The Voice

If they aren’t now, they will be in 1-2 years. I mean, look at X-Factor. These shows just cannot last forever in a country like Australia.

2 Likes

This morning’s news that Seven snatched the rights to The Voice from Nine, overshadowed a Q&A in today’s issue of Stellar, in which Guy and Chris Sebastian addressed the backlash against them when Chris decided to compete and eventually won this season.

Out of interest, do you think MAFS or LEGO Masters would be The success they are if Nine has not initially gone into Big Brother and established the reality brand with them? I don’t necessarily think so. Bring the audience and then build from there.

What a schedule…

1 Like

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not :sweat_smile:

What actually is Ultimate Tag and how does the show work? I’m probably not their targeted demographic so I wouldn’t watch or find Holey Moley/Ultimate Tag interesting, but I guess it could potentially bring them a younger audience

I agree. Seven needs a core audience that is watching them on a regular basis like Nine has. They don’t have one right now and they need to build that. New shows like Holey Moley and Ultimate Tag will only be successful if Seven had a platform which is solid.

Lego Masters was successful in part due to MAFS being a massive juggernaut. The Voice also saw a resurgence because Lego Masters led into it with massive audience. Seven needs to have something similar for the same effect (they used to have MKR but that’s flop nowadays).

To their credit Seven has commisioned new formats in Ultimate Tag and Holey Moley. They just need more IMO. But they also need to find the audience that abandoned them in the last few years and also bring new audience.

4 Likes

they really stuffed up with the format.

As people said before they need to only show backstory if someone gets through, they need to get rid of the knockout round and just go back to the battle rounds. the singers should go out as they are voted out, so if for eg… Delta’s team all goes out in the first 4 shows, she still has to show up and critique the others. and no nepotism with judges.

1 Like

According to the Seven CEO, they’re planning to go straight from the blind auditions to the semi-finals, so it’ll be a much shorter season.

In my opinion, if they decide to do this there’s no need to create ‘teams’ and the prolonged pitching (let’s be honest, most of them will be culled in the semi-finals so the coaches will only be ‘mentoring’ them once)

I doubt it will be shorter. They will probably just do more blinds.

From memory, I do think they were saying a shorter season, but could be wrong. Currently on Nine, they already do 10 episodes of blind auditions and the last week always seems like filler material

2 Likes

They said it was going to be quicker.

Yep and that probably means shorter season - The Voice was 21 episodes this year, so I don’t see how they’re going to drag out the blind auditions, semi-finals, and final to 21 episodes

Wonder if Nine will revive Australian Idol now or is that as expensive as The Voice?

1 Like

No, thanks.

1 Like

in my Google News, I’ve heard that Nine couldn’t get to an agreement with The Voice and apparently Seven is buying the rights.

1 Like

Based on what Hugh Marks was saying in his announcement and what we now know about The Voice deal with 7 (apparently signed on Friday), it looks as though this came as a surprise to Channel Nine too.

I’m guessing they were wanting to renegotiate at a lower cost, thinking that none of the other networks would sign the format rights.

2 Likes

Of course, Channel Nine is saying that the show was their ‘poorest financial performer’, but judging from what Marks’s words last week, everything was still up-in-the-air and they hadn’t made any decisions to axe it yet.

2 Likes

Not “apparently” but definitely. Just check the last 50 million comments in this thread since this morning. :wink:

6 Likes

Somehow I can imagine a particular ex-member and a prominent Seven spokesperson on this forum cheering at the prospect of Seven airing The Voice next year.

2 Likes

I’ve seen that Seven is planning to slash the budget for The Voice to $15-$20 million (compared to Nine’s supposed $40 mill) - I hope it doesn’t bring down the quality of the production.

The selection of coaches will be interesting - if they’re reducing costs it’ll be harder to bring any international coaches (I’m pretty sure Nine would have spent about $5 mill total on the 4 coaches + 2 hosts this year)

1 Like