The Project

In its early years, presenters were rotated each night. 10 should go back to this format

1 Like

Didn’t they only just start doing this again? Back in 2020.

Although aren’t her and Lisa the people who generally are on the show when Carrie isn’t, so didn’t really work with her directly?

2 Likes

From Alice Coster in the Herald Sun:

Whispers from inside the green room on Wednesday said Bickmore’s ridgy-didge bestie Tommy Little was also following her lead and exiting the show to focus on his radio career (cha-ching). But those at Ten said Little would be back next year in his role as a friend of the show. Little’s management sent a statement to Page 13 saying “Tommy’s very much looking forward to receiving a call from The Project team again in 2023.” Watch this space.

He’s an occasional guest. Not really a big loss or headline or anything.

1 Like

He’s noticeably scaled back his appearances over the year.

5 Likes

Yes. Since he started touring again and has been involved in other work, he seems to have somewhat lost interest in The Project.

Not lost interest, but not needed it. He’s got other commitments.

Tommy was doing regular reports/interviews at one point. I’m sure he has better things to do now, like so many others who have abandoned the show and its tiny audience.

Yes. When we are at the peak of the pandemic when there was no touring and less work options. We’ve established that.

1 Like
1 Like

I know he’s trying to be like his dad but are the Khaki’s necessary?

That’s his image though. He is khaki.

2 Likes

It’s his brand brother, let him roll with it.

7 Likes

Peter Helliar’s last week.

1 Like

They made the open even worse last night, after Waleed solo intro’ing the first story, instead of going to an interview it abruptly goes to Georgie reading another headline and then back to Waleed reading another story. The randomly Pete does the next story.

1 Like

No more team photo.
From their socials.

7 Likes

Pete’s final episode tonight.

1 Like

Ok so this might be slightly controversial but I just wanted to put it out there.
I would like to preempt by saying that I personally like waleed and this he is a great journalist. But what I want to raise here is two potential issues revolving around waleed for discussion, only because in all the commentary I see on the project( and there is a lot of it) none really concentrates on him.

Point number 1: waleed’s presence on the show just Doesn’t feel right. He struggles with the banter and the lighter side of the show and almost looks like he is above 80% of the content and how it is presented. Again, I think he is talented and belongs somewhere on Australian TV but I just don’t think this is the right vehicle for him. He deserves a more serious, focused current affairs show that will allow him to flex his journalistic muscle a bit more rather than laughing along to a comedians joke.

Point number 2: I don’t mean any offense by this in any way, but as progressive as australia likes to think it is, we do not have a habit of supporting minorities, at least in the mainstream media. I know there are probably exceptions to this rule, but anytime a gamble has been made on a personality or concept I don’t remember it working. I am totally happy to be proven wrong here but recent examples are obviously waleed, the host of the challenge ( granted that was a dog show), tens ‘I will survive’ program, even hamish on Q & A. I know these decisions have always been celebrated and are well justified in regards to representation etc, but australia just does not have a history of supporting topical appointments like this. Even Neighbours, which was well celebrated for its diversity and first to market storylines such as gay marriage, dwindled and dwindled in the ratings. All I am
Saying is that there is an undercurrent of bigotry in how we support decisions like this in mainstream media.

Again, this is not a criticism of waleed, but perhaps the project just never stands a chance with him at the helm. And even the diehard fans are probably as confused by the fact that he looks uncomfortable and seems to not mesh well with the panel.

I think the project is a great show that is much needed on Australian TV and I want to see it succeed. However I feel like it just never will have a chance in the Australian tv landscape.

2 Likes

I don’t mean offence but…you’re just dog whistling here.

So you think that because Australians are bigotted, we should not have diversity on our screens or have any other representation besides white, anglo saxon, protestants?

1 Like