The Royal Family

Yes it has meaning for a future King, but what’s so bad about being a Royal “Spare” leading a life of extreme privilege and wealth, without having the burden of being a King?

I’ve seen the “spare” thing play out much worse for commoners - when there’s only one family farm to pass on for example. This is what I mean when I say Harry doesn’t seem to understand his privilege, and complaining about being a Royal spare is quite pathetic.

Still not the sob story Harry needs it to be. There are people out there facing war, famine, political corruption, poverty, and real tragedy. They deserve sympathy and don’t seem to resort to the level of whinging Harry is.

7 Likes

I’m starting to think he doesn’t know any other way to deal with it - he’s spent a significant portion of his life where he is tightly controlled in an environment where he’d be forcefed how to behave, think, express feelings and he simply knows little different.

He’s quickly becoming a walking case study into why the Royals need to enter the modern era

4 Likes

Harry? Is that you? :laughing:

1 Like

Well done, Harry! I’m proud of you. :wink:

:money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Love him or loathe him, at least this gave me a laugh.

6 Likes

https://www.royal.uk/coronation-weekend-plans-announced?fbclid=IwAR0_mls6XpYBrq9tdzb-JrREpSvfKxWnUeNNPVmwFlNAb_-RRThNGmugqXk

Prince Andrew tries to overturn settlement:

be interesting if a public holiday is declared for this.

1 Like

The coronation is on a Saturday so there may not be a need for a public holiday. It’s like when Australia Day or Anzac Day fall on a weekend, we no longer get the Monday off too.

1 Like

May 8 is a popular day as an alternative for January 26 and the UK is having a Thank You public holiday that day.

We had one on September 22 last year after the Queen’s funeral for the national day of mourning.

Im up for more public holidays.

But am not sure if we need one for the Coronation of King Charles. It falls on a Saturday anyway, so “many” have the day off anyway. But i do get the public day for the Queen’s death as a “day of mourning” (or any future Kings or Queens deaths).

2 Likes

What? No public holiday for the Coronation? We might as well be a Republic if we can’t get a lousy day off for that.

2 Likes

I wonder if we will in fact lose public holidays like the Kings Birthday if we become a Republic?

1 Like

If we become a republic, i’d say the whole public holiday calendar should get a reform. Australia day could become republic day, queens birthday dumped and some of the highly Christian public holidays replaced with more multicultural friendly days.

Outside of Christmas and Easter, what Christian public holidays do we have? If they are what you are referring too, I would suspect most people don’t celebrate the highly Christian elements anymore anyway.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Let’s do it.

When Australia becomes a republic they should declare it on 1 February so that becomes the new Australia Day. King’s Birthday could be swapped for an Indigenous Day at the start of NAIDOC week.

Early Feb seems like the best time for a national day. You still have the public holiday in the summer and it moves off the controversial Jan 26 date. And I do agree it is high time we had a day where we recognise First Nations people and culture.