The Masked Singer

Have loved this series, and while I loved Dannii previously, this series the judges have been great.

1 Like

Bonnie Anderson and Daniel Doody are live tweeting during the east coast broadcast of the grand final tonight.

The second and third place performers were ripped off. Those performances were, by far, better.

Disagree. The right person won IMO.

I like that the producers gave Dave that name as a parting gift

1 Like

Another international star has won the masked singer.

Melody Thornton Wins The Masked Singer Australia.

Popstar Revealed As Mirrorball.

International popstar and former Pussycat Doll, Melody Thornton, has been crowned the winner of The Masked Singer Australia.

The American singer spun into the coveted title ahead of singers Sheldon Riley (Snapdragon) and Hugh Sheridan (Rooster).

For her final performance, Mirrorball’s reflective rendition of Donna Summers Last Dance had the judges as perplexed as ever.

Mel B was certain Mirrorball was Australian singer-songwriter, Samantha Jade, Chrissie Swan hedged her bets on socialite, Nicole Richie, Abbie Chatfield locked in American actress and singer, Hilary Duff, and Dave Hughes stunned the panel with his first correct guess of the season, insisting Mirrorball was Melody Thornton.

Asked to describe her The Masked Singer Australia experience, Melody said: “It was just so nice to have lovely comments, and encouragement as well, to bring this character to life. This really helped my relationship with myself. It brought me closer to myself. [Ultimately], you sing because you want other people to be inspired to sing.”

Second runner-up Hugh, was complimented on his comedic performances.

When asked why he decided to take part, Hugh said: "What drew me to The Masked Singer was the entertainment factor. The fact that this is a fun show. It’s my sister’s favourite show, my nephew’s favourite show. And I realised, everyone loves it. Last year I had a bunch of friends die, including my Dad… I wanted to do something fun, and I also wanted to do something to cheer up my family. ”

For runner-up Sheldon, he became emotional as he opened up about his journey from feeling the need to wear a mask, as he has done throughout his career, to finally being brave enough to take it off.

Sheldon said: "It’s been a really long road for me. I was diagnosed with Asperger’s as a kid, so people always worried about me… It wasn’t until this show that I realised that I need to be so proud of my talent, and really show people that I don’t need a mask to do what I do!”

But most of Australia (and probably the world) will be asking “Who?”.

7 Likes

I enjoyed the season overall. But i also had no idea who the winner was when it was revealed. Was a little bit of a let down. However, she was a good singer.

That felt like a set up that Hughesy would pull that name out of nowhere and be right for the first time.

5 Likes

I enjoy the reveal more when I am wrong. Melody is definitely a little known name, but a great voice. The pussycat dolls were pretty much Nicole and some other backup vocals, you’d have to be a die hard fan to know any of the other ones’ names.

4 Likes

I think after seeing this, that producer’s feed every judge a list of names they want them to say. No different to any other producer orchestrated reality show really, judges or key hosts are just puppets really. Just like the cooking shows, judge reviews are also producer reviews.

2 Likes

Sheldon is very lucky. He has been on so many singing talent shows and Eurovision Song Contest, and gone home empty handed each time.

Also I feel it’s unfair that the judges had to reply on the producer’s feed rather than the clues and the judges’ own instincts in guessing the identity of each mask.

Always wonder how people tag the wrong account, that handle for TMS doesn’t even exist.

People complained in previous seasons that there weren’t enough Internationals on there. Now they get some and people still have a whinge. Clearly the show isn’t going to be paying bucket loads for current big names Internationals (and most big names wouldn’t do it either).

I definitely know who she is. I remember in the Pussycat Dolls days watching the videos and saying that she was the only other one apart from Nicole that really had any singing roles in the group.

55 million records sold - most people will have heard songs that she’s been on and her voice, even if they say they don’t specifically remember her.

1 Like

The Masked Singer Australia Final Reveal Unmasks Its Biggest Audience Of The Year.

The Masked Singer Australia Final Reveal #1 In Its Timeslot.

