The Project

That’s his image though. He is khaki.

2 Likes

It’s his brand brother, let him roll with it.

7 Likes

Peter Helliar’s last week.

1 Like

They made the open even worse last night, after Waleed solo intro’ing the first story, instead of going to an interview it abruptly goes to Georgie reading another headline and then back to Waleed reading another story. The randomly Pete does the next story.

1 Like

No more team photo.
From their socials.

7 Likes

Pete’s final episode tonight.

1 Like

Ok so this might be slightly controversial but I just wanted to put it out there.
I would like to preempt by saying that I personally like waleed and this he is a great journalist. But what I want to raise here is two potential issues revolving around waleed for discussion, only because in all the commentary I see on the project( and there is a lot of it) none really concentrates on him.

Point number 1: waleed’s presence on the show just Doesn’t feel right. He struggles with the banter and the lighter side of the show and almost looks like he is above 80% of the content and how it is presented. Again, I think he is talented and belongs somewhere on Australian TV but I just don’t think this is the right vehicle for him. He deserves a more serious, focused current affairs show that will allow him to flex his journalistic muscle a bit more rather than laughing along to a comedians joke.

Point number 2: I don’t mean any offense by this in any way, but as progressive as australia likes to think it is, we do not have a habit of supporting minorities, at least in the mainstream media. I know there are probably exceptions to this rule, but anytime a gamble has been made on a personality or concept I don’t remember it working. I am totally happy to be proven wrong here but recent examples are obviously waleed, the host of the challenge ( granted that was a dog show), tens ‘I will survive’ program, even hamish on Q & A. I know these decisions have always been celebrated and are well justified in regards to representation etc, but australia just does not have a history of supporting topical appointments like this. Even Neighbours, which was well celebrated for its diversity and first to market storylines such as gay marriage, dwindled and dwindled in the ratings. All I am
Saying is that there is an undercurrent of bigotry in how we support decisions like this in mainstream media.

Again, this is not a criticism of waleed, but perhaps the project just never stands a chance with him at the helm. And even the diehard fans are probably as confused by the fact that he looks uncomfortable and seems to not mesh well with the panel.

I think the project is a great show that is much needed on Australian TV and I want to see it succeed. However I feel like it just never will have a chance in the Australian tv landscape.

2 Likes

I don’t mean offence but…you’re just dog whistling here.

So you think that because Australians are bigotted, we should not have diversity on our screens or have any other representation besides white, anglo saxon, protestants?

1 Like

So funny to see the Cash Cow from Sunrise appearing at the end of tonight’s show. It brought out a large bucket of custard for Pete to have a sip.

5 Likes

I wonder if The Project would get more viewers back if they didn’t start the show with the traditional land statement? Also the opener which then entails the top story. I think the old start is better where they give a short run down of the things they are covering and then introduce all the hosts then go into that story

2 Likes
4 Likes

It was quite an indulgent speech at almost 5 minutes long. Sounded more like he was accepting an award rather than exiting.

But not as long as Charlie Pickering’s farewell which was over 7 minutes long. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

According to an Essential Poll, 70% of Australians support the recognition of First Nations people in the constitution - so I am guessing a large chunk of people would be ok to recognise First Nations people at the start of the Project.

6 Likes

Yes but you could have the hosts record it once or graphics added to the start package of the show so its not setting a precedent for the show that could turn people off. I mean they only broadcast from 2 locations and they don’t say coming from Melbourne or Sydney. Morning shows don’t either cause it can be alienating to audiences. I feel like the woke thing is what has caused the dramatic ratings drop.

But as poster above said before I don’t think Walleed and Sarah will be a good pairing, Walleed cant take a joke and Sarah is quite dry. She will gel better with Hamish or Dr Chris Brown.

2 Likes

After 8 years you still don’t know his name is Waleed, so get over it.

7 Likes

if people are going to be that triggered by that then they’re going to be just as triggered by a graphic of the same message at the start of the show. Too bad, I say.

9 Likes

Are you serious? did you read their post? They didn’t say that at all.

2 Likes

I have always found Waleed to be great at reporting on serious stories, so I think you could be onto something if he could get his own current affairs show on a network that utilities his talents. I would dare say TEN don’t utilise his talents enough.

In regards to your first point, I did notice that myself, and he does seem uncomfortable, I think Waleed is a journalist first, and host, and probably takes the role as serious he can. I don’t think you were suggesting negative at all here, but it is interesting that you observed this yourself, because I have noticed this, but I think it was more telling when he first joined The Project. (which was what year, I forgot?).

The Project suffers from lack of diversity in my opinion. Yes they have Waleed, but they seem ultra conservative to hire someone to be at the desk on a permanent basis (such as Indigenous Person).

I think the idea of the Project lost its way quite a while, and I think hopefully with the reboot and with Lisa gone (who I might think never fitted well with the role either, she seemed stale), I am hoping myself that the show gets better :slight_smile:
And I didn’t take your posts as offensive, don’t think you were saying Australia is racist or bigots and prefer white people to host shows. But no doubt some people will try and make it about that.

Its some of the the thoughts I have recently, but you articulated it well.

Interesting nothing has been said about Pete’s replacement. I wonder if they may just keep that seat revolving and just keep Waleed & Sarah as the constants

3 Likes