The Project (2015-Sept 2020)

OK so you’ve got a show that has 2 consecutive Gold Logie winners as hosts but still struggles to rate above 600k.

What does this thread suggest they do? New timeslot, change in direction, dare we say new hosts.

Here’s my idea - make 6pm-7pm a straight news hour with Carrie and Waleed as traditional news hosts. Make it a national news, produced in a straight traditional format. Bring in a historically iconic sports reader such as Eddie McGuire, Bruce McAvaveny or Tim Webster. This is your flagship, national, Ten News Now.

Follow it with a Family Feud at 7pm, which has proven itself to do well post 7.30.

Then, at 9.30pm, bring back the same cast and rename it The Project, with the existing format in tact adding Hellier and others. It’s an Anything-Can-Happen format letting the two hosts of the above format loose.

My two cents. I just think Carrie Bickmore is too good a talent to risk being poached.

Agreed except for the 6pm-7pm news.

9.30pm for The Project seems like a really good fit. It’s had way too long in the early evening slots with mediocre ratings ( and poor ratings between 6.30pm-7pm). Something needs to change.

If the hosts have just won consecutive Gold Logies why would you want new hosts?

A 9:30pm timeslot would be good IMO. But then that leaves a gaping hole in the early schedule. Using Carrie and Waleed as traditional newsreaders in a 6pm national bulletin eliminates their strengths. Carrie is a great presenter. She isn’t a great newsreader.

4 Likes

There is a lot of questions here.

My first is is the OzTAM way of measuring ratings data accurate enough?
In the form of tv landscape does an online platform create a bigger audience than tv does? A facebook and twitter page with videos gives viewers a chance to watch short and meaningful parts of the show without having to watch for a whole hour.
I think there is a fair indication that The Project reaches a lot more than 600,000 viewers every night.

5 Likes

+1

But in the world of commercial television, even in this era, it still doesn’t mean a whole lot unfortunately

Ten are Demo’s driven. It would be interesting to see the breakdowns on a weekly average.

Why change anything and risk loosing more viewers?

1 Like

Well I hope they don’t loose the viewers because that is no way of bringing them in. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was once told that, The Project ratings aren’t really contributed by the hosts at 7pm. Its more the fact that people tune in 15mins for the big 7.30pm show.

IMO Family Feud would provide a better lead in for the 7.30pm shows, as it shows that it can be dominate up against 6pm news. Without it it may just do way better then what The Project does at the moment.

Viewers are already quite loose. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well that’s just false.

3 Likes

Dominate??? I haven’t seen it dominate once.

1 Like

Citation needed.

3 Likes

Maybe in the demos?

Still in the demos I wouldn’t say it was dominate. Nine News is regularly in the demos Family Feud (on 3 channels) is rarely.

3 Likes

Gorgi filled in for Carrie last night because Carrie was in Sydney to attend the launch of Australian Survivor.

1 Like

According to the EPGs, Gorgi Coghlan is filling in for Carrie for the rest of the week starting tonight (24.05.16)

Where is Carrie?

Carrie returns next week.

3 Likes