The Latest

Someone at Seven once said that ‘viewers turn the television off and go to bed when the late news finishes’. By Seven pushing the late news back as much as they can, they are retaining viewers later into the night.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how a regular 8.30pm/9pm news bulletin on a commercial station would go.

4 Likes

lol, Seven could have easily axed the bulletin long ago. Should be thankful it is even still running with the budgetary pressures in the business.

1 Like

It could be argued that television habits of viewers now are much different to what they were years back…

4 Likes

And many decades ago it was common for a mid evening bulletin. Some of the nightly news programs are the highest rating shows on PayTv.
It’s up to 7 to make The Latest the best it can be, and must watch tv.

1 Like

On the 7plus app the latest has its own channel but nothing plays but a still imaging saying Monday-Thursday nights on 7

2 Likes

No mention of The Latest at the end of bulletins in Sydney and Brisbane tonight.

Tonight:

6 Likes

Unfortunately a shadow of its former self. How are audiences suppose to find a product that gets pulled off the air for months at a time, and then returns to forever changing late time slots with little to no promotion? Talk about handing your opposition your viewers and giving them a free run.

10 Likes

The reality is the timing of Seven’s & Nine’s late news products (and indeed whether they air full stop on a given night) are at the whims of their respective schedules.

While both would obviously benefit from airing at a consistent time (like Nightline did), we don’t live in an age anymore where the primetime schedule works around the late news.

1 Like

Gawd.
11.20… it’s getting even later!

1 Like

6 Likes

It would be interesting to know how many people watch this bulletin live on social media or online?

I find myself often watching on my phone in bed.

1 Like

I couldn’t make it. Nothing on 7 I wanted to watch from 7.00-11.20. Fell asleep around 10 and woke up about 11.40. If there had been only one ep of Amazing Race, I may have lasted.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the point though? To be the latest late news bulletin? :joy:

1 Like

Lol. Not that late!! Lol

Well Sky News and ABC have a 12am (Sydney time) bulletin :flushed:

1 Like

They should just make it 11-12 every night… night after night. You can repeat the news on the half hour.

Find a way for your 7.30-11pm programs to finish on time for an 11pm start.

2 Likes

The Latest gets a promo/preview tonight. Interesting that the scheduled shows that the bulletin starts at 11:10pm - would have been a good night for an earlier start.

2 Likes

I’ve just seen a promo with Musher on set and it says 11.05… ffs

How does the latest tend to rate? I see the point about it being too late for most viewers who have watched television throughout the night and watch 9’s earlier alternative, but what about those people who get home late/turn the tv on before bed for a flick through?

I can’t understand why 7 wouldn’t commit to a standard slot unless it is rating well enough in its current sporadic slots.

1 Like

Seven probably should have aired one episode of Showtrial, instead of a double episode, and aired The Latest at 9.40pm - with what’s happening with Ukraine and Russia.

But generally, i dont know how it compares in the 10.45 onwards slot to other shows that air in the same slot. A comparison could be The Project repeat on 10 that sometimes airs at a similar slot to each other (even if the Project is an hour long)

2 Likes