The Voice

If Seven would do a tighter version of the show in 2021, i have an idea for them:

During the audition stage: no contestant should have a backstory. That should shed about 45 minutes a night of footage. And there shouldn’t be a scripted drama between the judges too. Saving another 30 minutes of footage. The show will focus on the singing and chair-turning from the judges. Without the usual sob-stories and judge fighting, they’ll get through quite a lot of singers during the show.

(backstories of contestants can appear when they make the top 12).

1 Like

Plastic surgery? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

And get rid of the long ad breaks. They are excruciating and is one of the reasons I can’t really be bothered with the blind auditions these days. Frankly there are more ads than singing in that show.

They should try and reduce ad breaks or their duration like they did with Big Brother and Secret Bridesmaid’s Business.

So all that talk of Sonia leaving Nine because she wanted a “fresh start” with “new opportunities”…? She’s hosting 2/3 of the shows she fronted before.

18 Likes

Disagree - Kruger was and still is a good fit for The Voice. Hopefully this means they’ll find someone else to replace her on the AGT judging panel.

Don’t think the show’s production value is the issue - it’s the format and the over-emphasis on the judges rather than the singers

The Circle being this forum’s hobby horse when it comes to new formats is becoming really tiresome.

Seven should start afresh with a completely new panel

A network needs two types of shows - ones which target the demos they’re seeking for advertisers and ones which will rate well in order to be successful ratings-wise. While I think Seven still needs to commission more programs which do the former, shows like The Voice helps them with the latter

PS: I’m not deliberately going after you Tom - it’s you posted a lot of things I wanted to reply to!

1 Like

The current coaches would be the most expensive part of the show after the format fees. Better to bring in a fresh panel so there’s more negotiating power over appearance fees to keep costs down.

Surely we’ll see at least one coach who is already on the Seven payroll too.

5 Likes

With The Voice moving from CHannel Nine to SEven in 2021, I think we may see 4 new judges to freshen up the show. I think we may see some International judges (depending on the restrictions). Having new coaches will be great for the show.
Also, I am leaning towards Sonia Kruger to host the show. However, next year, Sonia will appear on Big Brother, The Voice, AGT and even the Tokyo Olympics. Sonia will have too much to host.

No need to lean, my friend - she’s already been confirmed as host!
As my mother would say, “stand up straight, young man!”

2 Likes

You have made some really good points so it’s not an issue lol.

I wonder how much the format rights cost?

Reading the articles, it looks like Channel 9 were planning to let it expire to renegotiate at a lower cost. How on earth does Seven have enough money to purchase the rights (most likely at full price)?

I think it’s a tired format and not necessarily a smart move by Seven - although making it a shorter season will probably be a good idea

1 Like

image And the Logie for the most number of platitudes and jargon in a media release goes to:

Yet no singers!

16 Likes

I agree, they are better off going with all new judges to give people a new reason to tune in.

Would much rather them bring back Australian Idol and cause hype around it returning, rather than taking a show that is clearly identified with Nine. The only benefit for 7 really is that WA and SA will be more exposed to this show lifting the ratings compared to Nine.

1 Like

I would personally like The X Factor to return because that’s a show that is very Seven.

As for new coaches I could definitely see someone like Ricki-Lee fit in that role. Add in the likes of Jessica Mauboy, Kate Miller-Heidke, Nat Bass and Hugh Jackman (yes I know I’m dreaming) and I’ll consider tuning in.

3 Likes

It would be funny to see Ricki-Lee coach The Voice and host AGT, and then have Sonia host The Voice and judge AGT :rofl:

That would truly be the definition of recycled talent (but on a serious note - it’s crazy to think that Sonia was talking about ‘a fresh start’ when switching networks but is pretty much doing the same shows as when she was on 9

3 Likes

My guess is she’ll definitely do Big Brother and The Voice, and most likely they’ll find a new judge for AGT. Depending on the schedule of BB and Voice, she could potentially fly over to Tokyo for the Olympics.

3 Likes

Both of these prospects are awful.

Though since they’ve made up their minds then we’ll live through it.

I must be the odd one out. I don’t know anything about it.

1 Like

Part of the ‘ridicule’ of the show was that it focused more on being a ‘reality show’ rather than the talent discovery journey like X Factor and Idol.

No offense, but isn’t going straight from the blind auditions to the semi-finals even more proof of that? I’m guessing coaches won’t really be mentoring the contestants anymore, seeing as most of the talent will only perform twice (blinds + semi-final) before being cut from the grand final.

Surely if 7 wanted a singing contest program, they could buy a new International format or create something original - like 10 have done with The Masked Singer. 7’s schedule is becoming boring and audiences are desperate for new ideas - part of the reason FTA numbers are down and streaming is so popular.

4 Likes