The Latest

Shame they couldn’t schedule it during the Olympics for some exposure.
Not sure what the time schedule is for the Olympics though.

3 Likes

Beijing is 3 hours behind AEDT.

2 Likes

I realise that but what are competition hours for the winter games usually? Day time? Any night time?

2 Likes

All day and through the evening, like any modern Olympics

2 Likes

I didn’t realise they did Winter Olympic events at night… So they’d be mostly wrapped up by 10.30 here, and The Latest could still air.

1 Like

That would be 7:30 Beijing so still a lot of events on the go.

2 Likes

Had a quick look at a schedule I could find. Most events in the day time or early evening. Not many past 20:00. That’s 23:00 AEDT. I reckon they could wrap up, schedule The Latest and go back to coverage if they really wish. Or have a highlights package after The Latest.
Just thinking of an opportunity to re-promote the program. But that said, if 7 are going to treat it as poorly as they did it year, there’s probably no point.

2 Likes

Returns Monday 21 February 11:15pm

8 Likes

Too late

1 Like

Rest of the schedule next week is Tuesday 11:00pm, Wednesday 10:45pm and Thursday 11:10 pm assuming the schedule holds up.

1 Like

Might see a few minutes of Wednesday then. Anything starting after 11pm is way too late for most weekday workers. Is it really worth all the effort for that time of night?

2 Likes

I was going to say the same thing too. Seems like they’re flogging a dead horse when Nine are arguably delivering a better, more consistent product.

I understand they want to delay the bulletin as late as possible to retain viewers later into the night, but you’d wonder if other shows could achieve that goal.

5 Likes

Nine are more consistent and seem to value their program more, but The Latest is a superior bulletin IMO.

3 Likes

No.

1 Like

They lose me in the end because I can’t be bothered waiting for the late start, so I just switch off.
Plus…
If 9’s Late News is on earlier, anyone wanting news will watch that instead of waiting another hour. So they lose out in the end.

3 Likes

The Latest times this upcoming week so far:
21 Feb 11:15pm
22 Feb 11pm
23 Feb 10:45pm
24 Feb 11:10pm

2 Likes

Very late for the average viewer on a weekday

4 Likes

So we want The Latest to air at the same time as Nine’s Late News, ABC’s Late News and SBS’s Late News?

I know that i have also said in the past how late and inconsistent The Latest is. But think that it gets viewers watching Seven to stay on the network even later, for the few night owls out there. And that since the primetime ratings shares go until midnight, then that small market at 11pm could work in their favour perhaps? Just a thought. Instead of airing some US Import that noone watches.

3 Likes

If I want late night news, I’ll watch 9s earlier bulletin then go to bed, rather than watching some US show I’m not interested in until The Latest comes on.

1 Like

With Seven’s post 8.30/9pm slot so bare and full of imported crap, I just don’t get why Seven can’t give The Latest a slot after their reality show (which seems to go overtime anyway) and have the other imported stuff afterwards.

But considering they’ve treated the bulletin with contempt in recent years I’d be surprised if they do anything at all.

2 Likes