, he’s out for The Voice crown.

At last, singer faces her fears on The Voice

Power of music unites

Tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, a soulful classic, disco banger and unique take on a coach’s own song turned superstar Jason Derulo, Rita Ora, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy’s heads and chairs.

Trisha Godinet, 31, mesmerised all four coaches with At Last by Etta James. Trisha, who hasn’t sung for seven years, always wanted to audition for The Voice but the fear of rejection held her back.

Trisha finally took the leap in honour of her mum who passed away in 2020. Jason was in awe: “You are one of the strongest performers thus far on the stage. Australia did not come to play!”

Trisha joined Team Jess who said: “You sing that as good as the greats have.”

Jayden Miranda, 29 from Victoria, took a risk performing coach Jason’s song Want To Want Me. All four coaches turned their chairs as Jason said: “Damn, that used to be my song!” Ultimately, Guy’s slick pitch secured Jayden.

Libby Worboys from NSW took to The Voice stage with a stripped back performance of Maniac by Michael Sembello. Her twist on the iconic tune paid off with three chair turns; as her new coach Guy declared the 19-year-old had “a great storytelling voice.”

Drag queen Brenda Bressed, 24 from Victoria, proved she was Strong Enough by turning two chairs with the Cher disco classic. Guy said: “You nailed it” while a delighted Rita secured Brenda on her team exclaiming: “This is what life is about! I’m living for you.”

Jake Lyle, 19 from Queensland, sang Frank Wildhorn’s This Is the Moment from musical Jekyll & Hyde . While he didn’t turn any chairs, Jason said: “I was a musical theatre kid myself… I think you have an incredible instrument.”

Guy admitted it was harder to secure chair turns at this stage of the Blind Auditions explaining: “Our teams are almost full; you have to show a lot of angles of what you can do as a performer.”

Victorian brother and sister act Zac, 18, and Eliza, 20, didn’t turn any chairs with Shania Twain’s From This Moment, but Guy praised their “beautiful tone” and encouraged them to keep performing.

Also failing to turn any chairs were Sam Harper’s take on Harry Styles’ Late Night Talking, and Jomeca Lafaialli, who sang Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell’s Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.

Trisha Godinet’s spellbinding rendition of Etta James’ classic song At Last

Jaydean Miranda performs Jason Derulo’s Want You To Want Me
Libby Worboys strips back Michael Sembello’s Maniac
Brenda Bressed belts out Cher anthem Strong Enough

Tomorrow 7.30pm on The Voice: Superstar coach Rita Ora busts out her final block to secure an emerging star.

Inspirational recovery

Young bellboy learnt to sing, after learning how to walk again

Tonight on The Voice, monumental performances saw superstar coaches Rita Ora and Guy Sebastian officially close off their teams – with Rita saving her final block for a must-have singer – as Jason Derulo and Jessica Mauboy also fought it out for their favourite voices.

Twenty-year-old bellboy Christian Ellis shared how singing gave him something to live for, after spinal paralysis from a soccer ball hitting his lower back left him learning to walk again. The Queenslander’s acoustic version of Tina Turner’s The Best had Jess and Rita screaming with excitement before they even turned their chairs.

However, it was Jason’s pitch to become both a singing and personal mentor that convinced Christian to join his team.

Newcastle water polo player Emily Kate, 18, mesmerised all four coaches with her own spin on 90s classic Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.

Rita asked: “Do you know incredible that audition was? Emily, you have just changed my perspective of being a coach on this show. That was the perfect audition.”

Guy agreed: “That was a 101 masterclass of how to audition for The Voice.”

Rita put her words in action by using her final block on Jason – before he even began his pitch – as Emily took the last spot on Team Rita.

Before Charlie Pittman’s father passed away, he gave his son the final push to follow his dreams and become a singer. Walking onto The Voice stage, the 25-year-old from NSW auditioned with Dean Lewis’ How Do I Say Goodbye. His moving performance spun the remaining available coaches around, with Rita peeking out over the top of her iconic red chair not wanting to miss the incredible act.

