The Latest

Agree, it’s quite ridiculous, how do they expect to a build an audience? I almost wonder if they’re just putting it on late so it gets low numbers and therefore that would justify axing the show at the end of the year.

In fact, I think they should just axe The Latest and start fresh in 2021 with Seven Late News, to air 8:30pm-9:00pm on Sunday’s, and 9:00pm-9:30pm from Monday to Thursday. It would just be a straight up news bulletin, which would also include a sport and weather presenter. There would be no interviews because it would just slow down the pace of the bulletin.

And then the dramas/U.S. imports would proceed immediately after the Late News.

I think there is demand for a 8:30pm/9:00pm news bulletin. A lot of people would work later in the evening and miss the 6pm news, so they could then watch a 8:30pm/9:00pm bulletin instead.

This scenario sounds like it could work - but who would be presenting?

2 Likes

I would ideally have Angela Cox or Angie Asimus. I’m not really fussed, as long as they can do all five days from Sunday to Thursday, so that the audience can get used to that one presenter.

Sport would be presented by Mel McLaughlin and Weather would be presented by David Brown.

2 Likes

I don’t think David would be too happy. He starts the weather from 11:30am for the morning news.

Plus, why skip Fridays and Saturdays?

1 Like

AFL

1 Like

He would be replaced on the Morning News otherwise his work day would be too long.

It’s not economically viable to air the bulletin seven nights a week with lower viewing numbers on Friday & Saturday’s, however it may be scheduled on the odd Friday & Saturday here and there after major sporting games to capitalise on that audience.

2 Likes

I would expect both Seven and Nine to air news after the NRL/AFL, but instead they play movies…

2 Likes

Please. We have 5am 11am, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm,7pm, 1030pm straight up news bulletins. It’s taken us 20 years to get something that is different and has some innovation and new ideas behind it. And you wanna cull it?

8 Likes

The Latest is a pretty good show on the whole, but unfortunately it’s buried late at night with not many people watching it. Surely there’s more demand for a news bulletin at 8:30pm/9:00pm than The Latest which roughly airs around 10:45pm/11:00pm each night?

Otherwise put The Latest earlier in the night where more people will watch it and it can develop a loyal following. And choose between Angela Cox or Michael Usher so that they can become the “face” of the bulletin, instead of having a different presenter every 2-3 nights.

1 Like

I’ve maintained all along

7.00 Home and Away
7.30 Primetime
9.30 The Latest
10.00 Late Night

7 Likes

Just out of interest: Why are people on here so keen on news bulletins at 9:30?

2 Likes

Cause they don’t exist right now and FTA gives up at that time usually and loses its audience? Plus local news rates the best out of everything?

4 Likes

“Loses it’s audience” or it’s audience starts going to bed? Is there a reason they don’t exist?

The ratings at 9:30 just aren’t bad enough to justify changing the line up from entertainment, and at the end of the day those ratings justify the advertising sales.

I don’t get it.

1 Like

There’s mixed emotions… some would like to watch it since they finish work late… or others would change channels since they are been at home all day…

2 Likes

Stats show streaming explodes after reality shows finish at 8.30/9.

1 Like

I’ve spent most of my life working shift work, at no time have I ever had a late shift get me home in time to watch a 8:30/9:30 bulletin.
I was a late news fan back in the day, but like most people I’ve moved online.

The reason people switch to streaming may just mean people want better entertainment offerings than the FTA channels can provide. Doesn’t mean news is the answer.

2 Likes

Also, I’m asking out of serious interest, do you have a reference for these studies?
I thought I’ve read that streaming has only been recorded over a 24hr period (mainly in covid articles).

There’s no way to tell where viewers go… some change channels, some turn off the tv, some do other activities, some switch to YouTube etc… hard to tell

The whole idea is to place a late news bulletin at night so viewers can watch after reality programs… it can be 30 mins max

2 Likes

The Latest will not be airing tonight :roll_eyes:

2 Likes