• The Final Reveal national audience: 955,000 viewers. #1 in its timeslot.
  • Grand Finale national audience: 783,000 viewers. #2 in its timeslot.
  • National total viewers across the series: 821,000 viewers.
  • #2 in its timeslot across the series in total people all key demos.
  • 10 Play: Up 23% year-on-year.
  • Biggest BVOD and live stream audiences ever.
  • Reaching 5.5 million national viewers, including 2.8 million under 50s across the season.

In its fourth season, The Masked Singer Australia had audiences thrilled and astounded by the incredible line-up of big name local and international stars, culminating in 955,000 Australians tuning in to see Mirrorball unmasked as international popstar and former Pussycat Doll, Melody Thornton and crowned the 2022 winner.

Hosted by Osher GĂźnsberg and starring Mel B, Abbie Chatfield, Dave Hughes and Chrissie Swan as the guessing panel, the 2022 season of The Masked Singer Australia was a family favourite, with over half of its audience co-viewing. It ranked #2 in its timeslot in total people and all key demographics.

The show not only unmasked a national total average audience of 821,000 viewers, but over 39 million minutes were viewed on 10 Play, up 3% from 2021. Its BVOD audience also jumped 24% compared to 2021.

Social engagement with The Masked Singer Australia saw #MaskedSingerAU trending Top 4 in Australia every night, sitting at the #1 trend for four episodes this season.

Daniel Monaghan, SVP Content and Programming, said: “This year, The Masked Singer Australia delivered on star power and family fun entertainment. Incredible performances, amazing masks and jaw-dropping reveals were a winning combination across all platforms and with all ages, achieving its biggest BVOD audiences ever.

“I would like to thank our creative and imaginative crew, our partners at Warner Bros., the team at Network 10, the masks and Osher, Mel B, Dave, Abbie and Chrissie.

“Thank you also to our viewers. Their enthusiasm and passion for the show is unwavering. And congratulations to Melody for being crowned the 2022 winner.”

The Masked Singer Australia television and on-demand audience at a glance:

• The Final Reveal: 955,000 national TV viewers.
  • The Grand Finale: 783,000 national TV viewers.
  • 2022 season average: 821,000 total national viewers.
  • 2022 season average: 636,000 total capital city viewers.
  • Biggest BVOD audience ever: 67,000 viewers, up 24% year-on-year.
  • Biggest live stream audience ever: 18,000 viewers, up 20% year-on-year.

#MaskedSingerAU social success:

• Facebook total reach: 2.4 million total reach.
  • Instagram total impressions: 7.5 million.
  • Twitter total impressions: 1.5 million throughout the campaign.
  • Total Facebook video views: 447,400.
  • Total TikTok video views: 895,000.
  • Facebook engagements: 1.12 million.
  • Biggest Facebook post: Shannon Noll revealed as Blowfly. Reaction with 185,000 impressions, 3,300 engagements, 3,806 likes.
  • Biggest Instagram post: Rooster Unmasked.
  • Biggest Tweet: “It was non-stop gooseys from start to finish with Snapdragon. Thank you, Sheldon Riley”.
  • Most viewed TikTok: “Hughesy Carrying Your Love With Me” was viewed over 507,000 times with 19,800 likes.

Source: OzTAM 5 City Metro, Regional Aggregate Markets, OzTAM National VPM, National viewers includes live stream, Consolidated 7, Co-viewers live only.

2 Likes

I really don’t think that people would want an international celebrity just for the sake of them being American or British. This celebrity is a waste of money. Nobody would know her apart from a die hard Pussycat Dolls fan, which I suspect would be very few people. If it was lead singer Nicole Scherxinger thats a different story. They already Michelle Williams this season and although she is lesser known, i think she passes the celebrity test. I’m afraid Melody does not. Can’t say I remember even hearing the name before or would recognise her face.

The celebrities have to be recognisable otherwise what’s the point?

And sadly that’s what is going to be remembered about the winner of this season and not her performances. Not a good look when the headlines everywhere are about Dave Hughes’s seemingly shonky guess.

1 Like