The Summit

well they give off the same energy

So the twist tonight is that some people can get to the Summit and not win any money… Because the eliminated contestants will pick how it’s shared.

Honestly… there is zero structure to this show. The rules and concept just changes constantly. It is beyond ridiculous. Even tonight they let them skip some of the course via helicopter because they were never going to reach the top on time!

Let’s predict that someone like Isaac will end up with all (or most) of the cash.

1 Like

Yes more random rules coming out of nowhere. This seems reminiscent of how the jury selects the winner of Survivor =, that the eliminated contestants pick who gets the money.

The helicopter stunt was massive producer interference to ensure the at least someone gets to The Summit.

The returnee twist didn’t go down well on social media from what I could see.

1 Like

Yep. So it seems they were always going to get there in the end. Even with the “twist” being shown last night it’s basically saying that someone definitely will get to the top. I’m not sure how they will fill in 3 more episodes becuase they seem so close. But I’ll guess that maybe they reach the top this week and the finale is then more focused on how the money is split.

I am not surprised. These contestants are basically playing the game blind folded. They don’t know what game they are playing. The rules are made up or change as they go.

The thing is the most interesting aspects for me are the obstacles along the way. Like last night watching them cross rivers and climb up waterfalls. They could have had more of that to really test people physically (and potentially have more people drop out naturally) rather than so many gimmicks.

1 Like

So last night, the climbers made no progress because of bad weather then were “winched” to the next camp by helicopter. Meanwhile they had time for more letter from home. Less crying over love-ones and more climbing was needed.

2 Likes

The rope climb last night looked tough and those moments are the exciting aspect of this show. Maybe if they had a couple more extremely tough obstacles that really could have tested people and have people drop out that way, they wouldn’t have needed to do so many stupid twists and constant forced choppings.

The spacing of this show has been strange. The first 3 episodes of the show covered more than 7 days, then the last week has been stretched out over 6 episodes. It makes you wonder if the producers were expecting more drama/drop outs in the first half but didn’t get it, so instead ramped up the twists and drama in the last few days.

Something feels very suss about the Alex vote out. Jans was the target the previous episode but merely survived the because he coincidentally was the one holding the cash. Yet at the very next check point suddenly that same person (Lulu) that was about to chop him took a complete 360 and went for Alex.

The promo department aren’t great either - if you analysed the promo for Tuesday’s episode close enough you could see everyone but Alex at the rope crossing. We predicted him going even though there was never an indication of Alex going until last night. Jans and Alex were the only two they didn’t show close up but there was a birds eye view with a bright green coat which we knew wasn’t Alex.

1 Like

This show has so many flaws in the format I don’t know if it can be saved. I really dislike the lack of action; the majority of the show is people sitting around doing nothing and talking about each other. Last night was a prime example; the vote off (that should have been shown the previous episode) took up way too much time. I also dislike the way the voting is done. Too much peer pressure - one person puts up their hand and the rest follow. Secret voting would be more interesting. The biggest issue is the lack of any consistent set of rules that are followed.

2 Likes

ISAAC, BROOKE AND LULU SHARE THE SUMMIT CASH PRIZE OF $490,000

Three trekkers are sharing the spoils and walking away with a life-changing total of $490,000 after conquering the peak in Nine’s big adventure program, The Summit.

512x341

Facing a gruelling 14-day deadline in the pristine alps of New Zealand’s South Island, Brooke, Lulu and Isaac reached the summit and were triumphant among the 14 everyday Aussies who started the journey. They were up against dangerous terrain, heart-racing obstacles and the “mountain’s Keeper”, following their every move, as they endeavoured to conquer the mountain and win their shot at one million dollars.

But when these three finally made it, after being physically, mentally and morally tested, little did they realise that was just the beginning – they were about to face another mighty twist.

As host Jai Courtney told the exhausted trio at the top of the mountain, “be kind to those on your way up, because you never know who you’re going to meet on your way down”. In a shock ending, the 11 trekkers who were voted out or cut from the competition were given the power to decide how the prizemoney would be shared.

After pleading their case to the eliminated trekkers and answering tough questions, Isaac was granted a massive $250,000, Brooke $150,000, and Lulu $90,000.

Isaac, 33, from Dubbo said: “To have made it to the top of the summit has been the greatest achievement of my life. I’ve pushed my mind and body to new heights and made some lifelong friends along the way.

“The first thing I’m going to do with the money is buy my mum a new kitchen. Thank you to the teams at Channel 9 and Endemol Shine. You gave me the opportunity to change my life.”

Brooke, 38, from Adelaide said: “Making it to the top is a massive personal accomplishment for me in more ways than anyone can imagine. The game was gruelling, but I came well prepared with a strategy that took a lot of careful planning each day during the experience.

“To win the money will be life-changing for me. The first thing I will buy is a new car. I’ll put the rest away for a deposit on a house.”

Lulu, 38, from Fremantle said: “It means so much to me to be standing on top of the summit. Getting in touch with my grit and determination, chasing the thrills and peaking with excitement. And inspiring my children, family, young girls and women who can do anything. There’s no obstacle too big that we can’t overcome. Anything is possible.”

The Summit is an original concept developed by Endemol Shine Australia (a Banijay Company) and NINE.

Well I’m kind of sour about that outcome. This twist to have the contestants decide was always going to favour Isaac and it sure did. He did not deserve that significant amount of money over the other two. They all got to the top fair and square. In fact Isaac almost quit a couple of times and needed a lot of motivating by the others to continue his journey. He also wasn’t put in many situations where he was forced to make harsh decisions like the other two were. It just felt like producers wanted him to get more.

The person that came off the worst last night was Jaqui. What a sour woman. Brooke had already apologised to her and told her that things were misinterpreted etc yet she was still holding a grudge. I loved how some of the others backed up the decision for her to go. Be angry at the producers for throwing these spanners in constantly… not the contestants.

1 Like

Heads up, The Summit will be broadcast on TVNZ 2 in New Zealand on Monday 24th July at 7.30pm.

2 Likes

Now casting for season 2. Interesting it’s been renewed.

From 2024 Upfronts:

The Summit - Season 2

It was a nailbiter moment for Australia as three trekkers conquered The Summit, and shared life changing prize money. In a stunning new location, season two will return even bigger in 2024, hosted by Australian actor and Hollywood star Jai Courtney.

A new group of Aussie go getters will embark on an unforgettable adventure, conquering the impossible to reach the top of one of New Zealand’s highest mountains and earn the chance to walk away with a share of $1 million. A thrilling game of trust, greed and betrayal, where strategy rules and morals will be tested, physical limits will be pushed to new levels while the mountain’s Keeper follows their every move and will test the trekkers in ways they never won’t see coming.

1 Like

Kiwi actor Manu Bennett will host the US version of The Summit for CBS. It will also be filmed in New Zealand like the original series.

I’m interested to see the US version and how much of the filler/twists from our version that they adopt. I think this show is a good concept and could be good if executed better. Our version just had way too much padding and I found a lot of it a bit disjointed and inconsistent (like they were making up a lot of it as it went along).

1 Like

They will turn into Over the top dramatic American reality TV fare.

If the American version flops as well then there’s no hope for this second season. Might as well commission something different and preferably established in the market from another country.

5-sec promo

2 Likes

The second season has already been filmed and will include some “familiar faces”. Hamish Turner told TV Tonight:

We have iterated it, taking those bits we thought worked really well and found different ways to bring that drama and jeopardy to the table. There’s some clear format points that are different with Season Two, and some real cliffhanger moments.

1 Like

Another international version.

1 Like