The Voice

Is The Voice the most expensive TV show in Australia? I can’t recall any other show which requires as much ‘talent’.
Usually shows need a host (Hamish for Lego Masters) or judges (3 judges on Masterchef/MKR), but to have 2 well-known Aussie coaches + 2 overseas coaches (paying accommodation for their stay) and now the addition of 2 hosts (1 of which has to be flown from overseas as well) would have to be expensive.
Is producing The Voice actually worth the budget?

Looks like TV Tonight also thinks they’re deliberately showing the cheating scandal as promo for tonight when it’s actually happening on Monday

Also an interview the hosts did today sheds a bit of light to the ‘scandal’. Darren mentions that it shouldn’t have been allowed but it would not have been fair to the contestant if this didn’t happen. Guy ends up with an ‘advantage’ compared to the rest of the coaches. I’m guessing this means Guy’s allowed the extra team member but the other coaches don’t. This is most likely airing on Monday - if it airs tonight you would think that the coaches would all be able to get a 13th team member tomorrow.

“TVTonight” thought this was occurring on Monday but saw promos for tonight and got confused

In what way?

My guess is Guy get’s his ‘last’ team member early tonight and then turns around again towards the end of the show. They’re most likely ending on a cliffhanger and we won’t know the ‘outcome’ until tomorrow. He’s definitely going to get the extra team member which is why Darren says Guy has an ‘advantage’.

I’m just quoting Darren who says ‘we kinda have to let him cheat otherwise it’s not fair to the artist’ in the interview.
I know reality TV is cutthroat but it would be cruel if the contestant didn’t get through. When the contestants audition they don’t know how many spots are left on the coaches teams - unfortunately Guy was the only one who turned around so it’s not as simple as excluding Guy from his choice for coach. To have someone turn around for him only to say he’s not eligible and is out would be quite unfair

3 Likes

But could this not be the case for any contestant? Why in this specific situation would this happen?
We’ve already seen the judges not turn around in order to save spots? If the spots are gone the spots are gone?

I mean, if the show didn’t prepare for this to happen without some sort of cheating happen, that’s ridiculous.

1 Like

There’s a difference though - Guy did turn around for the contestant. It’s not fair to take that away from the contestant because the coach ‘didn’t realise’ his team was full.

I think producers disable the chairs once their team is full, so that even if you pressed your button it wouldn’t turn around.
Either the producers/Guy deliberately did this for drama, or maybe someone forgot to disable his button so when Guy pressed his button (maybe out of annoyance that he couldn’t turn around), the chair actually did end up turning

3 Likes

The article from TVT concerning which night the controversy happens is based on the preview episodes provided by Nine. As the article mentions it is possible that Nine have had the next two episodes edited from the original provided by ITV.

1 Like

Oh so TVT’s preview episode probably looked like Monday would be the ‘cheating scandal’ but my guess is they’ve edited it so it airs at the end of tonight’s episode and is resolved in tomorrow’s ep.

2 Likes

The re-edit is possible because the 2 episode “look” to have been recorded on the one day based on the clothing/costumes of the judges.

2 Likes

The coaches wear the same outfits throughout the whole blinds.

Though it feels like the blinds have been going on forever, in reality, I think it takes only 3 days to shoot the entire blinds. But yes they wear the same clothing for this exact reason - the order that we’re seeing these contestants perform is edited. They usually put all the 4-chair turns and best voices in the first week to get people watching the show.

3 Likes

Looks like the alleged “cheating scandal” is set to broadcast on Monday?

1 Like

Looks like the TVT article was right and Nine actually didn’t end up editing anything. TV networks get away with a lot of false advertising don’t they :sweat_smile: All the promos literally said 'Sunday 7.00pm: The dirtiest superstar clash of the year! ’

2 Likes

TV networks by themselves are not the most reliable you’ll see :wink: (in terms of advertising)

:slightly_smiling_face:

I can deal with all the hyperbole like ‘best blind auditions ever’ or ‘you’ve never seen this on The Voice’ (spoiler alert: it’s a carbon copy of last season) but having a promo saying something is happening tonight when it’s the next day may be taking it too far.

Watching this episode there were so many duds and no-chair turns that half the viewers would have switched off already, but I’m sure most were waiting to see how the cheating was all gonna play out.

Yes. The broadcast episode was identical to the preview episode.

2 Likes

Maybe you could be right in terms of your previous assumptions where I saw you said that many turn off toward the end of blinds/start of other stages - and the coincidental timing of the drama which Nine believes will help them - I think will just lead to their demise - in a way much like MKR?

Really? Why would audiences wait to see that?

1 Like

It seems Aussies love a bit of drama and scandal to spice things up! :rofl:
The ‘cheating’ has been heavily promoted everywhere - from The Voice social media pages to ads on Ch 9 and there was a Today Show interview this morning with the hosts dropping little hints as to what the cheating is exactly. Obviously there’s a lot of hype for it, especially because no-one really knows what the scandal is.

I was following #TheVoiceAu on Twitter tonight and half of the tweets were just talking about when they were going to air the cheating scandal. Not to mention they really drew out this episode when it could have finished tonight (there’s only 1 spot left on Kelly and Delta’s teams). When we got to the end people were complaining that they could have watched Masterchef tonight but watched this episode because they were wanting to see what the scandal was.

Sucked in.

That was the point of Nine’s promo. Lure people to watch the show itself.

1 Like

But then what led to MKR’s demise?
As in, many said the drama led to the show’s rating slumber
And I was thinking this theory could possibly be applied here in some way

I definitely saw this happening last year - the final episode was very boring and rated significantly lower than the rest of the blinds. With all this ‘drama’ they’re hoping to retain their audience, especially because viewers now have Masterchef and Big Brother as other options if they’re bored of The Voice