Guy commented: “I think you’ve got the goods to make a career out of this,” while Jess confirmed: “You’re a ready-to-go pop star. You could be on the radio tomorrow.”

Charlie chose Guy as his coach, securing the final place on his team.

Christian Ellis performs Tina Turner’s Simply The Best

Emily Kate turns four chairs with her take on Goo Goo Dolls 90s classic Iris
Charlie Pittman performs Dean Lewis’ How Do I Say Goodbye

Sunday night 7.00pm on The Voice: With superstar coaches Rita and Guy’s teams at capacity, it’s Jess and Jason’s final chance to top their teams with winning voices.

I saw the last 30 minutes of tonight’s episode after Thank God You’re Here finished. I noticed Rita climbed up her seat and turned her head during a performance, that’s when I realised her team was full.

So Sunday’s 1 hour 45 minute duration of the show will only see 3 or 4 contestants go through? I thought tonight’s show had lots of padding, but Sunday’s show will have even more, id imagine.

“The Callbacks” will follow, airing on next Monday and Tuesday night.

2 Likes

We will probably see blind auditions & some callbacks. I remember in 7’s first season the last episode of auditions had the callbacks thing as well

With the Callbacks airing this week, here is the interior set at Sydney’s Disney Studios.

voice1

voice2

voice3

voice4

voice5

voice6

voice7

voice8

voice9

voice10

voice11

voice12

voice13

2 Likes

The impossible dream comes true on The Voice

Final Blind Auditions bring fields of gold

Tonight on The Voice, phenomenal final performances saw the epic Blind Auditions wrap, as superstar coaches Jason Derulo and Jessica Mauboy filled the last remaining spots on their team.

Callum Warrender, 28 from Victoria, blew the coaches away as he secured the final place on Team Jason with a breathtaking performance of Josh Groban’s take on The Impossible Dream from the musical Man Of La Mancha.

With only Jess and Jason’s teams still open, Rita and Guy were peeking over their chairs as Callum’s mind-blowing voice received a standing ovation. A vulnerable Callum, who has loved musical theatre since he was a teen, shared his experiences with rejection: “I have struggled with my career but unfortunately when you don’t fit the mould the doors don’t open.”

The coaches empathised, as Jason revealed: “I was a musical theatre kid. I auditioned day-in day-out and had so many doors shut in my face until one day I got a yes.”

Callum said: “This is the best moment of my life.”

Dan Daniels, 58 from country Victoria, leads a solitary life admitting: “Out where I live, I might not talk for days… I’ve gone a month without even seeing another person, you get used to that life.” Dan’s mesmerising performance of Johnny Cash’s Ring Of Fire turned both Jess and Jason’s chairs.

Dan chose Team Jess who marvelled at his “Nick Cave quality of storytelling.”

Shyjana, 24 from Western Sydney, lost everything in a house fire in 2019. After her performance of Castles by Freya Ridings had both Jess and Jason pitching for the young star, she joined Team Jess, with the coach claiming: “You just scream pop star to me.”

Victorian Nenah Jones, 18, scored the final spot on Jess’ team. Nenah’s “angelic” voice on David Bowie’s iconic Heroes captivated Jess, who declared: “That was most perfect audition I have ever seen on this show!”

Nenah shared the song was dedicated to her brother Marcus, who was diagnosed with cancer last year. Jason admitted: “I was touched by that performance,” declaring her Blind Audition a figurative four-chair turn.

Despite not turning any chairs, Candice Casagrande, 37 from NSW, touched the coaches with her “hauntingly beautiful voice” on Eva Cassidy’s Fields of Gold.

Callum Warrender sings The Impossible Dream

Dan Daniel’s takes on Johnny Cash’s Ring Of Fire

Nenah Jones performs David Bowie’s Heroes

Shyjana performs Freya Ridings’ Castles

Monday 7.30pm on The Voice: After the showstopping Blind Auditions, artists now face The Callbacks as the fight to stay in the competition intensifies.

