The Voice

Probably more cutbacks in areas like news & current affairs + local programming, further ripping the traditional heart and soul out of Seven.

I’d imagine the fact her husband Craig McPherson has a fairly high ranking position at Seven was a major contributor in Sonia’s decision to “return home” late last year.

On the flipside, Nine has been ending their associations with some more divisive network personalities (eg: Alan Jones, Sam Newman) in recent times. Sonia Kruger is probably one that fits into that category after those comments about Muslims on Today Extra during the aftermath of 2016 terror attacks in Nice, which likely clashed markedly with some of the family friendly entertainment programs she was fronting.

Same.

I’ve sometimes wondered “Was the mid-morning program that ran on Channel Ten between 2010 & 2012 really that good?!” whenever The Circle gets mentioned on these forums! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Reality is, you can really only afford to take risks when you have a base to launch them from. Seven is trying desperately to sure up its base. Will be most interesting to see if it works or not with something like Plate of Origin tonight.

1 Like

So this the second time Sonia Kruger has stuffed up Darren McMullen’s hosting gig on The Voice. :axe:

4 Likes

Haha that’s actually so true :rofl: I’ve always wondered whether rumours that they didn’t get along were true, although I’m pretty sure Darren decided to quit the first time because he ‘couldn’t watch any more kids getting their hearts broken’ (that didn’t stop him from coming back this year did it… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

Sonia was the easy option to host for 7 - already on a contract with them and knows the format back-to-front. It is interesting though because if 7 were truly wanting to ‘revamp’ the show, it would’ve been better to start fresh with an entire new cast

4 Likes

Mott is delusional. The Voice would be a long way behind numerous entertainment brands and franchises.

1 Like

It baffles me they just move these shows around network to network. And that they can’t (or won’t) find new talent or different talent to present them.

2 Likes

7’s decisions to constantly pick up other network’s axed formats will bite them in the ass in a couple of years.

Clearly the audience is tired of this show. It’s had it’s run, time for something new.

I’m suspecting Channel 7 is having monitoring 10’s business model by having less news and shifting to a entertainment focus.

6 Likes

While you have a vaild point, how and why is it possible that The Voice have 18 seasons in USA since 2011 and the audience isn’t tired?

Seven need more successful entertainment programming as all their in house stuff has been garbage. Warburton is smart to lean in on ITV and especially EndemolShine as they produce almost all of Nine’s primetime tentpoles.

1 Like

I think he was smarter to pick up formats like Holey Moley. I am sure there are other formats they could have gone for as well. Shows like the Domino show that is being pitched to networks and even Finding Prince Charming that has recently aired in Germany could have been potential formats they could have gone with.

1 Like

TV shows that work in the US don’t necessarily translate to Australia. Even though the US franchise also hasn’t produced a star in its 18 seasons, it’s still quite a well-rating show and certainly doesn’t have the ‘hate’ that the Aus version does (their main selling point was the fun bickering between Adam/Kelly and Blake, which is light entertainment rather than over-produced ‘drama’).

I think it also helps that they switch up coaches quite a bit - and most of them are still quite ‘A-list’ - John Legend, Nick Jonas, Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, etc.

2 Likes

I think the USA is somewhat irrelevant in this considering they have a population of 318 million people and a much different TV market.

3 Likes

Personally, I think that move has the potential to bite the networks on the backside if/when ITV, EndemolShine, Fremantle Media and other major production companies decide in the future there’s more money to be made selling the shows direct to consumers via their own streaming services.

Absolutely agree with you - the show might experience a slight increase in ratings next year, solely because of the revamp, but the truth is that this format has been over-used and I know most people are pretty much sick of it.

It might have a run on 7 for 1-2 more years, but I’m sensing that viewer fatigue is going to spell the death of this show.

The networks will continue to compete with streaming services, Networks have the advantage of being live as well which helps some shows, although less and less.

Seven still have holes to fill if they don’t bring back House Rules and My Kitchen Rules.

2 Likes

Yeah it is looking that way. Both shows took up roughly 20 weeks of the year for them (longer in previous years). And so far they have replaced it with Holey Moley, The Voice and Ultimate Tag.

I would say that free-to-air definitely has the advantage for reality shows, especially public-voted shows which are better suited to airing ‘live’ and not having all their episodes released at once.

1 Like

It’s the same thing they did with Love Island and Seven nearly ‘stole’ that show off them. There’s only so many times a network can play games like that before it comes back and bites them - today was that time for Nine.

Are they though? While it didn’t do as well as it did in previous years, the show still rated quite well. If Seven can improve its demo numbers and address the numbers declining after the blind auditions, it could be a solid show for them.

1 Like

Yep I instantly thought about the Love Island debacle when I saw the announcement this morning! The saving grace for Nine is that ITV Studios couldn’t produce a season of Love Island this year due to COVID, so Nine probably got out of that situation by arguing that they had already bought the rights but were hesitant because obviously they won’t be able to air until 2021

1 Like

This seems like a dumb move too me. 7 has seen first hand the death of singing and competition show formats, so not sure why they thought this would work. It will most likely rate okay in 2021, soley because of it’s new network but will die off in coming years.

3 Likes