A lot of comments tonight on social media about the episode feeling rushed and only a few seconds being shown of some performances.

1 Like

The fight to stay in competition intensifies

Superstar coaches face tough decisions on The Voice Callbacks

Tonight on The Voice, the fight to stay in the competition intensified as Australia’s newest vocal stars faced The Callbacks on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Superstar coaches Jason Derulo, Rita Ora, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy grouped their artists in trios to perform songs chosen by each coach. One artist from each trio went straight through to The Battles, one was given a lifeline – a final chance to wow their coach at the world-first Ultimate Callbacks – and one artist exited the competition.

Guy’s first trio was tasked with classic Aretha Franklin songs. Marley Sola wowed with You’ll Never Walk Alone and Guy sent him straight to The Battles, saying: “You did it flawlessly.”

Michaela Jayde’s “smoked honey” voice on You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman earned her a lifeline, while Libby Worboys left the competition.

Guy’s second trio performed Miley Cyrus songs. Bella Mackenzie’s rendition of Slide Away slid her straight into The Battles, Robbie Hunt’s take on Wrecking Ball earnt a spot in Guy’s Ultimate Callback, while Jaxon Cornell left the competition as Guy said: “I’m so proud of you.”

Jason’s first trio of powerhouse voices were tasked with Katy Perry songs. Maree Mamalis was no Dark Horse, and “literally just blew this place up,” earning a spot at The Battles. Calista Nelmes’ “fresh out of the gate perfection” of When I’m Gone saw her progress to The Ultimate Callbacks, while Caitlyn Bamber left the competition.

Jason’s second trio saw Andrew Taylor Knight move to The Battles with Bring Him Home from Les Misérables. Jason said: “Andrew you can sing better than almost anyone.” Alex Jeans proved himself with “technically a perfect vocal” on Bon Jovi’s Bed of Roses, while Charlette Ginu exited The Voice.

Rita tasked her first trio with a theme of epic collaborations. Nyree Huyser “smashed” her rendition of Bang, Bang by Jessie J featuring Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj, progressing to the next round. Ben Esber’s “unbelievable” vocals on Lovely by Khalid featuring Billie Eilish secured a spot in The Ultimate Callback, while Cruize Karaitania left the competition.

Rita’s trio of young guns saw Elsa Marilyn’s stunning version of Eva Cassidy’s Songbird earn her a spot in The Battles. Gezel Bardossi’s performance of Mercy by Duffy secured the 12-year-old another chance to sing at The Ultimate Callback, while Sihana Haxhnikaj was sent home.

Jess’ first trio took songs they have performed on their TikTok to a new level. David Amuma secured a Battle spot with Imagine by John Lennon. Sean Millis went to The Ultimate Callback with Lewis Capaldi’s Bruises, while Dan Daniels left the competition.

Jess’s next trio performed songs by Aussie icons. Giann Jordan’s Run To Paradise by The Choirboys topped the trio and secured her spot in The Battles. The Bushwackers Solid Rock by Goanna saw them progress to The Ultimate Callback, while Tiarose Burgess departed The Voice.

Bella Mackenzie sings Slide Away by Miley Cyrus

Marley Sola performs Aretha Franklin’s You’ll Never Walk Alone

Maree Mamalis sings Katy Perry hit Dark Horse

Andrew Taylor Knight performs Bring Him Home from Les Misérables

Nyree Huyser sings Bang, Bang by Jessie J featuring Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj

David Aumua performs Imagine by John Lennon

Elsa Marilyn sings Eva Cassidy’s version of Songbird

Giann Jordan performs Run To Paradise by The Choirboys

Tomorrow 7.30pm on The Voice: The Callbacks continue as the race to The Battles heats up, Guy throws a curveball and Jason doesn’t hold back.